Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM
hello

Default Geeki Wiki

Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
book.
Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
include?
TYVVM

Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Mark Traceur

> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
> book.
> Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
> include?
> TYVVM

Well, wikis aren't written by one person (generally). Let people
contribute to it, that is (after all) the open source way.

Off the top of my head:

1. Bash scripting
2. C++
3. C
4. Makefiles
5. man pages
6. vi/emacs
7. apt-get
8. Making from source
9. ssh
10. ftp

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Fedora 12 Package Installation Policy Tightened -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a6gs1/fedora_12_package_installation_policy_tightened/

Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

11/23/2009 08:19 PM, Mark Traceur:
> 6. vi/emacs

- Vi
- Emacs

;-)

+261 33 11 207 36

Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Chris Jones

On 23 Nov 2009, at 3:55pm, hello wrote:

> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
> book.
> Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
> include?
> TYVVM

Whoa. That is ambitious ... Published books on "how to program" would probably fill a considerably large library in itself..

I'll be frank. What you seem to propose has most likely already been done in one place or another. Rewriting it yourself in another form seems a waste of time to me. But hey, its your time not mine.

I would suggest instead trying to just put together a list of the best list of links you can to these other resources, that already cover these various areas you want to cover, and just link to them from your twiki ?

Chris

Old 11-23-2009, 07:34 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Mon, November 23, 2009 16:55, hello wrote:
> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
> book.
> Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
> include?
> TYVVM

Take a look at The Jargon File and everything else that ESR has written.
That'll be a good start. But you will barely have scratched the surface.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Patton Echols

On 11/23/2009 10:38 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2009, at 3:55pm, hello wrote:
>

>> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
>> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
>> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
>> book.
>>

> I would suggest instead trying to just put together a list of the best list of links you can to these other resources, that already cover these various areas you want to cover, and just link to them from your twiki ?

Allow me to second that and also suggest that you do some links ease of
use ==> completeness.

Example: For bash scripting:
http://www.linuxconfig.org/Bash_scripting_Tutorial
This site has a fairly straightforward listing of things that a bash
scripter needs to know. But see :
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
This site the "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" is definitely not for the
faint of heart, but contains a ton of good stuff.

There may be even simpler / better references in either category and
maybe there is a complete noob tutorial available. I can see how even
an advanced user would want to have both as a reference. After all,
sometimes you just want a quick answer!

Cheers,

--PE

Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Avi Greenbury

Chris Jones wrote:

> I'll be frank. What you seem to propose has most likely already been
> done in one place or another. Rewriting it yourself in another form
> seems a waste of time to me. But hey, its your time not mine.
>
> I would suggest instead trying to just put together a list of the
> best list of links you can to these other resources, that already
> cover these various areas you want to cover, and just link to them
> from your twiki ?

Exactly.

Once you've covered how to find information (which is pretty vital),
the rest of the endeavour seems mostly superfluous.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 PM