Old 11-28-2009, 01:59 PM
tommie ramirez andujar

Default Question about virtualbox

Hi, Jerry

In my short experience I was able to read ext3 from a Windows system
using software that can do that like Total Commader Ultra Prime. Not
sure if that can help.

Tommie

Old 11-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Nils Kassube

jerry wrote:
> My question is: Can I use my guest OS (XP) to read and write the
> shared folder on the ext3 file system safely?

Yes, you can safely read/write the shared folder without any extra
tools. For XP the shared folder is a network share and has nothing to do
with ext3. The data are written by the host OS, not the guest OS.

Nils

Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM
tommie ramirez andujar

Yes he can, I thought he meant in the same pc, but if it is a network
folder then he can do it. Sorry, misread.
Tommie

Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 PM
jerry

tommie ramirez andujar wrote:
> Yes he can, I thought he meant in the same pc, but if it is a network
> folder then he can do it. Sorry, misread.
> Tommie
>
> On 11/28/09, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> jerry wrote:
>>
>>> My question is: Can I use my guest OS (XP) to read and write the
>>> shared folder on the ext3 file system safely?
>>>
>> Yes, you can safely read/write the shared folder without any extra
>> tools. For XP the shared folder is a network share and has nothing to do
>> with ext3. The data are written by the host OS, not the guest OS.
>>

>> Nils
>>
>> --

Thanks Nils and Tommie for the quick help.
Jerry

Old 11-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Chris Jones

On 28 Nov 2009, at 3:07pm, tommie ramirez andujar wrote:

> Yes he can, I thought he meant in the same pc, but if it is a network
> folder then he can do it. Sorry, misread

Its the same even if the shared folder is on the host machine. The point is when sharing a folder on the host machine with a virtual machine, the virtual machine does *not* see that folder natively, as ext3, but as a special shared filesystem. In the case of a windows VM it will not be seen as ext3, even if that is what it is on the host.

Chris