Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Ryan Chan

Default groupinstall / grouplist equivalent in ubuntu?

Hello,

Are there any groupinstall / grouplist equivalent in ubuntu?

So I can install mass program without one by one?

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Graham Todd

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:12:36 +0800
Ryan Chan <ryanchan404@gmail.com> uttered these words:

> Hello,
>
> Are there any groupinstall / grouplist equivalent in ubuntu?
>
> So I can install mass program without one by one?
>
> Thanks.
[snipped]

Not sure what you mean, but Linux already installs apps and with them
installs all their dependencies. The apt-get system is particularly
good at this to pull in binaries in the .deb format.

--
Graham Todd

Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Ryan Chan

Hey,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Graham Todd
<grahamtodd2@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Not sure what you mean, but Linux already installs apps and with them
> installs all their dependencies. *The apt-get system is particularly
> good at this to pull in binaries in the .deb format.

In Redhat Linux, we can install a group of programs using one command, e.g.

yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"

not just a particular program.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Arthur Johnson

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Ryan Chan <ryanchan404@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any groupinstall / grouplist equivalent in ubuntu?
>
> So I can install mass program without one by one?
>
> Thanks.

Ryan,

In Debian based systems, like Ubuntu, groups are handled through two mechanisms:

1. meta-packages. These look like regular old packages. For
instance, to install development tools, the command to install would
be:

apt-get install build-essential

To install the Xfce desktop, you would install the "xfce4" package, and so on.

2. tasksel. This is a graphical menu that will allow you to select
groups of packages, such as specific server, desktops, etc.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Ryan Chan

Hello,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Arthur Johnson
<arthur.johnson@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Debian based systems, like Ubuntu, groups are handled through two mechanisms:
>
> 1. meta-packages. *These look like regular old packages. *For
> instance, to install development tools, the command to install would
> be:

Yes, that;s what I want.

Where can I find a complete list of meta-packages?

Old 11-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Arthur Johnson

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Ryan Chan <ryanchan404@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Arthur Johnson
> <arthur.johnson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In Debian based systems, like Ubuntu, groups are handled through two mechanisms:
>>
>> 1. meta-packages. *These look like regular old packages. *For
>> instance, to install development tools, the command to install would
>> be:
>>

> Yes, that;s what I want.
>
> Where can I find a complete list of meta-packages?

apt-cache search meta package