Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 AM
"angels mail"

Default fonts in firefox

hello to you all,
the fonts in my mozilla browser are all very small (screen resolution is 1280x1024 - the only one I can have with my ati card) ... I tried to change the default fonts in preferences and in about:config, but it doesn't work. Is there any other solution...hm?

thanks for your response

Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Jonathan Kaye

angels mail wrote:

> hello to you all,
> the fonts in my mozilla browser are all very small (screen resolution is
> 1280x1024 - the only one I can have with my ati card) ... I tried to
> change the default fonts in preferences and in about:config, but it
> doesn't work. Is there any other solution...hm?
> thanks for your response
Hi,
ctrl-+ will increase the font size in FFx or ctrl while moving mouse scroll
wheel will do the same thing.
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
"Kim Briggs"

On 1/6/08, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:
> angels mail wrote:
>
> > hello to you all,
> > the fonts in my mozilla browser are all very small (screen resolution is
> > 1280x1024 - the only one I can have with my ati card) ... I tried to
> > change the default fonts in preferences and in about:config, but it
> > doesn't work. Is there any other solution...hm?
> > thanks for your response
> Hi,
> ctrl-+ will increase the font size in FFx or ctrl while moving mouse scroll
> wheel will do the same thing.
> Cheers,
> Jonathan
> --

FYI: It seems like it would be easier for most people to use
Edit...Preferences...Content than using the "config" method.

HTH
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
"Sean Carolan"

> ctrl-+ will increase the font size in FFx or ctrl while moving mouse scroll
> wheel will do the same thing.

Ok, I have this same problem as well, but doing CTRL + or mouse scroll
wheel makes some fonts gigantic, while others only get a little big
bigger. The end result is that many poorly designed websites no
longer render well, with GUI options missing or unreadable because the
text has scrolled off the side of the button.

Why is is that even though I have msttcorefonts installed I cannot get
Firefox on Linux to look as good? The default settings on Windows
look nice and sharp, and quite readable with no tweaking. On the
Linux side of things, not so much. I have even tried duplicating the
exact settings I had on Windows but to no avail.

Firefox on Ubuntu seems to look a bit better than FF on CentOS though.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
"angels mail"

thanks for your replies ... unfortunately, I already know that (i.e. how to increase the fonts)... but .. as I'm new in Ubuntu, I'm still a little windowish* ) as one of my friends used to say and I'm still 'expecting' that Ubuntu will do some those little repairments such as font in FF.* Never matters, I will do with ctrl -+*

one of the lovely things here in ubuntu is that if I set the font in the browser as I love to...all the pages (in the same tab) will be displayed with the previously setting fonts

have a nice day

Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Wulfy

Sean Carolan wrote:

ctrl-+ will increase the font size in FFx or ctrl while moving mouse scroll
wheel will do the same thing.

Ok, I have this same problem as well, but doing CTRL + or mouse scroll
wheel makes some fonts gigantic, while others only get a little big
bigger. The end result is that many poorly designed websites no
longer render well, with GUI options missing or unreadable because the
text has scrolled off the side of the button.

Why is is that even though I have msttcorefonts installed I cannot get
Firefox on Linux to look as good? The default settings on Windows
look nice and sharp, and quite readable with no tweaking. On the
Linux side of things, not so much. I have even tried duplicating the
exact settings I had on Windows but to no avail.

Firefox on Ubuntu seems to look a bit better than FF on CentOS though.

My fonts are quite sharp, but I tweaked things a bit.* Not sure where I
got this from, but it seems to work for me.* Be sure to back up your
.fonts.config file first, just on case.

Make a new text file in your home folder and name if .fonts.config two
dots as it's a hidden file.* Place this text in it.* You'll probably
have to log-out and -in again to make it work...

**************************

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">

<fontconfig>

*<match target="font" >

* <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >

** <const>rgb</const>

* </edit>

*</match>

*<match target="font" >

* <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >

** <bool>true</bool>

* </edit>

*</match>

*<match target="font" >

* <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >

** <const>hintslight</const>

* </edit>

*</match>

*<match target="font" >

* <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >

** <bool>true</bool>

* </edit>

*</match>

</fontconfig>

**************************

I hope this works for you...* :@)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 PM
NoOp

On 01/06/2008 07:24 AM, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> angels mail wrote:
>
>> hello to you all,
>> the fonts in my mozilla browser are all very small (screen resolution is
>> 1280x1024 - the only one I can have with my ati card) ... I tried to
>> change the default fonts in preferences and in about:config, but it
>> doesn't work. Is there any other solution...hm?
>> thanks for your response
> Hi,
> ctrl-+ will increase the font size in FFx or ctrl while moving mouse scroll
> wheel will do the same thing.
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

The -+ is not required. Just the Ctrl key and mouse scroll wheel will
work. If this is not the case on your FF, check in about:config:

mousewheel.withcontrolkey.action

should be set to 3. If not double-click the 'Value' and change to 3.

mousewheel.withcontrolkey
How mousewheel works when CTRL key is pressed
mousewheel.withcontrolkey.action
Action to take

* 0 : Scroll document by X lines
* 1 : Scroll document by one page
* 2 : Move back/forward in history
* 3 : Make text larger/smaller

mousewheel.withcontrolkey.numlines
Number of lines to scroll by (if relevant)
mousewheel.withcontrolkey.sysnumlines
Scroll by a number of lines equal to system default?

And, if by chance you are like Dotan and have only one good hand at the
moment, you can also set it so that the scroll wheel alone can adjust
the text (but then you need to use the scroll bar to scroll the page):

mousewheel.withnokey
How mousewheel works when no key is pressed
mousewheel.withnokey.action
Action to take

* 0 : Scroll document by X lines
* 1 : Scroll document by one page
* 2 : Move back/forward in history
* 3 : Make text larger/smaller

mousewheel.withnokey.numlines
Number of lines to scroll by (if relevant)
mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines
Scroll by a number of lines equal to system default?

Ref: http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

Gary