-   -   Server GUI (Was Mac look alike) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/287826-server-gui-mac-look-alike.html)

Andrew Farris 11-29-2009 06:04 PM

Server GUI (Was Mac look alike)

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 12:39 -0500, Bob wrote:
> Is there a way to run a gui for the server end? Someone like myself
> that is tired of using MS does not have a whole lot of time entering
> and learning code. I would love to use Umbuntu but for 100.00 for ms
> server home it seems almost worth it to stay with MS.

Please don't hijack threads. The only reason I even noticed your
question was because because I'm going through my inbox and violently
purging all references to this stupid ongoing linux vs. mac vs. windows
thread.

to install a deskop environment on your server you have 2 options:
1. Install a standard desktop environment, then install your server
apps on top of it
2. Install a server environment/apps then install a GUI.

My guess would be that you want the latter...and if this is the case,
after running the installer and setting up your server, run the
following:

Andrew Farris 11-29-2009 06:06 PM

Server GUI (Was Mac look alike)

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 12:39 -0500, Bob wrote:
> Is there a way to run a gui for the server end? Someone like myself
> that is tired of using MS does not have a whole lot of time entering
> and learning code. I would love to use Umbuntu but for 100.00 for ms
> server home it seems almost worth it to stay with MS.

Please don't hijack threads. The only reason I even noticed your
question was because because I'm going through my inbox and violently
purging all references to this stupid ongoing linux vs. mac vs. windows
thread.

to install a deskop environment on your server you have 2 options:
1. Install a standard desktop environment, then install your server
apps on top of it
2. Install a server environment/apps then install a GUI.

My guess would be that you want the latter...and if this is the case,
after running the installer and setting up your server, run the
following:
sudo apt-get install gnome

This will get you a basic gnome environment without a lot of the fluff
that the full desktop environment brings in.

Hope that helps.

--
Andrew