-   -   PC crashed during "apt-get install" (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/287539-pc-crashed-during-apt-get-install.html)

Alan McKay 11-28-2009 09:01 PM

PC crashed during "apt-get install"

Hey folks,

I was doing "apt-get install ntop" and something unrelated to this
activity caused my PC to hang.

Now I can not install it nor remove it - it is stuck in between

I should mention that I've only been using Ubuntu for about a day now.
I've got tonnes of experience with the Fedora / Redhat distros and
decided it was time I learn something about Debian/Ubuntu. Looks like
I'll accomplish that :-)

I've been googling for about a half hour now but cannot find any way
to correct this :

root@alan-ubuntu:/usr/share/media/videos/Muppets# apt-get install ntop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ntop is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up ntop (3:3.3-11ubuntu1) ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute installed post-installation
script: Exec format error
dpkg: error processing ntop (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
ntop

Marius Gedminas 11-28-2009 09:24 PM

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 05:01:59PM -0500, Alan McKay wrote:
> I was doing "apt-get install ntop" and something unrelated to this
> activity caused my PC to hang.
>
> Now I can not install it nor remove it - it is stuck in between
> root@alan-ubuntu:/usr/share/media/videos/Muppets# apt-get install ntop
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> ntop is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up ntop (3:3.3-11ubuntu1) ...
> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute installed post-installation
> script: Exec format error

Interesting. I've never seen "Exec format error" before. Looks like
the crash damaged /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst.

> dpkg: error processing ntop (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> ntop

Try

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ntop

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
There are a lotta computer languages out there doing drugs.
-- Larry Wall

Florian Diesch 11-28-2009 09:37 PM

Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey folks,
>
> I was doing "apt-get install ntop" and something unrelated to this
> activity caused my PC to hang.
>
> Now I can not install it nor remove it - it is stuck in between
>
> I should mention that I've only been using Ubuntu for about a day now.
> I've got tonnes of experience with the Fedora / Redhat distros and
> decided it was time I learn something about Debian/Ubuntu. Looks like
> I'll accomplish that :-)
>
> I've been googling for about a half hour now but cannot find any way
> to correct this :
>
> root@alan-ubuntu:/usr/share/media/videos/Muppets# apt-get install ntop
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> ntop is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up ntop (3:3.3-11ubuntu1) ...
> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute installed post-installation
> script: Exec format error
> dpkg: error processing ntop (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> ntop

I guess /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst is an empty file.

Run
echo '#!/bin/sh'| sudo tee /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ntop

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>

Alan McKay 11-28-2009 09:38 PM

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> *sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst
> *sudo apt-get install --reinstall ntop

You da man - that did it!

Alan McKay 11-28-2009 09:41 PM

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
>> *sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst
>> *sudo apt-get install --reinstall ntop
>
> You da man - that did it!

Whoops, no. ntop binary was there but the man page was empty.

So I did

apt-get remove ntop
apt-get install --reinstall ntop

and now it seems fine :-)

Peter Humphrey 11-28-2009 11:35 PM

On Saturday 28 November 2009 22:24:09 Marius Gedminas wrote:

> I've never seen "Exec format error" before.

It's bitten me several times on a Gentoo system. It meant that I was
trying to execute a 32-bit bash after chrooting from a 64-bit bash, or
vice-versa, or that I'd mounted the target partition without -o exec.

--
Rgds
Peter