-   -   netbook v. laptop / remix (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/285348-netbook-v-laptop-remix.html)

"Harry L. Lee" 11-24-2009 02:51 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

do you have a way to readily install ubuntu on the netbook? (a usb optical drive is worth the investment.)

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

Here is a two part question, the first part not really an ubuntu question

I have available a great deal (it appears) on a compaq netbook (model

110c-1100DX) for $180 us. *It has the Atom N270 processor and 1 GB of

ram. *Sine these things usually run over $300, I'm interested.

My current laptop is a Thinkpad R40. *System monitor reports it as

"Mobil Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz" and 756.5 MiB of ram.

Question 1. *I know the netbook would run way longer, cooler and less

power and lighter etc. *But in terms of performance, how much of a hit

would I take? *The laptop is mostly used for "netbook" type stuff but

needs to be able to do some office type stuff and some basic GIMPing

while I am on the road.

Question 2. Does anyone have experience with this particular netbook and

Ubuntu Netbook remix? *Obviously I won't leave windows on it any longer

than absolutely necessary.

Thanks for any thoughts.

harry@jonesnose.com
Harry L Lee (via gmail)
chief cook and bottle washer
http://jonesnose.com

mailto:harry@jonesnose.com
207-384-8030 (email preferred)

Steve Lamb 11-24-2009 09:51 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

Harry L. Lee wrote:
> do you have a way to readily install ubuntu on the netbook? (a usb
> optical drive is worth the investment.)

A 4Gb USB stick is far cheaper. ;)

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who decides what they dream?
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | And dream I do...

Steve Lamb 11-24-2009 10:10 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

Patton Echols wrote:
> I have available a great deal (it appears) on a compaq netbook (model
> 110c-1100DX) for $180 us. It has the Atom N270 processor and 1 GB of
> ram. Sine these things usually run over $300, I'm interested.

> My current laptop is a Thinkpad R40. System monitor reports it as
> "Mobil Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz" and 756.5 MiB of ram.

For comparison I have a Dell Mini 10v. /proc/cpuinfo says it has...
model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
...and I know it has 1Gb of RAM.

Work has provided me with a Lenovo T61 which CNet lists as having:
# Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 / 2.0 GHz

> Question 1. I know the netbook would run way longer, cooler and less
> power and lighter etc. But in terms of performance, how much of a hit
> would I take? The laptop is mostly used for "netbook" type stuff but
> needs to be able to do some office type stuff and some basic GIMPing
> while I am on the road.

From my perspective, not too much. At least if you're limiting yourself
to web, email, some flash video or flash gaming, and light productivity work.
I don't use GIMP (I am the very antithesis of artistic) so cannot say how
that would perform. However I don't regret, for a moment, getting my Mini 10v.

Since purchase this pretty much has become my sole machine from which I
browse the web and send/receive my personal email/IMs. Thunderbird, Firefox
and Pidgin are running any time this machine is running and all perform admirably.

The only two things this machine cannot do is watch Youtube HD videos or
watch Hulu videos. Of course Youtube's HD videos are 1280x720 and this screen
is 1024x600. IE, it has no business watching those videos in the first place!
As for Hulu I'm not sure what is going on there. It should be able to
handle it but I think their flash player must be abysmally programmed as this
machine stutters on their 360p videos. *shrug*

Does my T61 feel snappier? A tad. Can it handle Youtube HD and Hulu
videos? Definitely. Can it play some 3D games? Yup! But I don't expect my
Mini to do any of those things. For what it does I think it is darn near perfect.

My only gripe, however, is that I am nominally stuck on Dell's 8.04.

> Question 2. Does anyone have experience with this particular netbook and
> Ubuntu Netbook remix? Obviously I won't leave windows on it any longer
> than absolutely necessary.

I would avoid UNR like the plague. Designed with a netbook's smaller
screen size in mind means "foisting a stupid launcher on you and forcing all
your apps to go full screen whether you like it or not." Seriously. There's
this application called maximus. The sole purpose of that app is to force all
your windows full-screen; even if they are not intended to ever be used full
screen (like some configuration dialogs). There is NO configuring it. NO
telling it to not run. NO ability to remove it nicely. After an hour or two
of frustration I resorted to chmod 000ing it to get it to stop screwing with
my machine.

Meanwhile the applications themselves are not modified in any way to
accommodate the smaller screen. They still waste vertical space by having
both GNome bars active. Stupid enough on a full-size screen, down right
criminal on one as small as a netbook's screen. Also the number one thing to
do for browsing, if you use Firefox, is to install the Addon "Compact Menu".
Takes the menu bar and makes it a single icon. Saves vertical space.
Decidedly absent in UNR. So I see UNR as a whole lot of crap and no real benefit.

