-   -   no sound playing DVD (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/284518-no-sound-playing-dvd.html)

stan 11-22-2009 01:40 PM

no sound playing DVD

I just upgraded a machine to 9.10, and used this link:

http://www.johannes-eva.net/index.php?page=2009_10_useful_ubuntu_guide_karmic

To set up to play DVD's. (actually I did this on a desktop, and a laptop).
On the desktop, all seems well, ecept that I don;t have any sound while
playing DVD's. I do have sound playing MP4's with mp3blaster, if that helps
to diagnose the issue.

What should I chekc to diagnose/repair this?

The laptop is another problem, it plays some DVD's, but won't play
comercialy issued ones, any sugestions here?

> I just upgraded a machine to 9.10, and used this link:
>
> http://www.johannes-eva.net/index.php?page=2009_10_useful_ubuntu_guide_karmic
>
> To set up to play DVD's. (actually I did this on a desktop, and a laptop).
> On the desktop, all seems well, ecept that I don;t have any sound while
> playing DVD's. I do have sound playing MP4's with mp3blaster, if that helps
> to diagnose the issue.
>
> What should I chekc to diagnose/repair this?
>
> The laptop is another problem, it plays some DVD's, but won't play
> comercialy issued ones, any sugestions here?

Perhaps you can be a little more specific... what application are you
using to play the DVD's?

stan 11-22-2009 09:00 PM

no sound playing DVD

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 01:48:33PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/22/2009 06:40 AM, stan wrote:
> > I just upgraded a machine to 9.10, and used this link:
> >
> > http://www.johannes-eva.net/index.php?page=2009_10_useful_ubuntu_guide_karmic
> >
> > To set up to play DVD's. (actually I did this on a desktop, and a laptop).
> > On the desktop, all seems well, ecept that I don;t have any sound while
> > playing DVD's. I do have sound playing MP4's with mp3blaster, if that helps
> > to diagnose the issue.
> >
> > What should I chekc to diagnose/repair this?
> >
> > The laptop is another problem, it plays some DVD's, but won't play
> > comercialy issued ones, any sugestions here?
> >

> Perhaps you can be a little more specific... what application are you
> using to play the DVD's?

There seem to be 3 applications installed that I am offered, I think 2 of
them are mplayer, and vlc. The sound does nto work on any of them.

What else can I answer to help narow down he palces I need to look?