Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Steve

Default gmane.org down

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:41:23 -0000, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Seems that Res has a reason to chuckle this morning... seems that
> gmane.org is down so those of that use it for posting to the list have
> to resort to email for the day :-(

<snigger>He He</snigger>

--
Steve

Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 PM
NoOp

On 11/21/2009 12:53 PM, Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:41:23 -0000, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Seems that Res has a reason to chuckle this morning... seems that
>> gmane.org is down so those of that use it for posting to the list have
>> to resort to email for the day :-(
>>

> <snigger>He He</snigger>

Ah well... at least there are 'alternate' methods :-)

Old 11-21-2009, 08:19 PM
NoOp

On 11/21/2009 01:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/21/2009 12:53 PM, Steve wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:41:23 -0000, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Seems that Res has a reason to chuckle this morning... seems that
>>> gmane.org is down so those of that use it for posting to the list have
>>> to resort to email for the day :-(
>>>

>> <snigger>He He</snigger>
>>

> Ah well... at least there are 'alternate' methods :-)

And it's back up :-)
$ ping news.gmane.org
PING ger.gmane.org (80.91.229.13) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ger.gmane.org (80.91.229.13): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=213 ms

Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Cristopher Thomas

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 12:41 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> Seems that Res has a reason to chuckle this morning... seems that
> gmane.org is down so those of that use it for posting to the list have
> to resort to email for the day :-(

I fail to see why that is a superior method than using email.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 AM
James Taylor

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:07:59 -0500, Cristopher Thomas wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 12:41 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>
>> Seems that Res has a reason to chuckle this morning... seems that
>> gmane.org is down so those of that use it for posting to the list have
>> to resort to email for the day :-(
>>

> I fail to see why that is a superior method than using email.

Gmane's NNTP interface allows the use of a Usenet news client, nearly all
of which provide a far better way to read and organise group messages than
most email clients provide. Email clients tend to be well designed for one-
to-one messages and not well designed for threading group conversations.

On Ubuntu, Evolution is a pig for reading lists or for reading Usenet,
whereas I can recommend Pan (available in the Ubuntu repositories).

--
James Taylor

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
NoOp

On 11/21/2009 10:52 PM, James Taylor wrote:
> On Ubuntu, Evolution is a pig for reading lists or for reading Usenet,
> whereas I can recommend Pan (available in the Ubuntu repositories).

+1
There is no option to read x amount of headers. Instead Evolution
insists on download *all* headers from the newsgroup first & on a list
such as this with ~201428 headers that can take a very looooong time.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 AM
James Taylor

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:17:46 -0800, NoOp wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/21/2009 10:52 PM, James Taylor wrote:
>
>> On Ubuntu, Evolution is a pig for reading lists or for reading Usenet,
>> whereas I can recommend Pan (available in the Ubuntu repositories).
>
> +1
> There is no option to read x amount of headers. Instead Evolution
> insists on download *all* headers from the newsgroup first & on a list
> such as this with ~201428 headers that can take a very looooong time.

The irony is that I've come up against a bug in Pan that causes most
articles to disappear from the list before I get a chance to see them, and
the only way to get them back is by deleting and reloading them all. Pan
is a nice newsreader, but this bug is a show stopper so I'm going to have
to find another newsreader. How do you find SeaMonkey? Is the newsreader
component the same as Thunderbird?

--
James Taylor

Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 AM
NoOp

On 11/23/2009 05:52 PM, James Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:17:46 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/2009 10:52 PM, James Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> On Ubuntu, Evolution is a pig for reading lists or for reading Usenet,
>>> whereas I can recommend Pan (available in the Ubuntu repositories).
>>
>> +1
>> There is no option to read x amount of headers. Instead Evolution
>> insists on download *all* headers from the newsgroup first & on a list
>> such as this with ~201428 headers that can take a very looooong time.
>
> The irony is that I've come up against a bug in Pan that causes most
> articles to disappear from the list before I get a chance to see them, and
> the only way to get them back is by deleting and reloading them all. Pan
> is a nice newsreader, but this bug is a show stopper so I'm going to have
> to find another newsreader. How do you find SeaMonkey? Is the newsreader
> component the same as Thunderbird?

It (SeaMonkey) is basically the same as Thunderbird (they use the same
code with some slight modifications). I have been running SM since the
first version & quite honestly seldom use anything else. I'll run Opera
and/or Thunderbird (3.x) to test once in awhile, but SM is my primary
browser, email client, and newsreader.

However, I do not use the outdated Ubuntu versions; instead I download
SeaMonkey from mozilla.org/SeaMonkey project
(http://www.seamonkey-project.org/) and extract to a home folder & run
from there. Note: I only run 32bit, Leonard Chatagnier can help with the
prereleased 2.01pre 64bit version(s).

I recommend that you give SM a spin - if you need assistance, let me
know and I'll be glad to help on, or off list.