FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Karl Auer
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

Somehow, I don't know how, the slide pane in Impress has become detached
and now "floats" as an independent window instead of being docked at the
left-hand side of the Impress window.

a) How did I do that?

b) How do I get it back to where it was?

The online help is useless, or maybe I'm not using the right search
terms.

This is not a major problem, just an irritation.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM
John Abbott
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 19:43 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:


Somehow, I don't know how, the slide pane in Impress has become detached
and now "floats" as an independent window instead of being docked at the
left-hand side of the Impress window.

a) How did I do that?

b) How do I get it back to where it was?

The online help is useless, or maybe I'm not using the right search
terms.

This is not a major problem, just an irritation.

Regards, K.



To the top right of the pane is a "view" menu.** When you pull it down you will notice that the last option is Dock or Undock.* Simply click on that to secure or float the pane.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 09:28 -0600, John Abbott wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 19:43 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> > Somehow, I don't know how, the slide pane in Impress has become detached
> > and now "floats" as an independent window
> >
> To the top right of the pane is a "view" menu. When you pull it down
> you will notice that the last option is Dock or Undock. Simply click
> on that to secure or float the pane.

Um - nope. No "View" menu anywhere to be seen. Can you describe
precisely where you would expect to find it?

There *is* one for the "Tasks" pane, which does provide an "Undock"
checkbox, but that menu is not present anywhere on my "Slide Pane".

HOWEVER: I found that if I drag the undocked slide pane over the task
pane and drop it, it docks beside or above the task pane. When docked,
it has no "View" menu either. No amount of effort seems to get it back
where it belongs, on the left side of the main window.

Any other ideas?

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 02:50 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> HOWEVER: I found that if I drag the undocked slide pane over the task
> pane and drop it, it docks beside or above the task pane. When docked,
> it has no "View" menu either. No amount of effort seems to get it back
> where it belongs, on the left side of the main window.

Further to this: The key word to look for is "dock" in the help :-) and
that did have some more info, but I still couldn't dock that pesky pane.

However, I changed the view to "outline" and found that if I then
hovered the pane over the left hand edge of the main window, it
displayed a grey outline; I dropped the pane and it docked there. It
stayed docked on the left even when I changed the view back to "normal".

This is a very odd UI, but I have my slide pane back where I want it.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 03:08 PM
John Abbott
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 02:50 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:


On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 09:28 -0600, John Abbott wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 19:43 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> > Somehow, I don't know how, the slide pane in Impress has become detached
> > and now "floats" as an independent window
> >
> To the top right of the pane is a "view" menu. When you pull it down
> you will notice that the last option is Dock or Undock. Simply click
> on that to secure or float the pane.

Um - nope. No "View" menu anywhere to be seen. Can you describe
precisely where you would expect to find it?

There *is* one for the "Tasks" pane, which does provide an "Undock"
checkbox, but that menu is not present anywhere on my "Slide Pane".

HOWEVER: I found that if I drag the undocked slide pane over the task
pane and drop it, it docks beside or above the task pane. When docked,
it has no "View" menu either. No amount of effort seems to get it back
where it belongs, on the left side of the main window.

Any other ideas?

Regards, K.







--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

John Abbot wrote:
> > > To the top right of the pane is a "view" menu. When you pull it down
> > > you will notice that the last option is Dock or Undock. Simply click
> > > on that to secure or float the pane.

Karl wrote:
> > Um - nope. No "View" menu anywhere to be seen. Can you describe
> > precisely where you would expect to find it?
> >
> > There *is* one for the "Tasks" pane, which does provide an "Undock"
> > checkbox, but that menu is not present anywhere on my "Slide Pane".

Then John sent a piccy of a View button on the "Tasks" pane :-)

I did see the "View" menu on the "Tasks" pane (see my message quoted
above), and it does indeed dock and undock the "Tasks" pane. But the
"Tasks" pane is not the problem - the "Slides Pane" is the problem, and
the "Slides Pane does *not* have a "View" menu. The dock/undock facility
for the "Tasks" pane does not affect the "Slides Pane" (I checked).

I think the "Slides Pane" *should* have a "View" menu, but it doesn't.
However, since I have found a workaround and now have my "Slides Pane"
back where it belongs, I'm happy.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
John Abbott
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 09:23 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:





Then John sent a piccy of a View button on the "Tasks" pane :-)

I did see the "View" menu on the "Tasks" pane (see my message quoted
above), and it does indeed dock and undock the "Tasks" pane. But the
"Tasks" pane is not the problem - the "Slides Pane" is the problem, and
the "Slides Pane does *not* have a "View" menu. The dock/undock facility
for the "Tasks" pane does not affect the "Slides Pane" (I checked).

I think the "Slides Pane" *should* have a "View" menu, but it doesn't.
However, since I have found a workaround and now have my "Slides Pane"
back where it belongs, I'm happy.

Regards, K.



OK - I've given up the first half of the Dallas vs Oakland football game but here is the answer.



I know its like black magic but it works every time.** On the slide pane put the pointer just below the word "slide" , Hold down the Control key and double click.* Really not graceful but it works.** Gonna finish my turkey sandwich and watch the second half.



Happy Thanksgiving All - and if you aren't in the states be thankful I'm not your neighbor ))


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 17:11 -0600, John Abbott wrote:
> > I think the "Slides Pane" *should* have a "View" menu, but it doesn't.
> > However, since I have found a workaround and now have my "Slides Pane"
> > back where it belongs, I'm happy.
>
> I know its like black magic but it works every time. On the slide
> pane put the pointer just below the word "slide" , Hold down the
> Control key and double click. Really not graceful but it works.

That's actually documented - if you look in the help for "docking" it
will tell you about this technique. It docks the pane wherever it was
last docked.

In my experimentation I have also found that there are "sweet spots" on
the sides of the main window; if you drag the slides pane to just the
right spot (and hold your mouth just so) a dotted outline will appear.
If you let go of the mouse button right then, the slides pane drops into
place, docked.

Thanks for your efforts!

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 PM
NoOp
 
Default Docking the slide pane in Open Office Impress?!?

On 11/26/2009 03:41 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 17:11 -0600, John Abbott wrote:
>> > I think the "Slides Pane" *should* have a "View" menu, but it doesn't.
>> > However, since I have found a workaround and now have my "Slides Pane"
>> > back where it belongs, I'm happy.
>>
>> I know its like black magic but it works every time. On the slide
>> pane put the pointer just below the word "slide" , Hold down the
>> Control key and double click. Really not graceful but it works.
>
> That's actually documented - if you look in the help for "docking" it
> will tell you about this technique. It docks the pane wherever it was
> last docked.
>
> In my experimentation I have also found that there are "sweet spots" on
> the sides of the main window; if you drag the slides pane to just the
> right spot (and hold your mouth just so) a dotted outline will appear.
> If you let go of the mouse button right then, the slides pane drops into
> place, docked.

So perhaps we can mark this [RESOLVED] so others don't wander by and
start offering more suggestions, or have to read the entire thread only
find out that you've resolved the issue? :-)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:23 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org