Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Allen Meyers

Default media storage challenge

Admittedly my ultimate shortcoming is file system and I need to
configure a data partition I have labelled media/storage.
/sbin/mkfs.ext3 -m 1 /dev/sda8 (this went well)
Then I tried (hit and miss)
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /data2
mount: mount point /data2 does not exist
So can someone take me by the hand and give me the sequential terminal
codes so I hve complete control of this partition as single user
Happy Thanksgiving and thabk you for your attention

allen

Allen Meyers
texas.chef94@gmail.com

Old 11-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Avi Greenbury

Allen Meyers wrote:

> Admittedly my ultimate shortcoming is file system and I need to
> configure a data partition I have labelled media/storage.
> /sbin/mkfs.ext3 -m 1 /dev/sda8 (this went well)
> Then I tried (hit and miss)
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /data2
> mount: mount point /data2 does not exist
> So can someone take me by the hand and give me the sequential terminal
> codes so I hve complete control of this partition as single user
> Happy Thanksgiving and thabk you for your attention

Does /data2 exist? You can only mount filesystems to mountpoints that
already exist. Traditionally, miscellaneous filesystems are mounted at
mountpoints under /mnt or /media unless they're wanted anywhere else in
particular.
Assuming such, you want:

sudo mkdir /mnt/data2
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /media/data2

Which will give you access to the filesystem in the
directory /media/data2. If you want it anywhere else,
substitute /media/data2 for where you want it, but make sure the
directory already exists.
If it's only you using it, I'd be tempted to mount it as a directory
under your home directory:

sudo mkdir ~username/data2
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 ~username/data2

But replace 'username' with your actual user name on the PC. You will
likely also need/want to make it owned by you:

sudo chown -R username ~username/data2

You should, however, enter it into /etc/fstab if you want the mount to
be persistent across reboots. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Ian Coetzee

Just a small correction to Avi's post (see below)

> * * * *sudo mkdir /mnt/data2
> * * * *sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /media/data2

That should read

sudo mkdir /media/data2
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /media/data2

or

sudo mkdir /mnt/data2
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /mnt/data2

Regards