Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Alan McKay

Default where did my 2nd screen go?

Hey again folks!

This is tangentially related to my ntop issue. After I got ntop
installed, it hung my machine solid when I tried to run it. Hmmmm.
So I figured I jig with my video drivers just because I was suspicious
about them to begin with :-)

A bit of history - I'd been running Vista on this box for a year now -
Acer Aspire 1200 with an integrated nVidia card that says it is a
GeForce 9200. The Ubuntu 9.10 live CD ran fine and I got a good
display on my main VGA display - but nothing on my HDMI TV. I'd just
recently bought an HDMI cable and and new LCD TV so have been finally
taking advantage of this feature of my PC to watch movies.

Anyway, live CD worked fun, but when I installed and rebooted, it came
up and X was not working - I just got a flickery screen with a text
login prompt. I could not CTRL-ALT-anything to get a text console.
Though I eventually did get one by luck I guess. By this time I'd
read about envyng and had it downloaded, so I ran it and rebooted - it
worked! I even got my HDMI TV going though it seemed a bit flakey.

The driver that envyng got me was 185.18.36

In the meantime I'd looked at the nVidia site manually and downloaded
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.42-pkg2.run, but did install it.

Then after my ntop hung, I figured what the heck, I'd try the manual
one. So I did envyng --uninstall-all and when I rebooted I was back
to my flickery screen with no X and no way to log in. That's when I
discovered from another PC that Ubuntu does not have the ssh server by
default :-) Luckily I'd installed webmin and was able to install the
ssh server with it, and get in.

So I ran the manual NVIDIA driver, it built and installed, but when my
PC came back up I went into the nVidia display tool and it did not see
my 2nd monitor anymore! My LCD TV. I tried a bunch of stuff and
nada. So I figured I'd put the envyng back on there (but not without
first trying ntop with this driver - still hung). Not knowing how to
uninstall the manual driver, I just ran envyng again and it appeared
to install fine. I boot, and here I am now. The installed driver is
once again 185.18.36 - but still no sign of my 2nd display from within
the nVidia tool.

Any help out there? Did I do something wrong?

I really suck at X-based Linux :-( I've dealt with servers for many
years now but all my knowledge falls down when it comes to displays.

thanks,
-Alan

Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Alan McKay

No takers? I found this :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XineramaHowTo

but it does not seem to help me any.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Alan McKay

This is the file I downloaded and ran

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.42-pkg2.run

THis is what modinfo says after a reboot

amckay@alan-ubuntu:~$ modinfo nvidia
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
license: NVIDIA
alias: char-major-195-*
alias: pci:v000010DEd00000AA3sv*sd*bc0Bsc40i00*
alias: pci:v000010DEd00000E00sv*sd*bc04sc80i00*
alias: pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc02i00*
alias: pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc00i00*
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.31-14-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: NVreg_EnableVia4x:int
parm: NVreg_EnableALiAGP:int
parm: NVreg_ReqAGPRate:int
parm: NVreg_EnableAGPSBA:int
parm: NVreg_EnableAGPFW:int
parm: NVreg_Mobile:int
parm: NVreg_ResmanDebugLevel:int
parm: NVreg_RmLogonRC:int
parm: NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles:int
parm: NVreg_DeviceFileUID:int
parm: NVreg_DeviceFileGID:int
parm: NVreg_DeviceFileMode:int
parm: NVreg_RemapLimit:int
parm: NVreg_UpdateMemoryTypes:int
parm: NVreg_UseVBios:int
parm: NVreg_RMEdgeIntrCheck:int
parm: NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable:int
parm: NVreg_EnableMSI:int
parm: NVreg_MapRegistersEarly:int
parm: NVreg_RegistryDwords:charp
parm: NVreg_NvAGP:int

Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Alan McKay

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

I go to the hardware drivers panel and only 173 and 185 are listed,
and it says 185 is in use.

185 is the one I got through envy, but 190 is the one I just installed.

It does not show up.

Of course it says :

The Hardware Drivers tool may not work properly on machines that have
previously used third party tools like 'Envy' or manual installation
to install previous drivers. You should remove those drivers before
attempting to install using the built in tool.

