Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

Default netbook v. laptop / remix

On Wed, November 25, 2009 10:21, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
>> You should try Crunchbang. This is an Ubuntu flavor with Openbox
>> desktop.
>> Very lightweight, very useful for a netbook. Requires a little bit of
>> getting used to if you only know KDE or Gnome.
>
> I really don't think a machine with 1Gb of RAM needs "lightweight"
> when it
> is more powerful than my last laptop that ran KDE 4.x. Dell Latitude CPx
> P3
> 667Mhz w/256Mb of RAM. Maybe on Droid?

There are two ways to look at "lightweight":
1. low on system resources
2. without all the bloat of applications that you will never use anyway

KDE and Gnome *can* be lightweight according to the second interpretation.
But (almost) nobody bothers to clean up the toys. Openbox otoh doesn't
install unnecessary toys by default, so any bloat is self inflicted.

Anyway perhaps the discussion should move to sounder?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Patton Echols

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I have been monitoring, but on
webmail. So as to not break the threads, I waited until I fired up my
current lappy before replying.

I passed on the particular deal I saw, but am watching prices on a
slightly larger (12") HP that w/ the LED backlights

Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Dedhi Sujatmiko

Steve Lamb wrote:
> LPIA binaries for one.

I see. TFYI.
I have to admit that I only knew about LPIA's existence when Canonical
decided to drop it from 10.4 release onwards