Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Aaron Lewis

Default Problems Purging Old Kernel Packages.. Needs Help!

Hi,
I'm new to ubuntu,before that i use slackware.

root# apt-get install -y linux-source
Then I tried to compile a new kernel with make-kpkg.
Successfully installed new kernel with dpkg.

root# dpkg -i ../*deb

Now I removed it for updates:
root# apt-get remove linux-image-...

It's really bad .. i forgot to use --purge to get rid of all things.

When i install bootchart, i found the problem.
root# apt-get install bootchart
--snip--
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4core2
Cannot find /lib/modules/2.6.31.4core2
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4core2
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-core2
Cannot find /lib/modules/2.6.31.4-core2
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-core2
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-386
--snip--

Anyway to purge it? ( Sorry i deleted my own deb packages.)

A dirty hack:
root# mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.31.4core2

--
Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis

Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Leonard

Aaron Lewis wrote:

[...]

Just run the same command again from the cli but substitute purge for
the original remove command
and it should purge the rest incluging the module packages. I'm not
totally sure what all you did or
the exact issues you or having(can you boot). Surely you left at least
one other kernel besides the one
you compiled. But if you can boot up to a tty termican or in recovery
mode you can reinstall anything

you removed. Things to try from cli in case you have broken packages are:
Note: you are advised to use sudo instead of a root cli.
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
sudo aptitude -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a
If you get any error output then repeat the cli commands until there are
no more errors reported the repeat again one or more times.

HTH
Just in case the purge command doesn't work correctly and gives errors
try reinstalling the program(kernel) and then purge again.

--
Leonard
enc5570@sbcglobal.net