Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Patton Echols

Default Mac look alike?

My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
interested in a Mac. Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
the scroll type launcher. But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
really what she is looking at. Are there settings that could be used
for a similar look and functionality on the desktop? Are there things
that a Mac does that can be cloned? If there are suggestions, I will
try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she likes it.

Thanks

--PE

Old 11-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Avi Greenbury

Patton Echols wrote:

> My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
> interested in a Mac. Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
> the scroll type launcher. But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
> really what she is looking at. Are there settings that could be used
> for a similar look and functionality on the desktop? Are there
> things that a Mac does that can be cloned? If there are suggestions,
> I will try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she
> likes it.

There are OSX themes for both KDE and Gnome on kde-look.org and
gnome-look.org (or certainly used to be). These give the right look and
feel, but don't to much for the functionality. From what I recall, the
KDE one was more convincing.

For functionality, it depends which bits she particularly wants. Maybe
try the themes and ask what's still missing?

Of course, the big advantage, IMO, with a macbook is that they're built
like brick toilets. If I could afford one I'd get one for the hardware
alone.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Bas Roufs

2009/11/27 Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net>:
> My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
> interested in a Mac. *Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
> the scroll type launcher. *But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
> really what she is looking at. *Are there settings that could be used
> for a similar look and functionality on the desktop? *Are there things
> that a Mac does that can be cloned? *If there are suggestions, I will
> try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she likes it.

You could try installing Kubuntu at the laptop - this is Ubuntu with a
KDE window manager. "Clone" is not the right word. But the graphical
"look and feel" of Kubuntu is quite similar to that of a Mac. More
info:
http://www.kubuntu.org/
Respectfully yours,
Bas.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Jack Wallen

Is my reply to an email sent by Patton Echols, that said:

> My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
> interested in a Mac. Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
> the scroll type launcher. But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
> really what she is looking at. Are there settings that could be used
> for a similar look and functionality on the desktop? Are there
> things that a Mac does that can be cloned? If there are suggestions,
> I will try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she
> likes it.

As far as hardware, I can't help you on this. But...for software, I
have set up something similar. Here's the list of software I would
suggest:

GNOME - remove bottom panel
Avant Window Navigator - used to replace bottom panel and act like a
Doc
Songbirg - used in place of iTunes
OpenOffice - instead of iWork
Firefox (with Mac-like theme) - instead of Safari

If you want an email client like Mac's Mail you can install KMail, but
I'd go with something like Claws Mail or Thunderbird instead.

That's my .02. Hope that helps.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 09:42:01AM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Of course, the big advantage, IMO, with a macbook is that they're built
> like brick toilets. If I could afford one I'd get one for the hardware
> alone.

The seemless integration of things like iTunes and iPhones is another selling
point. Maybe not everybody but certainly for many.

--
Hal

Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Dick Dowdell

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 09:42:01AM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Of course, the big advantage, IMO, with a macbook is that they're built

> like brick toilets. If I could afford one I'd get one for the hardware

> alone.

The seemless integration of things like iTunes and iPhones is another selling

point. Maybe not everybody but certainly for many.

--

Hal

Patton,
Much as I like Ubuntu, at this point in it's evolution it cannot really compete with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. *I'd recommend that you take a look at a refurbished Mac Mini. *I use one to develop and test both Macintosh and Windows software.

Regards,
Dick Dowdell

Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Arthur Johnson

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Dick Dowdell <dick.dowdell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 09:42:01AM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> >
>> > Of course, the big advantage, IMO, with a macbook is that they're built
>> > like brick toilets. If I could afford one I'd get one for the hardware
>> > alone.
>>
>> The seemless integration of things like iTunes and iPhones is another
>> selling
>> point. Maybe not everybody but certainly for many.
>>
>> --
>> Hal
>>
>> --
>
> Patton,
> Much as I like Ubuntu, at this point in it's evolution it cannot really
> compete with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. *I'd recommend that you take a look at a
> refurbished Mac Mini. *I use one to develop and test both Macintosh and
> Windows software.

$600USD is too rich for my blood. Buy a Dell Mini and install OS/X on
it. Dell Mini's will take the retail OS/X disk.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Patton Echols

On 11/27/2009 01:42 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>

>> My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
>> interested in a Mac. Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
>> the scroll type launcher. But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
>> really what she is looking at. Are there settings that could be used
>> for a similar look and functionality on the desktop? Are there
>> things that a Mac does that can be cloned? If there are suggestions,
>> I will try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she
>> likes it.
>>

> There are OSX themes for both KDE and Gnome on kde-look.org and
> gnome-look.org (or certainly used to be). These give the right look and
> feel, but don't to much for the functionality. From what I recall, the
> KDE one was more convincing.
>
> For functionality, it depends which bits she particularly wants. Maybe
> try the themes and ask what's still missing?

I think that's what I'll do. At this point I don't know whether it's
the eye candy or something else she's enamored with. Since it sounds
easy to find out, probably a good strategy.
> Of course, the big advantage, IMO, with a macbook is that they're built
> like brick toilets. If I could afford one I'd get one for the hardware
> alone.

Ok, That's good top know. The only "experience" I have with Macs is a
former colleague of mine used one and was forever not able to get things
to work. (But I suspected it was just him) and my nephew who managed to
break the display on his macbook and for some reason didn't or couldn't
get it repaired.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Chris Jones

Hi,

Patton Echols wrote:
> My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
> interested in a Mac. Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
> the scroll type launcher. But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
> really what she is looking at. Are there settings that could be used
> for a similar look and functionality on the desktop? Are there things
> that a Mac does that can be cloned? If there are suggestions, I will
> try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she likes it.

I'm afraid, but in my experience none of the OSX gnome or KDE themes (at
least the ones I've seen) do 'real' OSX justice. Yes, from a distance
they can be made to look similar, and sort of work the same. But when
you really get into it it is just cosmetic.

If you really want to find out what OSX is like, and what it is you
daughter is after, you need to look at a real OSX system. If you have an
Apple store near you, just wander in and play with one of their machines
for a bit ...

Chris

Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 PM
NoOp

On 11/27/2009 01:33 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
> My daughter is interested in replacing her laptop and has said she is
> interested in a Mac. Seems to be mostly because of the eye candy and
> the scroll type launcher. But I've never used a Mac so I've no idea
> really what she is looking at. Are there settings that could be used
> for a similar look and functionality on the desktop? Are there things
> that a Mac does that can be cloned? If there are suggestions, I will
> try it on her account on my desktop machine and see how she likes it.
>
> Thanks
>
> --PE

On of my "give-a-system" users had only used a mac notebook. When it
broke I took an old desktop & installed a mac theme on it for her. She
was happy as can be. See:

<http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-hardy-to-mac-osx-leopard/2008/07/23>
<http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-intrepid-into-mac-osx-leopard/2009/01/08>
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin/