Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Seth Hoogeboom

Default Do Ubuntu and Mac OS X place nice with each other?

Could I still use the Mac's EFI bootloader to boot into Mac OS X or would I HAVE to use GRUB to switch between the two?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Steve

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:10:55 -0000, Seth Hoogeboom
<dragonrider66@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could I still use the Mac's EFI bootloader to boot into Mac OS X or
> would I HAVE to use GRUB to switch between the two?

There’s a rather good tutorial here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation
not sure if it answer all your questions though.
--
Steve

Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Seth

I think that answered my question. All I really wanted to know is if I could still boot into Ubuntu using the "hold down option key at boot" method. I think I just made things more complicated then was needed. xD

Joan Crawford *- "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar. Everything I earn, I spend."

Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Steve

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:37:29 -0000, Seth <dragonrider66@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that answered my question. All I really wanted to know is if I
> could
> still boot into Ubuntu using the "hold down option key at boot" method. I
> think I just made things more complicated then was needed. xD

`Although I’ve used Macs quite a bit I’ve not booted one up for a few
years. They’re already up and running when I get to them.

--
Steve

Old 11-28-2009, 04:58 AM
Mark Traceur

Gr, Gmail didn't quote the right message. Anyway,

AFAIK, the normal EFI bootloader won't recognize the Ubuntu partition,
nor will the GRUB overwrite it. Last time I ran Linux on a Mac,
anyway, Apple had their bootloader set pretty far in.

I used a rEFIt disk to boot, it was a messy solution, but it worked.

That being said, I used Boot Camp to repartition, so maybe if you use
the Ubuntu partitioner it will work better? I dunno. All I know is
Boot Camp was awesome at repartitioning, so don't knock it without
giving it a shot.

--
MarkTraceur

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Seth

I used the Boot Camp Assisstant to make the partition, then I used
Gparted to delete the partition and set Ubuntu to use the largest free
space, according to a Wiki on the Ubuntu site. For all I know, that
could have been the worst way to do it. :P

On Saturday, November 28, 2009, Mark Traceur <marktraceur@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gr, Gmail didn't quote the right message. Anyway,
>
> AFAIK, the normal EFI bootloader won't recognize the Ubuntu partition,
> nor will the GRUB overwrite it. Last time I ran Linux on a Mac,
> anyway, Apple had their bootloader set pretty far in.
>
> I used a rEFIt disk to boot, it was a messy solution, but it worked.
>
> That being said, I used Boot Camp to repartition, so maybe if you use
> the Ubuntu partitioner it will work better? I dunno. All I know is
> Boot Camp was awesome at repartitioning, so don't knock it without
> giving it a shot.
>
> --
> MarkTraceur
>
> Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
> get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Apple Computer, It just works

The information contained in this message is privileged and
confidential
information intended for the sole use of the addressee. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the person
listed above immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message and
attachments