Old 11-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Default help with partition

I have two versions of ubuntu installed, 8.10 and 9.10.* I want to reduce the amount of space allocated to the partition on which 8.04 is installed and allocated to the 9.04 partition, which is getting tight on space.* I have studied various tutorials and I have been able to reduce the size of the 8.10 (sda2) but can not access it from 9.10 (sda4).* Do I need to do this from a live version of gparted and is it just that I need to mount it?

My apologies if this isnot the right forum.

thanks

gary

Old 11-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Christian Schult

Hello Gary,

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I have two versions of ubuntu installed, 8.10 and 9.10. I want to reduce
> the amount of space allocated to the partition on which 8.04 is installed
> and allocated to the 9.04 partition, which is getting tight on space. I
> have studied various tutorials and I have been able to reduce the size of
> the 8.10 (sda2) but can not access it from 9.10 (sda4). Do I need to do
> this from a live version of gparted and is it just that I need to mount it?

I guess you did this while running Ubuntu 9.10 (sda4). Boot Ubuntu 8.10
(sda2) and expand /dev/sda4 from there with gparted. /dev/sda4 has to be
unmounted while resizing it.

Christian

Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

> I have two versions of ubuntu installed, 8.10 and 9.10. *I want to reduce

> the amount of space allocated to the partition on which 8.04 is installed

> and allocated to the 9.04 partition, which is getting tight on space. *I

> have studied various tutorials and I have been able to reduce the size of

> the 8.10 (sda2) but can not access it from 9.10 (sda4). *Do I need to do

> this from a live version of gparted and is it just that I need to mount it?

I guess you did this while running Ubuntu 9.10 (sda4). Boot Ubuntu 8.10

(sda2) and expand /dev/sda4 from there with gparted. /dev/sda4 has to be

unmounted while resizing it.

Christian

I did this while running 9.10.* I then saw i couldnot do what I wanted to do within 9.10 so I ran 8.10 but could not make sda4 much bigger than it already is.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

> I have two versions of ubuntu installed, 8.10 and 9.10. *I want to reduce

> the amount of space allocated to the partition on which 8.04 is installed

> and allocated to the 9.04 partition, which is getting tight on space. *I

> have studied various tutorials and I have been able to reduce the size of

> the 8.10 (sda2) but can not access it from 9.10 (sda4). *Do I need to do

> this from a live version of gparted and is it just that I need to mount it?

I guess you did this while running Ubuntu 9.10 (sda4). Boot Ubuntu 8.10

(sda2) and expand /dev/sda4 from there with gparted. /dev/sda4 has to be

unmounted while resizing it.

Christian

I did this while running 9.10.* I then saw i couldnot do what I wanted to do within 9.10 so I ran 8.10 but could not make sda4 much bigger than it already is.

Christian, what if I were to resize sda2 (8.10) from within 9.10 and then load 8.10 and rezie 9.10 from within it?* I checked to see if that would be allowed and it would and would then get me backto where I started from.

thanks

gary

Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
NoOp

On 11/28/2009 01:33 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I have two versions of ubuntu installed, 8.10 and 9.10. I want to
> reduce the amount of space allocated to the partition on which 8.04
> is installed and allocated to the 9.04 partition, which is getting
> tight on space. I have studied various tutorials and I have been
> able to reduce the size of the 8.10 (sda2) but can not access it from
> 9.10 (sda4). Do I need to do this from a live version of gparted and
> is it just that I need to mount it?

Yes. No.

Yes, boot from a liveCD and use gparted to resize the partitions.
No. Do not mount the partitions.

*Warning* back up your critical data before messing with partition
resizing et al.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Steve

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:19:38 -0000, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 11/28/2009 01:33 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> I have two versions of ubuntu installed, 8.10 and 9.10. I want to
>> reduce the amount of space allocated to the partition on which 8.04
>> is installed and allocated to the 9.04 partition, which is getting
>> tight on space. I have studied various tutorials and I have been
>> able to reduce the size of the 8.10 (sda2) but can not access it from
>> 9.10 (sda4). Do I need to do this from a live version of gparted and
>> is it just that I need to mount it?
>
> Yes. No.
>
> Yes, boot from a liveCD and use gparted to resize the partitions.
> No. Do not mount the partitions.
>
> *Warning* back up your critical data before messing with partition
> resizing et al.

It also depends on where the partitions are on the disk. I think you can
only extend/shrink a partition from the end not the start.
--
Steve

Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Nils Kassube

Steve wrote:
> It also depends on where the partitions are on the disk. I think you
> can only extend/shrink a partition from the end not the start.

Well, if you use gparted it works with both ends. If you shrink a
partition from the start, gparted would actually first shrink it from
the end and then move the partition. While it does work, it takes a very
long time (many hours depending on partition size).

Nils

Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

Steve wrote:

> It also depends on where the partitions are on the disk. I think you

> *can only extend/shrink a partition from the end *not the start.

Well, if you use gparted it works with both ends. If you shrink a

partition from the start, gparted would actually first shrink it from

the end and then move the partition. While it does work, it takes a very

long time (many hours depending on partition size).

Nils

I was finally able to resize sda4.* My problem was that I did not realize that in order for sda4 to expand into sda2 I had to shrink the size of sda2 in this case to the left, so that the free space would be next to sda4.* I did not know this mattered.* Maybe I missed something in the instructions or tutorials I have been reading.*

When I did so I created a partition which was assigned sda1.* From within 9.10 I can look at this partition but can not write to it.* I want to be able to store data there.* What do I have to do?* Should I have created a logical partition instead?

gary

Old 11-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Nils Kassube

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> When I did so I created a partition which was assigned sda1. From
> within 9.10 I can look at this partition but can not write to it. I
> want to be able to store data there. What do I have to do? Should
> I have created a logical partition instead?

No, for the permissions there is no difference between logical and
primary partition. I suppose your partition has an ext2/3/4 file system.
Then the file permissions are stored on the partition for the individual
files and initially everything is owned by root. If you want to write to
the new partition as a normal user, I would suggest you create a new
directory for your UID and change ownership. If your partition is at
/media/sda1 the commands in a terminal would be this:

sudo mkdir /media/sda1/$USER
sudo chown $USER: /media/sda1/$USER

Nils

Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> When I did so I created a partition which was assigned sda1. *From

> *within 9.10 I can look at this partition but can not write to it. *I

> *want to be able to store data there. *What do I have to do? *Should

> *I have created a logical partition instead?

No, for the permissions there is no difference between logical and

primary partition. I suppose your partition has an ext2/3/4 file system.

Then the file permissions are stored on the partition for the individual

files and initially everything is owned by root. If you want to write to

the new partition as a normal user, I would suggest you create a new

directory for your UID and change ownership. If your partition is at

/media/sda1 the commands in a terminal would be this:

sudo mkdir /media/sda1/$USER

sudo chown $USER: /media/sda1/$USER

Nils

For USER I substitute my user name?* How do I know where my partition is, or does this simply mean that we are talking about gaining access as a normal user to sda1?

thanks for your help!

gary