Old 11-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Steve

Default From debootstrap to a standard ubuntu system

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:46:49 -0000, Ryan Chan <ryanchan404@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed a minimal version of ubuntu thru debootstrap (as Xen
> guest).
>
> So a lot of files (include configurations), program are missing when
> compared to a standard ubuntu installation.
>

> Beside to install them one by one, how to make my "minimal version" to
> have the same software as ubuntu standard installation?
>

> Thanks.

install ubuntu-desktop

--
Steve

Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Avi Greenbury

Ryan Chan wrote:
> I have installed a minimal version of ubuntu thru debootstrap (as Xen
> guest).
>
> So a lot of files (include configurations), program are missing when
> compared to a standard ubuntu installation.
>
> Beside to install them one by one, how to make my "minimal version" to
> have the same software as ubuntu standard installation?

# apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Will get you a normal ubuntu desktop. You can also install
xubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-desktop (they can coexist).

If you're wanting a server, I'd use tasksel:

#tasksel

Basically, it offers a list of tasks, you check the ones you want and
it downloads and installs the packages you need.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Ryan Chan

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks.
>>
> install ubuntu-desktop

If I want a standard ubuntu server, what sohuld I type?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2009, 02:13 AM
NoOp

On 11/27/2009 06:57 PM, Ryan Chan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> install ubuntu-desktop
>>

> If I want a standard ubuntu server, what sohuld I type?
>
> Thanks

You obviously missed Avi's msg relating to tasksel.

In the meantime, I'd recommend you start here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/index.html
and here: