Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Another Gutsy Upgrade Failure

Hello List,
Tried updating to gutsy from feisty via the Adept
update notifier/upgrader, both times failed. After the
feisty upgrades, the updater says an upgrade is
available, click next and the upgrader pops up, goes
through the preparations and fails during the
downloading with these messagea:
Failed to fetch
http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/source/Sources.gz
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/source/Sources.gz
404 Not Found
The error header states:
Error during update
A problem occurred during the update. This usually
means some sort of network problem, please chech your
network connection and retry. It has crashed swiftfox
both times before I could send this email. I may have
a problem in /etc/host(so included) as mentioned in
another thread " Re: FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt
And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install". Have tried
to correct /etc/hosts but afraid I can't after much
googling.
lchata@ubuntu:/etc/bind$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu.examples.org
127.0.1.1 ubuntu.examples.org
192.168.1.64 ubuntu
(IPv6 stuff left out-never has been changed).
Would most appreciate any ideas on how to fix. Don't
understand why the error in in Feisty instead of
Gutsy.
Thanks,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Hello List,
> Tried updating to gutsy from feisty via the Adept
> update notifier/upgrader, both times failed. After the
> feisty upgrades, the updater says an upgrade is
> available, click next and the upgrader pops up, goes
> through the preparations and fails during the
> downloading with these messagea:
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> 404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> 404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/source/Sources.gz
> 404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch
> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/source/Sources.gz
> 404 Not Found
> The error header states:
> Error during update
> A problem occurred during the update. This usually
> means some sort of network problem, please chech your
> network connection and retry. It has crashed swiftfox
> both times before I could send this email. I may have
> a problem in /etc/host(so included) as mentioned in
> another thread " Re: FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt
> And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install". Have tried
> to correct /etc/hosts but afraid I can't after much
> googling.
> lchata@ubuntu:/etc/bind$ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu.examples.org
> 127.0.1.1 ubuntu.examples.org
> 192.168.1.64 ubuntu
> (IPv6 stuff left out-never has been changed).
> Would most appreciate any ideas on how to fix. Don't
> understand why the error in in Feisty instead of
> Gutsy.
> Thanks,

Adept users perhaps will be of more help, but this is what I would do:
check /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all 'feisty' with 'gutsy'; for
the time being I would also comment out all medibuntu (and other
non-so-standard-ubuntu) entries; apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade;
the latter will most likely encounter a problem at some point, then run
apt-get -f install and try apt-get dist-upgrade again. If there still
are some packages on which upgrade fails, you can temporarily uninstall
them.

Sarunas

Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Sarunas Burdulis <sarunas@math.dartmouth.edu>
wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Hello List,
> > Tried updating to gutsy from feisty via the Adept
> > update notifier/upgrader, both times failed. After
> the
> > feisty upgrades, the updater says an upgrade is
> > available, click next and the upgrader pops up,
> goes
> > through the preparations and fails during the
> > downloading with these messagea:
> > Failed to fetch

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> > 404 Not Found
> > Failed to fetch

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> > 404 Not Found
> > Failed to fetch

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/source/Sources.gz
> > 404 Not Found
> > Failed to fetch

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/source/Sources.gz
> > 404 Not Found
> > The error header states:
> > Error during update
> > A problem occurred during the update. This
> usually
> > means some sort of network problem, please chech
> your
> > network connection and retry. It has crashed
> swiftfox
> > both times before I could send this email. I may
> have
> > a problem in /etc/host(so included) as mentioned
> in
> > another thread " Re: FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix,
> Mutt
> > And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install". Have
> tried
> > to correct /etc/hosts but afraid I can't after
> much
> > googling.
> > lchata@ubuntu:/etc/bind$ cat /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu.examples.org
> > 127.0.1.1 ubuntu.examples.org
> > 192.168.1.64 ubuntu
> > (IPv6 stuff left out-never has been changed).
> > Would most appreciate any ideas on how to fix.
> Don't
> > understand why the error in in Feisty instead of
> > Gutsy.
> > Thanks,
>
> Adept users perhaps will be of more help, but this
> is what I would do:
> check /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all 'feisty'
> with 'gutsy'; for
> the time being I would also comment out all
> medibuntu (and other
> non-so-standard-ubuntu) entries; apt-get update;
> apt-get dist-upgrade;
> the latter will most likely encounter a problem at
> some point, then run
> apt-get -f install and try apt-get dist-upgrade
> again. If there still
> are some packages on which upgrade fails, you can
> temporarily uninstall
> them.
>
> Sarunas