Which worries me. I've already uninstalled it and put in the 190
driver, as mentioned. But this still appears to be dogging me. So
how do I manually rip all that stuff out and install 190 again? Will
it work if I do a reinstall without reformatting?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Alan McKay

Oh, one more thing - looks from the NVRM message below that Ubuntu
still thinks it has the 185 driver

Do I read that right?

root@alan-ubuntu:/media/LaCie/ubuntu# dmesg | grep -i nv
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: 00000000afef0000 - 00000000afef3000 (ACPI NVS)
[ 0.000000] modified: 00000000afef0000 - 00000000afef3000 (ACPI NVS)
[ 0.000000] ACPI: RSDT 00000000afef3000 0003C (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT
42302E31 NVDA 00000000)
[ 0.000000] ACPI: FACP 00000000afef3080 00074 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT
42302E31 NVDA 00000000)
[ 0.000000] ACPI: HPET 00000000afefe2c0 00038 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT
42302E31 NVDA 00000098)
[ 0.000000] ACPI: SLIC 00000000afefe300 00176 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT
42302E31 NVDA 00000000)
[ 0.000000] ACPI: MCFG 00000000afefe480 0003C (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT
42302E31 NVDA 00000000)
[ 0.000000] ACPI: APIC 00000000afefdf40 0008E (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT
42302E31 NVDA 00000000)
[ 0.791977] ACPI: Invalid passive threshold
[ 0.963921] rtc0: alarms up to one year, y3k, 242 bytes nvram, hpet irqs
[ 8.344887] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 8.600913] nvidia 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[AIGP] -> GSI 21
(level, low) -> IRQ 21
[ 8.600919] nvidia 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
[ 8.601226] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module
185.18.36 Fri Aug 14 17:35:21 PDT 2009
[ 14.203475] usplash:424 freeing invalid memtype
ffffffffe7000000-ffffffffe7e00000

Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Werner Schram

This is more of a reply to all five of you messages, but I'm not going
to quote all of them. Summarized: You tried to install the nvidia 190
driver (from the nvidia site), but now your 2nd monitor isn't recognized
anymore and it looks like the 185 driver is still loading. Am I correct
at that?

Alan McKay wrote:
> Oh, one more thing - looks from the NVRM message below that Ubuntu
> still thinks it has the 185 driver
>
> Do I read that right?
>
> root@alan-ubuntu:/media/LaCie/ubuntu# dmesg | grep -i nv
>
> [ 8.601226] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module
> 185.18.36 Fri Aug 14 17:35:21 PDT 2009

Yes, it seems that you are still loading the 185 module.
> amckay@alan-ubuntu:~$ modinfo nvidia
> filename: /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
According to this, your module is installed in for the 2.6.31-14 kernel.
Is this the kernel you are currently running? Because the latest is
2.6.31-15. Maybe this is related to your problem?

could you inventorize which nvidia modules are currently at your
machine? Do this by running the following commands in a terminal:

updatedb
locate nvidia.ko

Could you also post which kernel you are running (uname -a)?

Regards,
Werner

Old 12-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Alan McKay

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Werner Schram <wrschram@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is more of a reply to all five of you messages, but I'm not going
> to quote all of them. Summarized: You tried to install the nvidia 190
> driver (from the nvidia site), but now your 2nd monitor isn't recognized
> anymore and it looks like the 185 driver is still loading. Am I correct
> at that?

Yes. I loaded 185 via "envyng", then I discovered the 190 on the website.
So I used envy to uninstall 185, and then manually installed 190 with
the download
from the webiste

> According to this, your module is installed in for the 2.6.31-14 kernel.
> Is this the kernel you are currently running? Because the latest is
> 2.6.31-15. Maybe this is related to your problem?

amckay@alan-ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux alan-ubuntu 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01
UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> could you inventorize which nvidia modules are currently at your
> machine? Do this by running the following commands in a terminal:
>
> updatedb
> locate nvidia.ko

