Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM
R Kimber

Default virtualbox-ose

Is virtualbox-ose installed by default? I see from synaptic that I have it
installed, yet I don't use it (not explicitly anyway). I also see that
in /etc/default/virtualbox-ose the modules are loaded by default. Is there
any harm in setting these not to load?

--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Jose Medrano

By default??? That's something weird, may be it's installed as a dependency. But no, there is no harm if you just uninstall it (considering you don't use it), or to prevent the module from loading.

Saludos
Atte.
Jose A. Medrano

-------

In The Name Of God, Those Who Had Become Into Eternal Life Without A Will, Eternal Night Shal Be Granted. Amen

Samuel Goldwyn *- "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong."

Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Steve Reilly

R Kimber wrote:
> Is virtualbox-ose installed by default? I see from synaptic that I have it
> installed, yet I don't use it (not explicitly anyway). I also see that
> in /etc/default/virtualbox-ose the modules are loaded by default. Is there
> any harm in setting these not to load?

unless things have changed with karmic, I dont believe so..... did you
maybe install with a linux magazine dvd? ive seen where they have it on
the desktop when you boot a live cd before..if you remove virtualbox,
the kernel module will go with it. I dont see the harm in not loading
the module on boot, but if you try to start virtualbox it will complain
that its not loaded. youll have to manually load it before using.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
R Kimber

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:17:51 -0500
Steve Reilly wrote:

> R Kimber wrote:
> > Is virtualbox-ose installed by default? I see from synaptic that I
> > have it installed, yet I don't use it (not explicitly anyway). I also
> > see that in /etc/default/virtualbox-ose the modules are loaded by
> > default. Is there any harm in setting these not to load?
> >

> unless things have changed with karmic, I dont believe so..... did you
> maybe install with a linux magazine dvd? ive seen where they have it on
> the desktop when you boot a live cd before..if you remove virtualbox,
> the kernel module will go with it. I dont see the harm in not loading
> the module on boot, but if you try to start virtualbox it will complain
> that its not loaded. youll have to manually load it before using.

OK. Thanks. I'm not sure how it got there. Maybe I'm going senile.

- Richard