Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Colin Law

Default Cannot access broadband on 9.1

2009/11/25 Arthur Trevaskis <ajelectric@giant.net.au>:
> Hello Colin,
> I connect through an ADSL Router * "D-link DSL-502T"
> I am confused that 9.04 'found' the broadband, and worked perfectly, and 9.1
> doesn't. Is there soething wrong with 9.1?
> Appreciate your help

It is 9.10 (10th month of year 9).

Most people have no problems so we just have to work out what is your
problem. You still have not given us much information. Do you connect
to the router via a wire or wifi? If you hover over the little plug
and socket wire icon in the panel (near the date/time and username
display) what do you see? If you click on the icon what do you see?

Most important have you looked through the help pages on connecting at
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/internet/C/index.html? Troubleshooting
section might be a good place to start.

Colin

Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Chris Jones

> I connect through an ADSL Router "D-link DSL-502T"
> I am confused that 9.04 'found' the broadband, and worked perfectly, and 9.1
> doesn't. Is there soething wrong with 9.1?

Not in general, 9.10 works fine with networking here.

You still don't say 'how' you connect to your router - wired or wireless
etc. ?

Chris

p.s. Don't top post please. Trim and bottom post.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Colin Law

2009/11/25 Arthur Trevaskis <ajelectric@giant.net.au>:
> Connected by wire (ethernet cable). (I think wifi is wireless ??)
>
> The 'little plug and socket Icon' - I seem to get the normal response using
> either right or left click, the little boxes drop down.

What does it say in the boxes?

> From memory, when I hover it says *"the wired connection is connected" .
> I would have to re-start the computer with the Linux HDD to see this now,
> then again re-start with Windows HDD to get back to you, and I have to go to
> bed (work tomorrow), so what I actually see shall have to wait till tomorrow
> I'm afraid.
>
> Yes, I have been through the troubleshooting guide many times, tried many of
> the settings.

In that case go through the first couple of pages of troubleshooting
again and tell us the results of the tests suggested. In full detail,
what you did and what happened. The devil is in the detail in these
situations.

Colin

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Chris Jones

> As a child at school. I was taught to suppress unwanted zeros (to the right
> of a decimal point), so to me, 9.1 is 9.10, 9.100, etc. I still do it,
> doesn't everyone?

Mathematically you are correct. However the Ubuntu version isn't a
'number', like 9.1 or 12.23... 9.10 means (2009 10th month). Ubuntu
releases always come out in either April or October, hence the releases
are always X.04 or X.10

So, shorting 9.10 to 9.1 in this case is wrong, as that implies January
2009, not October.

Chris

Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
"Arthur Trevaskis"

a little more ...

I can access the router because I am using it now (with a different HDD
using Windows XP), and it obviously works, or did, using 9.04.