Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Alan McKay

Default where is grip ripper?

Hey folks,

A buddy of mine always goes on about cdparanoia and grip - which is
part of why I switched my desktop to Linux.

I found cdparanoia, but cannot find grip. I don't think it is any of these :

root@alan-ubuntu:~# apt-cache search grip
emdebian-archive-keyring - GnuPG archive keys for the emdebian repository
emdebian-grip - support for the Grip flavour of Emdebian
emdebian-grip-server - server-side support for Emdebian Grip
libdebian-packages-compare-perl - emdebian repository comparison support
tk-tile - A themed widget set provider library for Tk

My buddy is a red hat guy so maybe we just don't have that?

I've got a bunch of WAVs that I just wrote a script for to convert to
mp3, and he mentioned that with grip it will go out to the internet
and get all the ID3 info and embed it into the mp3. So alternately,
can anyone recommend a way to do that in ubuntu. Preferably a way
that is scriptable because I have a bunch of WAVs and do not want to
have to load each one manually.

thanks,
-Alan

Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Alan McKay

Aha, it was yanked in 9.10 by the maintainer

http://www.dwasifar.com/?p=836

I have RipperX now installed.

So no longer being maintained?

What is involved in being the maintainer and how would I get ahold of
the former maintainer to obtain his work? Depending on the effort
involved I could envision taking it over - would be a good way to
learn by fire :-)

Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Avi Schwartz

Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> A buddy of mine always goes on about cdparanoia and grip - which is
> part of why I switched my desktop to Linux.
>
> I found cdparanoia, but cannot find grip. I don't think it is any of these :
>
> root@alan-ubuntu:~# apt-cache search grip
> emdebian-archive-keyring - GnuPG archive keys for the emdebian repository
> emdebian-grip - support for the Grip flavour of Emdebian
> emdebian-grip-server - server-side support for Emdebian Grip
> libdebian-packages-compare-perl - emdebian repository comparison support
> tk-tile - A themed widget set provider library for Tk
>
> My buddy is a red hat guy so maybe we just don't have that?
>
> I've got a bunch of WAVs that I just wrote a script for to convert to
> mp3, and he mentioned that with grip it will go out to the internet
> and get all the ID3 info and embed it into the mp3. So alternately,
> can anyone recommend a way to do that in ubuntu. Preferably a way
> that is scriptable because I have a bunch of WAVs and do not want to
> have to load each one manually.
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

Ubuntu used to have grip available until 9.10 and then it was dropped
supposedly because it is no longer maintained. I looked for similar GUI
based rippers that can handle flac properly and found none that I liked.
I ended up settling on RipIT which is text (console) based but it is
doing a superb job of ripping, tagging and encoding. It is in the
repositories so you may want to give it a try.

Tip: run it once and then then modify the text file ~/.ripit/config and
set all your default configuration there. Once you do it all you have
to do is just run ripit and it will do the rest automatically.

Avi

Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Alan McKay

Well, I just tried RipperX and it seems nice, though it is not obeying
my commands!

I went into config and set it to rip at 320 bit rate instead of 128.
So I go rip and then do "file" command on the resulting files, and it
says they are 128

Grrrrr.

I'll try RipIT - thanks

Old 11-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Steve Grace

Alan McKay wrote:

> I found cdparanoia, but cannot find grip.

As James Michael Fultz kindly pointed out here on November 17, Grip is
available from a PPA:

> https://launchpad.net/~futurepilot/+archive/ppa
> https://launchpad.net/~kirkland/+archive/ppa

> If you've never used a PPA before, you can read more information on
> installing software from a PPA from the following link.

> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/InstallingSoftware

I downloaded Grip from the first PPA and installed it with no trouble.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Alan McKay

> *> If you've never used a PPA before, you can read more information on
> *> installing software from a PPA from the following link.

Cool, thanks. I'm very new to Ubuntu - been a Red Hat guy for years
and figured it was time to learn a new flavour of Linux :-)

Old 11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Alan McKay

> As James Michael Fultz kindly pointed out here on November 17, Grip is
> available from a PPA:
>
> *> https://launchpad.net/~futurepilot/+archive/ppa
> *> https://launchpad.net/~kirkland/+archive/ppa

Word-up! Got it going - very nice program.

Thanks!