Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Andy

Default Netzwork does only work in recovery mode

Hay volks,

i installed the 7.10 desktop image.

i have got the problem that the network connection only work when
booting in recovery mode.

When i go to user mode (normal booting) i dont get information from my
dhcp server and if i configure the eth0 manually by hand the values are
accept by ifconfig and shown with ifconfig but i cant ping my router or
some other hostnames/ipadresses. I dont come out from this Ubuntu pc.

The other pcs in the network are working without any problem.

Andy ideas ?

Andy

Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Adam McGreggor

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:31:18PM +0100, Andy wrote:
> Hay volks,
>
> i installed the 7.10 desktop image.
>
> i have got the problem that the network connection only work when
> booting in recovery mode.
>
> When i go to user mode (normal booting) i dont get information from my
> dhcp server and if i configure the eth0 manually by hand the values are
> accept by ifconfig and shown with ifconfig but i cant ping my router or
> some other hostnames/ipadresses. I dont come out from this Ubuntu pc.

Over-restrictive firewall?

how a browse of your logs to see what's going on. My first guess is a
firewall, or something silly like dns-masq, or one of those applications
that's meant to make life easier...

if you use an interfaces(5) file, skimmy over that, although if it works
in single-mode, i expect it's something loaded in the start-up
procedures, so have a nose through init/rc,x

A quick cheat may be to force an ifdown && ifup (once the machine's up),
and see if that works. There are a few DHCP testing things out there,
hunt the packages tree; or have a go with nmap(1).

Might be worth checking your route'ing table (route(8)), too.