-   -   Command line printing settings/defaults on 9.10 not working correctly (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/286273-command-line-printing-settings-defaults-9-10-not-working-correctly.html)

Chris G 11-25-2009 07:29 PM

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 01:46:06PM -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I have three Ubuntu systems, currently two run 9.04 and a third is
> > running 9.10. *Command line printing (via CUPS) on the 9.04 systems
> > works as expected, I get output at 10cpi and 6lpi. *However on the
> > 9.10 system command line printing comes out in a somewhat strange
> > looking font at about 5cpi. *Explicitly setting the cpi on the command
> > line has no effect.
>
> Are both printers the same brand/driver? e.g. if a printer
> driver/filter was updated would that cause your issue?
>
> Or have you chose a slightly different driver on the newer machine?
> (transposed a model number say)

I obviously didn't make things clear.

On the 9.04 systems printing using only the local CUPS (version 1.3.9)
to the network printer works correctly.

On the 9.10 system printing to *both* printers has the same problem,
prints too big, ignores cpi settings, etc. (CUPS version 1.4.1)

The printers are an HP7310 (the networked one which client systems
print to directly) and an HP1320 connected to the 9.10 Ubuntu system
by USB so I can only print to that via the 9.10 system. In the past
when the HP1320 was connected to a 9.04 system the printing was OK.

So all the indications are that the problem lies with CUPS 1.4.1, it
simply doesn't set the default command line lpr/lp parameters
correctly and neither does it allow you to change them with -o.

--
Chris Green

Florian Diesch 11-25-2009 08:29 PM

Chris G <cl@isbd.net> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 01:46:06PM -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> > I have three Ubuntu systems, currently two run 9.04 and a third is
>> > running 9.10. *Command line printing (via CUPS) on the 9.04 systems
>> > works as expected, I get output at 10cpi and 6lpi. *However on the
>> > 9.10 system command line printing comes out in a somewhat strange
>> > looking font at about 5cpi. *Explicitly setting the cpi on the command
>> > line has no effect.
>>
>> Are both printers the same brand/driver? e.g. if a printer
>> driver/filter was updated would that cause your issue?
>>
>> Or have you chose a slightly different driver on the newer machine?
>> (transposed a model number say)
>>
> I obviously didn't make things clear.
>
> On the 9.04 systems printing using only the local CUPS (version 1.3.9)
> to the network printer works correctly.
>
> On the 9.10 system printing to *both* printers has the same problem,
> prints too big, ignores cpi settings, etc. (CUPS version 1.4.1)
>
> The printers are an HP7310 (the networked one which client systems
> print to directly) and an HP1320 connected to the 9.10 Ubuntu system
> by USB so I can only print to that via the 9.10 system. In the past
> when the HP1320 was connected to a 9.04 system the printing was OK.
>
> So all the indications are that the problem lies with CUPS 1.4.1, it
> simply doesn't set the default command line lpr/lp parameters
> correctly and neither does it allow you to change them with -o.

What's the ouput of
lpoptions
and
lpoptions -l
on both systems?

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>

Christian Schult 11-27-2009 02:24 PM

Command line printing settings/defaults on 9.10 not working correctly

Hello Chris,

Chris G wrote:

> I have three Ubuntu systems, currently two run 9.04 and a third is
> running 9.10. Command line printing (via CUPS) on the 9.04 systems
> works as expected, I get output at 10cpi and 6lpi. However on the
> 9.10 system command line printing comes out in a somewhat strange
> looking font at about 5cpi. Explicitly setting the cpi on the command
> line has no effect.
>
> E.g. if I do "ls -l | lpr" on my 9.04 systems I get a sensible looking
> output at 10cpi in typeface that looks like Courier to me.
>
> However on the 9.10 system if I do "ls -l | lpr" or even if I do
> "ls -l | lpr -o cpi=10" I get a strange looking font at about 5cpi.
>
> Presumably something that used to work correctly in CUPS 1.3.9 is
> broken in CUPS 1.4.1 but I can't find any reported bugs that seem
> particularly relevant.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and/or a
> workaround for it?
>
> N.B. I have two printers, one with it's own network connection, the
> other available via one of the computers and the problem is identical
> with both printers.

Got the same problem here. Since upgrading from Kubuntu 9.04 to Kubuntu
9.10 printing with cups via the lp or lpr interface gives big and wide
letters, lines are cut off at the paper margin.

My printer is a HP DeskJet 940c.

user@jazz ~ % lpoptions
auth-info-required=none copies=1 device-uri=hp:/usb/DeskJet_940C?serial=CN1BC6B0N7BH finishings=3 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=0 media=na_letter_8.5x11in number-up=1 PageSize=A4 printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info=black-normal printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-location=Wohnzimmer printer-make-and-model='HP Deskjet 940c hpijs, 3.9.8.36' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1259334606 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8556572 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost:631/printers/black-normal sides=one-sided
user@jazz ~ % lpoptions -l
PageSize/Media Size: Letter *A4 Photo Photo5x7 PhotoTearOff 3x5 5x8 A5 A6 A6TearOff B5JIS CDDVD80 CDDVD120 Env10 EnvC5 EnvC6 EnvDL EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive FLSA Hagaki Legal Oufuku w558h774 w612h935 Custom.WIDTHxHEIGHT
PrintoutMode/Printout Mode: Draft Draft.Gray Normal *Normal.Gray High High.Gray Photo
Duplex/Double-Sided Printing: DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble *None
Quality/Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: *FromPrintoutMode 300BestColorCMYK 300ColorCMYK 300DraftColorCMYK 300DraftGrayscaleK 300GrayscaleK 300PhotoCMYK 600BestColorCMYK 600GrayscaleK 600PhotoCMYK 1200PhotoCMYK

Christian