Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 AM
user1

Default how to create a .torrent file

If I have a file called yyyyyy.iso sitting in a folder on a webhotel,
let's call the url address:

http://www.xxxxxxxx.org/tarballs/yyyyyy.iso

How do I create a .bittorrent file for yyyyyy.iso?

Please explain in details, as the documentation I have read so far has
been a bit to complicated for me to understand (I am 70+ yrs old)

Do I need to give a port number somewhere, which I have read about.

Whatever I have tried has given errors and not worked.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Dotan Cohen

2009/11/28 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:
> If I have a file called yyyyyy.iso sitting in a folder on a webhotel,
> let's call the url address:
>
> http://www.xxxxxxxx.org/tarballs/yyyyyy.iso
>
> How do I create a .bittorrent file for yyyyyy.iso?
>
> Please explain in details, as the documentation I have read so far has
> been a bit to complicated for me to understand (I am 70+ yrs old)
>
> Do I need to give a port number somewhere, which I have read about.
>
> Whatever I have tried has given errors and not worked.

Most bittorrent clients have built in facilities for creating .torrent
files from local files. There are command-line bittorent clients that
can do that on your server, a ten-second Google search led me to
several.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM
drew einhorn

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/11/28 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:

> If I have a file called yyyyyy.iso sitting in a folder on a webhotel,

> let's call the url address:

> http://www.xxxxxxxx.org/tarballs/yyyyyy.iso

> How do I create a .bittorrent file for yyyyyy.iso?

> Please explain in details, as the documentation I have read so far has

> been a bit to complicated for me to understand (I am 70+ yrs old)

> Do I need to give a port number somewhere, which I have read about.

> Whatever I have tried has given errors and not worked.

Most bittorrent clients have built in facilities for creating .torrent

files from local files. There are command-line bittorent clients that

can do that on your server, a ten-second Google search led me to

several.

You mean like this

* ** http://lmgtfy.com/?q=create+.torrent
*

--

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

Drew Einhorn

Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 AM
user1

>> Most bittorrent clients have built in facilities for creating .torrent
>> files from local files. There are command-line bittorent clients that
>> can do that on your server, a ten-second Google search led me to
>> several.
>>

> You mean like this
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=create+.torrent

Thanks :-) my problem was, that I got so much information, that I could
not find my way, the important points is disguised for newbies, and
mostly explained, presuming that you are an expert already.

What I found is:

To make a .torrent for a big file.

Open Transmission - Torrent - New

In the Source window you insert your "bigfile" address

In the Trackers window you insert one or more of e.g. the following:

http://open.tracker.thepiratebay.org/announce
http://www.torrent-downloads.to:2710/announce
http://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce
udp://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce
http://www.sumotracker.com/announce

Then you click "New", and the .torrent is made, sitting next to the big
file.

Then both the .torrent and the big file should be placed, so the Internet
constantly can "see" them, typical on a webserver/webhotel

Then you must make the .torrent available to others.

You can make a .torrent file for both a file or a directory (do NOT use
compressed files).

Whenever you change the big file, you must make a new .torrent file

I would hear your comments, as my .torrent seems to work now, but it
seems "dead", and have no connections to other connected peers?

My .torrent can be fetched from www.minihowto.org (kompozer_video)

I write like this, so others might learn

Old 11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
user1

> What I found is:
>
> To make a .torrent for a big file.

It does not work.

What I do not understand is, that if I make the torrent file inclusive
its tracker addresses, on the harddisk of my pc where i have a copy of
"bigfile" sitting.

How do I make it work, when i upload the "bigfile" and its .torrent onto
my webhotel, the address of the webhotel is not the same as my dhcp
address of my computer?

If anybody tries to downoload my .torrent and then tries to download the
"bigfile" via the .torrent, it thinks the bigfile is sitting on my
harddisk, but maybe my computer is switched of (it will not see the
address of the webhotel in the .torrent??

