-   -   Geeki Wiki (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/284994-geeki-wiki.html)

hello 11-23-2009 02:55 PM

Geeki Wiki

Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
book.
Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
include?
TYVVM

Mark Traceur 11-23-2009 04:19 PM

Geeki Wiki

> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
> book.
> Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
> include?
> TYVVM

Well, wikis aren't written by one person (generally). Let people
contribute to it, that is (after all) the open source way.

Off the top of my head:

1. Bash scripting
2. C++
3. C
4. Makefiles
5. man pages
6. vi/emacs
7. apt-get
8. Making from source
9. ssh
10. ftp

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Fedora 12 Package Installation Policy Tightened -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a6gs1/fedora_12_package_installation_policy_tightened/

Rakotomandimby Mihamina 11-23-2009 05:23 PM

Geeki Wiki

11/23/2009 08:19 PM, Mark Traceur:
> 6. vi/emacs

- Vi
- Emacs

;-)

+261 33 11 207 36

Chris Jones 11-23-2009 05:38 PM

Geeki Wiki

On 23 Nov 2009, at 3:55pm, hello wrote:

> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
> book.
> Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
> include?
> TYVVM

Whoa. That is ambitious ... Published books on "how to program" would probably fill a considerably large library in itself..

I'll be frank. What you seem to propose has most likely already been done in one place or another. Rewriting it yourself in another form seems a waste of time to me. But hey, its your time not mine.

I would suggest instead trying to just put together a list of the best list of links you can to these other resources, that already cover these various areas you want to cover, and just link to them from your twiki ?

Chris

"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)" 11-23-2009 07:34 PM

Geeki Wiki

On Mon, November 23, 2009 16:55, hello wrote:
> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
> book.
> Can someone give me some pointers as to some of the things I should
> include?
> TYVVM

Take a look at The Jargon File and everything else that ESR has written.
That'll be a good start. But you will barely have scratched the surface.

Patton Echols 11-24-2009 02:17 AM

Geeki Wiki

On 11/23/2009 10:38 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2009, at 3:55pm, hello wrote:
>

>> Hi. I am trying at this very moment to write a wiki on everything an
>> ubergeek FLOSS technical user needs to know, namely how to program, how to
>> use lots of bash commands (hopefully all) and nearly every trick in the
>> book.
>>

> I would suggest instead trying to just put together a list of the best list of links you can to these other resources, that already cover these various areas you want to cover, and just link to them from your twiki ?

Allow me to second that and also suggest that you do some links ease of
use ==> completeness.

Example: For bash scripting:
http://www.linuxconfig.org/Bash_scripting_Tutorial
This site has a fairly straightforward listing of things that a bash
scripter needs to know. But see :
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
This site the "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" is definitely not for the
faint of heart, but contains a ton of good stuff.

There may be even simpler / better references in either category and
maybe there is a complete noob tutorial available. I can see how even
an advanced user would want to have both as a reference. After all,
sometimes you just want a quick answer!

Cheers,

--PE

Avi Greenbury 11-24-2009 08:27 AM

Geeki Wiki

Chris Jones wrote:

> I'll be frank. What you seem to propose has most likely already been
> done in one place or another. Rewriting it yourself in another form
> seems a waste of time to me. But hey, its your time not mine.
>
> I would suggest instead trying to just put together a list of the
> best list of links you can to these other resources, that already
> cover these various areas you want to cover, and just link to them
> from your twiki ?

Exactly.

Once you've covered how to find information (which is pretty vital),
the rest of the endeavour seems mostly superfluous.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)

"Rallias UberNerd" 12-11-2009 01:47 PM