Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Andi Meier

Default Karmic 64-bit installation does not work - SOLVED

After several fruitless attempts I tried it another way:

instead of creating an installation version with UNetbootin, I created it with usb-creator under Ubuntu itself. Installation worked, server
works now. Everything ok.

Here's what I did:
- install Ubunut Network Remix on USB flash drive A
- boot my new server with USB flash drive A (=> boot UNR)
- fetch server 64-bit iso file
- plug USB flash drive B into second USB port
- use usb-creator command to move "server 64-bit" iso to USB flash drive
- reboot using USB flash drive B (which is now the installation version of Karmic server 64-bit)

Installation went ok. Installed grub into /dev/sda. Went ok.
After installation, booted new server. Went ok.

The only difference to my first attempt (which ended up in an unbootable Ubunut version, although installation went ok) is the creation of
the installation version on the USB flash drive:
- using UNetbooin under Windows left me with an unbootable installation
- using usb-creator under UNR managed to do everything right.

This sounds weird and I do not really understand what really happened. But this is how it turned out. Well, finally I'm happy.

Cheers,
Alex