Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Default kiosk on ubuntu ??

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:39:51 +0530, தங்கமணி அருண் wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i wanted to boot my ubuntu as a kiosk. means running firefox on plain X
> server.
>
> Manually i am successive, But not able to automate.
>
> i tried "xinit" command as follows: $ xinit /usr/bin/firefox
>
> kindly help me to succeed in this.

I'm not sure, but I think that if for the user "kiosk" you want to run
only firefox you could make /usr/bin/firefox the shell for that user
instead of the usual /bin/bash. I did something like that long ago for a
user that could only run one programm in a terminal, but never tried it
for a programm that needed a graphical display.

you could perhaps also write your own "shell" for that user, which would
then only start X and firefox.

N.B. by shell I mean the programm mentioned at the end off the line for
that user in /etc/passwd

Aart

Aart