Old 11-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Patton Echols

Default netbook v. laptop / remix

Here is a two part question, the first part not really an ubuntu question

I have available a great deal (it appears) on a compaq netbook (model
110c-1100DX) for $180 us. It has the Atom N270 processor and 1 GB of
ram. Sine these things usually run over $300, I'm interested.

My current laptop is a Thinkpad R40. System monitor reports it as
"Mobil Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz" and 756.5 MiB of ram.

Question 1. I know the netbook would run way longer, cooler and less
power and lighter etc. But in terms of performance, how much of a hit
would I take? The laptop is mostly used for "netbook" type stuff but
needs to be able to do some office type stuff and some basic GIMPing
while I am on the road.

Question 2. Does anyone have experience with this particular netbook and
Ubuntu Netbook remix? Obviously I won't leave windows on it any longer
than absolutely necessary.

Thanks for any thoughts.