I am reading myself hot on google, but cannot find my answer :-)

Any suggestions :-)

Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Dotan Cohen

2009/11/30 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:

>> What I found is:
>>
>> To make a .torrent for a big file.
>>

> It does not work.
>
> What I do not understand is, that if I make the torrent file inclusive
> its tracker addresses, on the harddisk of my pc where i have a copy of
> "bigfile" sitting.
>
> How do I make it work, when i upload the "bigfile" and its .torrent onto
> my webhotel, the address of the webhotel is not the same as my dhcp
> address of my computer?
>
> If anybody tries to downoload my .torrent and then tries to download the
> "bigfile" via the .torrent, it thinks the bigfile is sitting on my
> harddisk, but maybe my computer is switched of (it will not see the
> address of the webhotel in the .torrent??
>
> I am reading myself *hot on google, but cannot find my answer :-)
>
> Any suggestions :-)

You need to create the .torrent file on the webserver where the file is hosted.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
user1

> You need to create the .torrent file on the webserver where the file is
> hosted.

Thanks.

I tried to open the deluge bittorrent client, and then I did:

Deluge - File - Create Torrent

Then in the Files box I inserted my video (bigfile) on my harddisk.

Then in the Trackers box I inserted following 4 trackers:

http://trackedbyet.info:420/announce

http://denis.stalker.h3q.com/announce

http://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce

http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce

In the Webseeds box I inserted the address of my video, which is exact
the same file as the video sitting on my harddisk (it is actually a
folder containing an html file and the very video file):

http://www.minihowto.org/kompozer_video

Then I clicked the "Save" icon, and the .torrent file was created.

Then I uploaded this .torrent file, so it is sitting next to the video
file on my webhotel address.

When I now try to click on the .torrent file, it opens Transmission
bittorrent client, and begins to download the file, and it shows 4
connected peers, but is idle, probably because nobody else is trying to
download the same .torrent. :-)

Old 11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Mon, November 30, 2009 17:57, user1 wrote:
>> You need to create the .torrent file on the webserver where the file is
>> hosted.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> I tried to open the deluge bittorrent client, and then I did:
>
> Deluge - File - Create Torrent
>
> Then in the Files box I inserted my video (bigfile) on my harddisk.
>
> Then in the Trackers box I inserted following 4 trackers:
>
> http://trackedbyet.info:420/announce
>
> http://denis.stalker.h3q.com/announce
>
> http://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce
>
> http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce
>
> In the Webseeds box I inserted the address of my video, which is exact
> the same file as the video sitting on my harddisk (it is actually a
> folder containing an html file and the very video file):
>
> http://www.minihowto.org/kompozer_video
>
> Then I clicked the "Save" icon, and the .torrent file was created.
>
> Then I uploaded this .torrent file, so it is sitting next to the video
> file on my webhotel address.
>
> When I now try to click on the .torrent file, it opens Transmission
> bittorrent client, and begins to download the file, and it shows 4
> connected peers, but is idle, probably because nobody else is trying to
> download the same .torrent. :-)

Please give a link to your torrent file. I'll try to download it, then you
will have confirmation.

--
Amedee

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Mon, November 30, 2009 17:57, user1 wrote:
>> You need to create the .torrent file on the webserver where the file is
>> hosted.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> I tried to open the deluge bittorrent client, and then I did:
>
> Deluge - File - Create Torrent
>
> Then in the Files box I inserted my video (bigfile) on my harddisk.
>
> Then in the Trackers box I inserted following 4 trackers:
>
> http://trackedbyet.info:420/announce
>
> http://denis.stalker.h3q.com/announce
>
> http://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce
>
> http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce
>
> In the Webseeds box I inserted the address of my video, which is exact
> the same file as the video sitting on my harddisk (it is actually a
> folder containing an html file and the very video file):
>
> http://www.minihowto.org/kompozer_video
>
> Then I clicked the "Save" icon, and the .torrent file was created.
>
> Then I uploaded this .torrent file, so it is sitting next to the video
> file on my webhotel address.
>
> When I now try to click on the .torrent file, it opens Transmission
> bittorrent client, and begins to download the file, and it shows 4
> connected peers, but is idle, probably because nobody else is trying to
> download the same .torrent. :-)

Never mind, I think that I found it:
http://minihowto.org/kompozer_video.torrent
correct?