Thanks Sarunus,
Thanks for the info; that's what I would normally do
when using aptitude. Adept updater has successfully
did a dist-upgrade for me before but not this time.
I'll give the Adept users a try. Any comment on the
/etc/hosts entries for errors?

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Sarunas Burdulis <sarunas@math.dartmouth.edu>
> wrote:

> the
> goes
>>>>
>> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
>>>>
>> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
>>>>
>> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/source/Sources.gz
>>>>
>> http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/source/Sources.gz
> usually
> your
> swiftfox
> have
> in
> Mutt
> tried
> much
> Don't
> Adept users perhaps will be of more help, but this
> is what I would do:
> check /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all 'feisty'
> with 'gutsy'; for
> the time being I would also comment out all
> medibuntu (and other
> non-so-standard-ubuntu) entries; apt-get update;
> apt-get dist-upgrade;
> the latter will most likely encounter a problem at
> some point, then run
> apt-get -f install and try apt-get dist-upgrade
> again. If there still
> are some packages on which upgrade fails, you can
> temporarily uninstall
> them.
>
> Sarunas
>
> Thanks Sarunus,
> Thanks for the info; that's what I would normally do
> when using aptitude. Adept updater has successfully
> did a dist-upgrade for me before but not this time.
> I'll give the Adept users a try. Any comment on the
> /etc/hosts entries for errors?
I don't think there is a problem with your /etc/hosts. The "network"
problem was that http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com, which your system was
trying to access, does not exist anymore.

Sarunas

Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Sarunas Burdulis <sarunas@math.dartmouth.edu>
> > wrote:

> Adept
> After
> > the
> > goes

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/binary-i386/Packages.gz

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/free/source/Sources.gz

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists/feisty/non-free/source/Sources.gz
> > usually
> chech
> > your
> > swiftfox
> may
> > have
> mentioned
> > in
> Postfix,
> > Mutt
> > tried
> > much
> > Don't
> of
> > Adept users perhaps will be of more help, but this
> > is what I would do:
> > check /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all
> 'feisty'
> > with 'gutsy'; for
> > the time being I would also comment out all
> > medibuntu (and other
> > non-so-standard-ubuntu) entries; apt-get update;
> > apt-get dist-upgrade;
> > the latter will most likely encounter a problem at
> > some point, then run
> > apt-get -f install and try apt-get dist-upgrade
> > again. If there still
> > are some packages on which upgrade fails, you can
> > temporarily uninstall
> > them.
> >
> > Sarunas
> >
> > Thanks Sarunus,
> > Thanks for the info; that's what I would normally
> do
> > when using aptitude. Adept updater has
> successfully
> > did a dist-upgrade for me before but not this
> time.
> > I'll give the Adept users a try. Any comment on
> the
> > /etc/hosts entries for errors?
> I don't think there is a problem with your
> /etc/hosts. The "network"
> problem was that http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com, which
> your system was
> trying to access, does not exist anymore.
> You are aabsolutely right. After correctinng the
sources.list and using Adept Packaging Manager,
selecting version upgrade, the upgrade has processed
through 3/4 stages ready to do the actual install
without error. I'm about to start the install process
now and will let everyone know how it comes out.
Thanks for the input,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net