-   -   London Data Centres (your recommendations, please!) :) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/28608-london-data-centres-your-recommendations-please.html)

LinuxLearner 01-04-2008 12:06 PM

London Data Centres (your recommendations, please!) :)

Hi All,

I want to buy my first rack server, and place it, once I've configured
and built on it in the home-office, into a data centre in London.

Of course it will be running Ubuntu! :)

Could people please provide some suggestions of who it would be possible
to contract with to get (initially) one of the following:

1. 1u (the smallest rack size, if that is incorrect!);
2. 2u (double the smallest size)
3. The smallest size of lockable part of a full rack. {I understand
this is 4u, but on little research: help!!}.

I have very few funds, as I am in start-up, and need the most reliable,
lowest cost provider, giving me the space, power & bandwidth only.

It would be great if any suggested providers could also provide on-site
hardware support, if needed, on a pay-per-case basis (so I can go on
holidays, and business trips, sometimes, without worry of major downtime!).

Please, guys 'n' girls: who are the major players in this sector of the
market; who is trying to sell 1u, 2u and quarter racks, and doing so
most cheaply/reliably?!?!

FWIW, I access London via Waterloo, so if there is any much
geographic/transport issues of physically me getting to the site of the
server, please provide that detail, too, as I would like of course to
work out how long it would take me to get door to door, hardware in
hand, if things went down.

Finally, and part of the reason for posting here. To differentiate
between the different suggestions; do any of these companies support in
any way FOSS/Ubuntu? I would like to give what little cash I have to a
company that in some way contributes to Ubuntu, or failing that, FOSS
more generally.

TIA - great list; Ubuntu - I love it! :)

LinuxLearner (hereafter LL)

"nad" 01-04-2008 09:18 PM

debian 01-04-2008 11:30 PM

London Data Centres (your recommendations, please!) :)

<huge snip>
> I have very few funds, as I am in start-up, and need the most reliable,
> lowest cost provider, giving me the space, power & bandwidth only.
</huge snip>

one thing i think you should do is provide a limited free account (like
100 or 200 mb of storage), then have a non-free account which would
offer buku-storage. You should make it extremely affordable though, some
of the leading servers out there charge around 1 to 3 dollars just to
have an account.

one idea that ive been toying around with for the past few years is
creating a service which people could upload files to a server, then at
the request of the customer, ship them a cd/dvd of the contents of which
they uploaded. This service would be useful to those customers whos
computers may not have a cd burner or dvd burner and need a way to get
their files onto a cd or dvd.

also note that you should probably install a firewall on your server.
Something like Shorewall or Firestarter (the only two that i know of)
should do.

--cj

Adam McGreggor 01-05-2008 12:37 AM

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:06:10PM +0000, LinuxLearner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to buy my first rack server, and place it, once I've configured
> and built on it in the home-office, into a data centre in London.
>
> Of course it will be running Ubuntu! :)
>
> Could people please provide some suggestions of who it would be possible
> to contract with to get (initially) one of the following:
>
> 1. 1u (the smallest rack size, if that is incorrect!);
> 2. 2u (double the smallest size)
> 3. The smallest size of lockable part of a full rack. {I understand
> this is 4u, but on little research: help!!}.

Racks come in all sizes. You should look into power-supplies: to the
rack, and within, and backups.

> I have very few funds, as I am in start-up, and need the most reliable,
> lowest cost provider, giving me the space, power & bandwidth only.

Why not go for a Virtual Box, then? UML and Xen are the two main ways of
doing this: I'm a bit of a UML fan, but can see why others like Xen.

That ought to reduce your costs, assuming it's done by a competent ISP.

Whatever, make sure you've got console access: you *will* need it.

> It would be great if any suggested providers could also provide on-site
> hardware support, if needed, on a pay-per-case basis (so I can go on
> holidays, and business trips, sometimes, without worry of major downtime!).

Ridiculously over-priced, and not always the best. Get a trusted mate to do
these things/offer to do his.

> Please, guys 'n' girls: who are the major players in this sector of the
> market; who is trying to sell 1u, 2u and quarter racks, and doing so
> most cheaply/reliably?!?!
>
> FWIW, I access London via Waterloo, so if there is any much
> geographic/transport issues of physically me getting to the site of the
> server, please provide that detail, too, as I would like of course to
> work out how long it would take me to get door to door, hardware in
> hand, if things went down.

Depends entirely on who's on the desk, and how well your paperwork's
done, what kit you've got, how busy they are, verification procedures,
and so on.

> Finally, and part of the reason for posting here. To differentiate
> between the different suggestions; do any of these companies support in
> any way FOSS/Ubuntu? I would like to give what little cash I have to a
> company that in some way contributes to Ubuntu, or failing that, FOSS
> more generally.

I'd say stick with the smaller outfits, you'll prob get a better
service, in the long-term.

You'd prob want to use a server distro, and there is a ubuntu-server
list: if you're going to use ubuntu-server.

If you don't understand all the terms i've used, you prob ought to have
a re-think, and step-down a bit: at least until you're ready/understand, imo.

Adam McGreggor 01-05-2008 12:46 AM

London Data Centres (your recommendations, please!) :)

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:37:54AM +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:
[...]

> You'd prob want to use a server distro, and there is a ubuntu-server
> list: if you're going to use ubuntu-server.
>
> If you don't understand all the terms i've used, you prob ought to have
> a re-think, and step-down a bit: at least until you're ready/understand, imo.

I probably should have added, there's (again, IMO) a bit of a
difference (in most cases) in running a Bedroom-ISP, and
having a box in a DC.

(and if you've only used X, you'll almost certainly want to
brush up on CL skills: running X often is a waste of
resources for a server: and for the majority of the time,
you won't be sitting at it.)

Peter Sabaini 01-05-2008 11:39 AM

On Friday 04 January 2008 14:06:10 LinuxLearner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to buy my first rack server, and place it, once I've configured
> and built on it in the home-office, into a data centre in London.

Out of curiosity -- did you consider renting a server or, even more
affordable, a virtual server? I have had a limited but mostly positive
experience using a VServer from Lycos Webhosting

peter.

Lea Gris 01-05-2008 07:05 PM

LinuxLearner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to buy my first rack server, and place it, once I've configured
> and built on it in the home-office, into a data centre in London.
>
> Of course it will be running Ubuntu! :)
Have a look at:
<http://www.ovh.co.uk/>

--
Léa Gris - http://www.noiraude.net/
() Campagne du ruban texte brut contre les courriels en HTML,

Gilles Gravier 01-06-2008 11:59 AM

London Data Centres (your recommendations, please!) :)

Title: Signature Home Chastity

Nad,

Try these guys : http://www.ntteurope.com/

Of course, they have special offers if you are running on Sun. :) Ever
try Ubuntu on a Sun UltraSPARC T1 1U or 2U server? :)

Gilles.

[...]

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org = http://www.gravier.org/

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

My Last Known
Position / Ma Derniere Position Connue

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]