-   -   Maximum volume on startup on laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/287569-maximum-volume-startup-laptop.html)

Cameron Hutchison 11-28-2009 10:27 PM

Maximum volume on startup on laptop

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell inspirion 8500, and when it
start up and shows the login screen, it plays a short sound. This is
played at maximum volume, and I can't find any way to make it play at a
lower volume or not at all.

It also plays the login sound at max volume, but I could turn that off
by changing my preferences for sound. Those preferences do not apply to
the login window, so every time I start my laptop, I get a VERY loud
drum sound that makes everyone turn around and ask "what was that?"

How can I make Ubuntu 9.10 remember a decent volume on startup?

Steve 11-28-2009 10:35 PM

Maximum volume on startup on laptop

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:27:22 -0000, Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net>
wrote:

> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell inspirion 8500, and when it
> start up and shows the login screen, it plays a short sound. This is
> played at maximum volume, and I can't find any way to make it play at a
> lower volume or not at all.
>
> It also plays the login sound at max volume, but I could turn that off
> by changing my preferences for sound. Those preferences do not apply to
> the login window, so every time I start my laptop, I get a VERY loud
> drum sound that makes everyone turn around and ask "what was that?"
>
> How can I make Ubuntu 9.10 remember a decent volume on startup?

I have Alert volume muted and Sound theme set to No sounds in Sound
Preferences and don’t get the drum roll at the beginning.

--
Steve

Cameron Hutchison 11-30-2009 10:42 PM

Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> writes:
>On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:27:22 -0000, Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net>
>wrote:

>> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell inspirion 8500, and when it
>> start up and shows the login screen, it plays a short sound. This is
>> played at maximum volume, and I can't find any way to make it play at a
>> lower volume or not at all.
>>
>> How can I make Ubuntu 9.10 remember a decent volume on startup?
>>
>I have Alert volume muted and Sound theme set to No sounds in Sound
>Preferences and donâ??t get the drum roll at the beginning.

I had the Alert volume at one notch above minimum, but I'm at a loss to
see how that would apply anyway, since these are per-user settings and
are not applied until after login.

I guess I'll have to delve into how the sound system is set up in
Ubuntu. I know it uses pulseaudio, but that is usually started as a user
level daemon - so what does gdm do before login? Maybe next weekend I'll
get some time to look into it.

Steve 11-30-2009 10:57 PM

Maximum volume on startup on laptop

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:42:35 -0000, Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net>
wrote:

>>> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell inspirion 8500, and when
>>> it
>>> start up and shows the login screen, it plays a short sound. This is
>>> played at maximum volume, and I can't find any way to make it play at a
>>> lower volume or not at all.
>>>
>>> How can I make Ubuntu 9.10 remember a decent volume on startup?
>>>
>> I have Alert volume muted and Sound theme set to No sounds in Sound
>> Preferences and don’t get the drum roll at the beginning.
>
> I had the Alert volume at one notch above minimum, but I'm at a loss to
> see how that would apply anyway, since these are per-user settings and
> are not applied until after login.
>
> I guess I'll have to delve into how the sound system is set up in
> Ubuntu. I know it uses pulseaudio, but that is usually started as a user
> level daemon - so what does gdm do before login? Maybe next weekend I'll
> get some time to look into it.

I forgot to reply earlier, after playing with the above settings.
Altering them doesn’t make any difference to the login sound It just
provides noises after I’ve logged in. Mine was an upgrade from 9.04 where
I had the logon sounds turned off, i wonder if a setting has been left
from 9.04.
--
Steve

"Mark C. Miller" 12-01-2009 10:29 PM

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:57:29 +0000, Steve wrote:

> forgot to reply earlier, after playing with the above settings.
> Altering them doesn’t make any difference to the login sound It just
> provides noises after I’ve logged in. Mine was an upgrade from 9.04
> where I had the logon sounds turned off, i wonder if a setting has been
> left
> from 9.04.
> --

At least you've got audio. I haven't had any since the upgrade. I'd
love to hear what you find out ... perhaps I can sort of reverse engineer
my problem based on your solution.

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA