FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default rsync backup

I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
.. /media/disk-1, or something like that.

I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
Google but their info is trivial.

Is anyone using something like this?

Karl



--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Brian Craft
 
Default rsync backup

I use rsync both at work and home for daily backups. For my laptop at
home that has a separate partition just for backups, I wrote the
following script file and then set a cron job to run each morning at
2am. I'm not excluding anything, but here is what I'm using. I just put
the following in a new file and name it backup.sh (make it executable).


#!/bin/sh

rsync -avh /home/brian/
/media/b0f19085-3ada-4af8-b201-6f53cdd73899/ubuntu910backup/


Hope that helps

Brian Craft

Linux Counter id: 97873

Linux......the OS of Choice!








Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>
> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> Google but their info is trivial.
>
> Is anyone using something like this?
>
> Karl
>
>
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Chris
 
Default rsync backup

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:08:57 -0700
Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>
> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> Google but their info is trivial.
>
> Is anyone using something like this?
>
> Karl
>
>
>

I prefer to use rdiff-backup. I use cli however, I think there is a
graphical front-end for it also.

--
Best regards,

Chris

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default rsync backup

Brian Craft wrote:
> I use rsync both at work and home for daily backups. For my laptop at
> home that has a separate partition just for backups, I wrote the
> following script file and then set a cron job to run each morning at
> 2am. I'm not excluding anything, but here is what I'm using. I just put
> the following in a new file and name it backup.sh (make it executable).
>
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> rsync -avh /home/brian/
> /media/b0f19085-3ada-4af8-b201-6f53cdd73899/ubuntu910backup/
>


Unless I don't understand, your backup is just for the
/home/brian directory. I can do that. But what I want is a
complete backup of this computer.

Karl

>
> Hope that helps
>
> Brian Craft
>
> Linux Counter id: 97873
>
> Linux......the OS of Choice!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>>
>> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
>> Google but their info is trivial.
>>
>> Is anyone using something like this?
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>
>>
>>
>


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Chris
 
Default rsync backup

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:47:37 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Brian Craft wrote:
> > I use rsync both at work and home for daily backups. For my
> > laptop at home that has a separate partition just for backups, I
> > wrote the following script file and then set a cron job to run each
> > morning at 2am. I'm not excluding anything, but here is what I'm
> > using. I just put the following in a new file and name it backup.sh
> > (make it executable).
> >
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > rsync -avh /home/brian/
> > /media/b0f19085-3ada-4af8-b201-6f53cdd73899/ubuntu910backup/
> >
>
>
> Unless I don't understand, your backup is just for the
> /home/brian directory. I can do that. But what I want is a
> complete backup of this computer.
>
> Karl
>
> >
> > Hope that helps
> >
> > Brian Craft
> >
> > Linux Counter id: 97873
> >
> > Linux......the OS of Choice!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup
> >> of my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> >> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
> >>
> >> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> >> Google but their info is trivial.
> >>
> >> Is anyone using something like this?
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>

If you want super simple and have say an 8 or 16 gig thumb-drive, you
could use Clonezilla.

It'll only create an image of the data used on the system (the whole
system - follow-up with the Clonezilla site for details).

I use it once a week to create a "snapshot" that I have go to a terra
drive. My system runs on a 400 gig base drive and if I choose to, can
have Clonezilla save it to my thumb-drive. For me, it's only about 5 gig
and fits well within my 8 gig thumb-drive

--
Best regards,

Chris

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 05:23 PM
don fisher
 
Default rsync backup

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>
> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> Google but their info is trivial.
>
> Is anyone using something like this?
>
> Karl
>
>
>

I have the following in a a script that backs up the entire disk to a
500GB usb drive that I mount on /backup.

sudo nice --adjustment=10 rsync -rlpgouvtS --progress -v
--delete --modify-window=1200
--exclude-from=/home/your_name/rsync-backup_exclude / /backup

The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
/proc/*
/sys/*
/dev/*
/lost+found/*
/var/log/lastlog
/swapfile
/usr2/*
/usr3/*
/tmp/*
/net/*
/mnt/*
/cdrom/*

You probably don't have all of the same mount points that I do, so edit
to taste.

don
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
| Don Fisher hdf3@comcast.net |
| 865 W. Cresta Loma Dr. VOICE: (520)888-7613 |
| Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705 |

-----------------------------------------------------------------


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Steven Susbauer
 
Default rsync backup

On 11/21/2009 11:08 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>
> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> Google but their info is trivial.
>
> Is anyone using something like this?
>
> Karl
>
>
>

I am fond of straight rsync but don't use it enough to remember the
options and don't usually have time to dig through the man page. I use
it to back up various directories but not whole system.

I have used backintime in the past for system backups and liked it quite
a bit (http://backintime.le-web.org/). It is similar to Flyback or
TimeVault but I like the interface more. I believe it uses rsync and
other things in the backend. In practice it functions nearly identically
to Time Machine on my Mac, with a large snapshot and then smaller
'update' snapshots that only contain the changes from the large one. It
also works very well in Ubuntu.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 05:30 PM
don fisher
 
Default rsync backup

don fisher wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>>
>> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
>> Google but their info is trivial.
>>
>> Is anyone using something like this?
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>
>>
>
> I have the following in a a script that backs up the entire disk to a
> 500GB usb drive that I mount on /backup.
>
> sudo nice --adjustment=10 rsync -rlpgouvtS --progress -v
> --delete --modify-window=1200
> --exclude-from=/home/your_name/rsync-backup_exclude / /backup
>
> The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
> /proc/*
> /sys/*
> /dev/*
> /lost+found/*
> /var/log/lastlog
> /swapfile
> /usr2/*
> /usr3/*
> /tmp/*
> /net/*
> /mnt/*
> /cdrom/*
>
> You probably don't have all of the same mount points that I do, so edit
> to taste.
>
> don
Sorry, but /backup is also in the rsync-backup_exclude file.

don
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
| Don Fisher hdf3@comcast.net |
| 865 W. Cresta Loma Dr. VOICE: (520)888-7613 |
| Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705 |

-----------------------------------------------------------------


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Chris
 
Default rsync backup

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:08:57 -0700
Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>
> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> Google but their info is trivial.
>
> Is anyone using something like this?
>
> Karl
>
>
>

Have a look here, Karl.
http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/87/26/

--
Best regards,

Chris

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 PM
RobertHoltzman
 
Default rsync backup

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:08:57AM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.

Try :

sudo rsync -vaHz --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/sys' --exclude '*.iso'
--exclude '/media' /./media/disk/u8.04

I lose my little thing once in a while but it usually turns up.

--
Bob Holtzman
GPG key ID = 8D549279
If you think you're getting free lunch
check the price of the beer.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org