Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Wade Smart

Default backup file not a zip file

My friend just called and IM'ed me this message:

[/media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file may be a plain
executable, not an archive
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of
/media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file or
/media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file.zip, and cannot find
/media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file.ZIP, period.

He "thought" he zipped his photos and videos to a file and now he cant
view them on windows or ubuntu.

Is he fubar'ed?

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Thu, November 26, 2009 00:02, Wade Smart wrote:
> My friend just called and IM'ed me this message:
>
> [/media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file]
> End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
> a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
> latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
> the last disk(s) of this archive.
> note: /media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file may be a plain
> executable, not an archive
> zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of
> /media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file or
> /media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file.zip, and cannot find
> /media/Photos_Vide/compressed keep file.ZIP, period.
>

> He "thought" he zipped his photos and videos to a file and now he cant
> view them on windows or ubuntu.
>
> Is he fubar'ed?

Hard to tell. Is the file super secret or can you put it up somewhere?

Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Andrew Farris

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 17:02 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
[snip]
> He "thought" he zipped his photos and videos to a file and now he cant
> view them on windows or ubuntu.

Have you tried the trusty 'file' command from the terminal? It should
tell you if the file is actually a zip file or not, and you can proceed
from there.

Here's output from a zip file I just made for comparison:

andrew@BEC-LIN:~$ file '/home/andrew/Desktop/test.zip'
/home/andrew/Desktop/test.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0
to extract

hope that helps!

--
Andrew