Better to go with the normal distribution and tweak to taste.

art 11-24-2009 04:25 PM

netbook v. laptop / remix

Steve Lamb wrote:
> I would avoid UNR like the plague. Designed with a netbook's smaller
> screen size in mind means "foisting a stupid launcher on you and forcing all
> your apps to go full screen whether you like it or not." Seriously. There's
> this application called maximus. The sole purpose of that app is to force all
> your windows full-screen; even if they are not intended to ever be used full
> screen (like some configuration dialogs). There is NO configuring it. NO
> telling it to not run.
I've been using UNR on my Acer Aspire One for a while now. Maximus takes
some getting used to, but it is usable. Right-click on the title bar,
and there is an "unmaximize" option, that puts the window back to it's
original size, if you want. Now, if it would just remember by app which
ones I unmaximize, I'd be a whole lot happier with it. But it hasn't
annoyed me so much that I went back to the regular desktop.
Art

"Harry L. Lee" 11-24-2009 04:32 PM

netbook v. laptop / remix

i always installfrom alternate.

Dedhi Sujatmiko 11-25-2009 01:20 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

Patton Echols wrote:
> Question 1. I know the netbook would run way longer,

Not true, most notebook have only 3 cells batter to be cheap and light.
In effect, 2 hours with Intel Atom netbook is expected.
> cooler and less
> power and lighter etc.
Lighter, that is true, mostly on the 1 - 1.2 kg range.

> But in terms of performance, how much of a hit
> would I take? The laptop is mostly used for "netbook" type stuff but
> needs to be able to do some office type stuff and some basic GIMPing
> while I am on the road.

1. Definitely cannot do H.264 encoded movie, or any movie above 720p
resolution, and I encoded most of my movie using that standard. I
thought it can be used as my travelling companion
2. GIMP? The resolution is only 1024x600, cannot edit my photo nicely
3. Some office stuff, as long as you can be happy with 89% keyboard
size, than it should be OK.

At the end, the only really killer usage of my netbook are :
1. As Skype or any VoiP and video conference terminal
2. Web browsing and blog walking
3. Heavy email client

> Question 2. Does anyone have experience with this particular netbook and
> Ubuntu Netbook remix? Obviously I won't leave windows on it any longer
> than absolutely necessary.

Though I do not have that particular model, the specs looks ordinary
netbook with Intel Atom. UNR should do just fine

Dedhi Sujatmiko 11-25-2009 01:22 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

Harry L. Lee wrote:
> i always installfrom alternate.

Care to elaborate why do you need to do the more arduous task of
installing using Alternate? What will be the benefit of that?

Steve Lamb 11-25-2009 01:26 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

Dedhi Sujatmiko wrote:
> Harry L. Lee wrote:
>> i always installfrom alternate.

> Care to elaborate why do you need to do the more arduous task of
> installing using Alternate? What will be the benefit of that?

LPIA binaries for one.

"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)" 11-25-2009 08:00 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

On Tue, November 24, 2009 12:10, Steve Lamb wrote:

>> Question 2. Does anyone have experience with this particular netbook and
>> Ubuntu Netbook remix? Obviously I won't leave windows on it any longer
>> than absolutely necessary.
>
> I would avoid UNR like the plague. Designed with a netbook's smaller
> screen size in mind means "foisting a stupid launcher on you and forcing
> all
> your apps to go full screen whether you like it or not." Seriously.
> There's
> this application called maximus. The sole purpose of that app is to force
> all
> your windows full-screen; even if they are not intended to ever be used
> full
> screen (like some configuration dialogs). There is NO configuring it. NO
> telling it to not run. NO ability to remove it nicely. After an hour or
> two
> of frustration I resorted to chmod 000ing it to get it to stop screwing
> with
> my machine.
>
> Meanwhile the applications themselves are not modified in any way to
> accommodate the smaller screen. They still waste vertical space by having
> both GNome bars active. Stupid enough on a full-size screen, down right
> criminal on one as small as a netbook's screen. Also the number one thing
> do for browsing, if you use Firefox, is to install the Addon "Compact
> Menu".
> Takes the menu bar and makes it a single icon. Saves vertical space.
> Decidedly absent in UNR. So I see UNR as a whole lot of crap and no real
> benefit.
>
> Better to go with the normal distribution and tweak to taste.

You should try Crunchbang. This is an Ubuntu flavor with Openbox desktop.
Very lightweight, very useful for a netbook. Requires a little bit of
getting used to if you only know KDE or Gnome.

Steve Lamb 11-25-2009 08:21 AM

netbook v. laptop / remix

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> You should try Crunchbang. This is an Ubuntu flavor with Openbox desktop.
> Very lightweight, very useful for a netbook. Requires a little bit of
> getting used to if you only know KDE or Gnome.

I really don't think a machine with 1Gb of RAM needs "lightweight" when it
is more powerful than my last laptop that ran KDE 4.x. Dell Latitude CPx P3
667Mhz w/256Mb of RAM. Maybe on Droid?