-   -   how to install wink in karmic koala 32 bit version (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/287053-how-install-wink-karmic-koala-32-bit-version.html)

user1 11-27-2009 04:38 PM

how to install wink in karmic koala 32 bit version

My wink installs and works fine in 9.04.
However I cannot get it installed in 9.10, it complains of some
dependency problems, it wants libstdc++5 >= 1:3.3.4-1, but I cannot get
this installed (it's not there).

I get a fairly amount of problems when installing newer ubuntus.

I had hoped to use 8.04 until a new LTS version (Long Time Support)
arrived, but that does not work very well for me, as the developement of
linux goes so fast (sound problems e.g.)

I think real newbies will get problems coping with ubuntu.

Other important problems for me never get an answer on this list, or
anywhere else - I still love ubuntu - but point to a (I think) major
ubuntu problem :-)

"Cybe R. Wizard" 11-27-2009 04:47 PM

how to install wink in karmic koala 32 bit version

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:38:22 +0000 (UTC)
user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:

> My wink installs and works fine in 9.04.
> However I cannot get it installed in 9.10, it complains of some
> dependency problems, it wants libstdc++5 >= 1:3.3.4-1, but I cannot
> get this installed (it's not there).
>

> I get a fairly amount of problems when installing newer ubuntus.
>
> I had hoped to use 8.04 until a new LTS version (Long Time Support)
> arrived, but that does not work very well for me, as the developement
> of linux goes so fast (sound problems e.g.)
>
> I think real newbies will get problems coping with ubuntu.
>
> Other important problems for me never get an answer on this list, or
> anywhere else - I still love ubuntu - but point to a (I think) major
> ubuntu problem :-)

Wink is /not/ an officially-supported application under Ubuntu. I
can't see why, considering that, you want to blame Ubuntu for wink not
working. Dig into Debian devs to install or update the dependencies it
needs.

Maybe you should stay with officially supported apps to have the Joyous
Ubuntu Experience. (use the Ubuntu Software Center)

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

NoOp 11-27-2009 10:44 PM

On 11/27/2009 09:38 AM, user1 wrote:
> My wink installs and works fine in 9.04.
> However I cannot get it installed in 9.10, it complains of some
> dependency problems, it wants libstdc++5 >= 1:3.3.4-1, but I cannot get
> this installed (it's not there).
>

> I get a fairly amount of problems when installing newer ubuntus.

Wink: It seems that it's not been maintained since Jaunty (9.04). These
might be of interest:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/wink
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wink
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/wink/+builds
[seems like there was some interest]
<http://groups.google.com/group/wink-discuss/browse_thread/thread/b39256e7bf1f5a92>

Regarding libstdc++5; I require this for some older versions of
SeaMonkey (mozilla) that I test in karmic & simply installed from:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libstdc++5
[Package: libstdc++5 (1:3.3.6-17ubuntu1) [universe] ]
And yes; I run both libstdc++5 and libstdc++6 on my systems.

user1 11-28-2009 11:42 AM

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 15:44:15 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/27/2009 09:38 AM, user1 wrote:
>> My wink installs and works fine in 9.04. However I cannot get it
>> installed in 9.10, it complains of some dependency problems, it wants
>> libstdc++5 >= 1:3.3.4-1, but I cannot get this installed (it's not
>> there).

I followed the directions (which is for 64-bit) on :

Then I took /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2 and renamed it to libexpat.so.0

Then I placed this libexpat.so.0 in ~/wink/usr/lib32 and /usr/lib

And now wink works just fine for me. - Thanks