Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Firefox on 9.04 won't play videos at YouTube

Arthur Trevaskis wrote:
> Something is wrong, this subject must be someone elses problem.

Then please don't reply to this thread but start your own thread by
sending a new mail to ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com with an appropriate
subject. That way you don't hijack other people's thread and it is more
likely that someone who can help you will see your inquiry. And, no, I
don't think I can help with your problem.

Nils

Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
user1

> Did u install flash palyer plugins?

This might give a clue:

I could not play my swf videos.
Then I uninstalled adobe-flashplugin 10 and installed:
gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash, and now my swf plays fine?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Nathan Bahn

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:49 AM, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:

> * Did u install flash palyer plugins?

This might give a clue:

I could not play my swf videos.

Then I uninstalled adobe-flashplugin 10 and installed:

gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash, and now my swf plays fine?

Attention all--

Well, I finally got access to the computer in question (Thanksgiving holiday, don't you know.); used the GUI to uninstall adobe-flashplugin and likewise installed gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.* I still get black screens at youtube.com.* The person who uses it would really like to be able to see streaming videos.

--N.B.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html & http://www.openoffice.org

Old 11-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Daniel Convissor

Hi Nathan:

> Well, I finally got access to the computer in question (Thanksgiving
> holiday, don't you know.); used the GUI to uninstall adobe-flashplugin and
> likewise installed gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.

I have Flash working on my 9.10 system. All I did was:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

--Dan

--
T H E A N A L Y S I S A N D S O L U T I O N S C O M P A N Y
http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/

Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Nathan Bahn

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Daniel Convissor <danielc@analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:

Hi Nathan:

> Well, I finally got access to the computer in question (Thanksgiving

> holiday, don't you know.); used the GUI to uninstall adobe-flashplugin and

> likewise installed gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.

I have Flash working on my 9.10 system. *All I did was:

* *sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

--Dan

--

*T H E * A N A L Y S I S * A N D * S O L U T I O N S * C O M P A N Y

* * * * * *data intensive web and database programming

* * * * * * * *http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/

*4015 7th Ave #4, Brooklyn NY 11232 *v: 718-854-0335 f: 718-854-0409

Attention all--

First, I want to thank Dan and everyone else who has offered advice.* Regrettably, however, Firefox still won't play video from sites like YouTube and Veoh on this person's computer.* I respectfully await any other suggestions.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 AM
NoOp

On 11/27/2009 06:05 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:

> Attention all--
>
> Well, I finally got access to the computer in question (Thanksgiving
> holiday, don't you know.); used the GUI to uninstall adobe-flashplugin and
> likewise installed gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash. I still get black
> screens at youtube.com. The person who uses it would really like to be able
> to see streaming videos.

Uninstall/completely remove/purge gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash. They
will conflict with the adobe flash.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 AM
John Abbott

First, I want to thank Dan and everyone else who has offered advice.* Regrettably, however, Firefox still won't play video from sites like YouTube and Veoh on this person's computer.* I respectfully await any other suggestions.

Nathan,

*** Open Synaptic Program Manager, download ubuntu-restricted-extras* and everything should be just fine.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Nathan Bahn

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM, John Abbott <fewclues@gmail.com> wrote:

First, I want to thank Dan and everyone else who has offered advice.* Regrettably, however, Firefox still won't play video from sites like YouTube and Veoh on this person's computer.* I respectfully await any other suggestions.

Nathan,

*** Open Synaptic Program Manager, download ubuntu-restricted-extras* and everything should be just fine.

NoOp--
I used Synaptic Package Manager -- this is 9-04 that's on the computer -- to remove gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.
John--
ububntu-restricted-extras was already downloaded, so I reinstalled it and rebooted the computer.

RESULT:* Unfortunately, black screens are still being displayed where the streaming video should be.
:-(
I respectfully await further suggestions.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 AM
NoOp

On 11/28/2009 06:57 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM, John Abbott <fewclues@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 20:01 -0500, Nathan Bahn wrote:
>>
>> Attention all--
>>
>> First, I want to thank Dan and everyone else who has offered advice.
>> Regrettably, however, Firefox *still* won't play video from sites like
>> YouTube <http://youtube.com> and Veoh <http://veoh.com> on this person's
>> computer. I respectfully await any other suggestions.
>>
>> Nathan,
>>
>> Open Synaptic *Program Manager,* download *ubuntu-restricted-extras*
>> and everything should be just fine.
>>
>> --
>>

> NoOp--
> I used Synaptic Package Manager -- this is 9-04 that's on the computer -- to
> remove gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.
> John--
> ububntu-restricted-extras was already downloaded, so I reinstalled it and
> rebooted the computer.
> RESULT: Unfortunately, black screens are still being displayed where the
> streaming video should be.
> :-(
> I respectfully await further suggestions.
> --N.B.

In Firefox, enter: aboutlugins
in the url address/location bar. Tell us what you see for flash. Should
be something like:

Shockwave Flash
File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32

Then, if you have a flash plugin, go to: http://flash.com
and in the black box below "Adobe Flash Platform" you should get a flash
video & sound.

Also, please let us know if you are using a 64bit or 32bit version of
Ubuntu. Please provide the output of:

$ uname -a

And which version of Firefox:

$ apt-cache policy firefox

Old 11-29-2009, 03:45 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

First, I want to thank Dan and everyone else who has offered advice.* Regrettably, however, Firefox still won't play video from sites like YouTube and Veoh on this person's computer.* I respectfully await any other suggestions.

Nathan,

*** Open Synaptic Program Manager, download ubuntu-restricted-extras* and everything should be just fine.

NoOp--
I used Synaptic Package Manager -- this is 9-04 that's on the computer -- to remove gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.
John--
ububntu-restricted-extras was already downloaded, so I reinstalled it and rebooted the computer.

RESULT:* Unfortunately, black screens are still being displayed where the streaming video should be.
:-(
I respectfully await further suggestions.
*
Geeze, You were supposed to completely remove(purge) gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.* Did you using synaptic, completely remove those two files?* If not, then run:
sudo aptitude purge gnash mozilla-plugin-gnash
I see no problem with reinstalling ububntu-restricted-extras but you still need a flash plugin/player to play flash videos.
So that means reinstalling flashplugin-nonfree or flashplugin-installer whichever 9.04 has in the downloads.
Maybe run aptitude search flash to see what comes up and maybe run aptitude show <whichever flash program you think you need> to see what is says the program(s) are for and what they do.* Pretty basic stuff to help yourself out.* HTH you some.

Len