I normally prefer find to locate, but just because you asked :-)
root@alan-ubuntu:~# locate nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko
/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/185.18.36/2.6.31-14-generic/x86_64/module/nvidia.ko
/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/185.18.36/build/.nvidia.ko.cmd
/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/185.18.36/build/nvidia.ko

Danke Werner!

cheers,
-Alan

Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Werner Schram

Alan McKay wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Werner Schram <wrschram@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is more of a reply to all five of you messages, but I'm not going
>> to quote all of them. Summarized: You tried to install the nvidia 190
>> driver (from the nvidia site), but now your 2nd monitor isn't recognized
>> anymore and it looks like the 185 driver is still loading. Am I correct
>> at that?
>>

> Yes. I loaded 185 via "envyng", then I discovered the 190 on the website.
> So I used envy to uninstall 185, and then manually installed 190 with
> the download
> from the webiste
>

>> According to this, your module is installed in for the 2.6.31-14 kernel.
>> Is this the kernel you are currently running? Because the latest is
>> 2.6.31-15. Maybe this is related to your problem?
>>

> amckay@alan-ubuntu:~$ uname -a
> Linux alan-ubuntu 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01
> UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ok, so we can rule that one out.

>> could you inventorize which nvidia modules are currently at your
>> machine? Do this by running the following commands in a terminal:
>>
>> updatedb
>> locate nvidia.ko
>>

> I normally prefer find to locate, but just because you asked :-)
> root@alan-ubuntu:~# locate nvidia.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko
> /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/185.18.36/2.6.31-14-generic/x86_64/module/nvidia.ko
> /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/185.18.36/build/.nvidia.ko.cmd
> /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/185.18.36/build/nvidia.ko

There are two nvidia.ko modules in /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic. To my
knowledge /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko is the
path used by the ubuntu package manager, so
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko should be
the path used by the nvidia installer.

You can try to load the other one manually by stopping gdm, unloading
the wrong module, loading the right one and restarting gdm:

sudo services gdm stop
modprobe -r nvidia
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
sudo services gdm start

If that enables the 190 driver, you can start looking at why the 185 one
is still around. It looks like the other one is from the ubuntu
restricted repository. But I don't know where envyng installs the
module, so it might as wel be the one from envyng. But it might be worth
checking if it shows up in synaptec.

My advice would be to remove all of them, make sure they are all gone,
and then installing the one you want. The three methods are probably
overwriting at least some of each others files, so removing one while
retaining the other might not be so easy.
> Danke Werner!

You're close, it is a German name, but I am from the Netherlands

Groeten,
Werner

Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Alan McKay

> My advice would be to remove all of them, make sure they are all gone,
> and then installing the one you want. The three methods are probably
> overwriting at least some of each others files, so removing one while
> retaining the other might not be so easy.

Ok, I did this and re-ran the 190 install and have verified that this
is the driver in place. Of course I am still back to my problem where
it only sees my monitor and not my HDMI TV :-(

Any tips on that?

As mentioned, I had the TV showing up fine with the 185 driver
originally, but I wanted to run the latest driver and that's when
everything fell apart :-(

> You're close, it is a German name, but I am from the Netherlands

Whoops, sorry.

Well, I hope you are having a happy Sinterklaas then :-)

cheers,
-Alan

Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Alan McKay

I don't know if this is of any interest or not but

amckay@alan-ubuntu:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ri nvidia-173-modaliases 173.14.20-0ubuntu5
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii nvidia-185-kernel-source 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii nvidia-185-libvdpau 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
ii nvidia-185-modaliases 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii nvidia-96-modaliases 96.43.13-0ubuntu6
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii nvidia-common 0.2.15.1
Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii nvidia-glx-185 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii nvidia-settings 180.25-0ubuntu1
Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv

Then when I do dpkg -L on nvidia-glx-185 I see this odd entry :

package diverts others to: /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xserver-xorg-core

The reason I find it odd is because when I was installing the 190
driver I got a couple of error messages about not being able to find
that file.

Which of the above nvidia packages can I remove with dpkg -r ???

Then install the 190 driver.

Does the 190 driver need any of those?