Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Tom H

Default rsync backup

>>> *sudo rsync -avg / --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list
>>> */media/disk-1/test/

>> The "g" is redundant (a includes g).

> The problem is, I remember -avg was what I used earlier. But
> I will verify what you say and try -av and see.

If your backup works with avg it will work with av but using avg will
not do any harm. I doubt that rsync will need more cpu cycles or that
it will preserve group ownership twice.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Res

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> The problem with cp -a is you can't do a incremental backup.
> Rsync is good at that.

cp -au

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Res

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Not my experience. Rsync shows loads of errors if I don't use
> root

only because the user wont have read perms on what it wants, the same
issue will happen with 'cp'.

> Your wrong. I have the USB drive such that user karl can cp
> filename /media/disk-1/ and it works fine.

if user karl can 'cp' /root/* then you have bigger issues than backup
errors.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Res

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> .............snip..............
>
>> what I do is :
>>
>> sudo rsync -auv --exclude-from=/home/tkg/exclude_list / /backup
>>
>> -u option
>> tells rsync to only back up those files that have changed since your last
>> backup.
>
> I thought that's what rsync did by default.

yup

Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Tom H

>>> -u option
>>> tells rsync to only back up those files that have changed since
>>> your last backup.

>> I thought that's what rsync did by default.

> yup

-u skips files that are newer at the rsync target

Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM
"Rallias UberNerd"

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:51:33 -0600, Res <res@ausics.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, charlie derr wrote:
>
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>> I changed it to your letters and it still does not write to
>>> the backup hd.
>>
>> just to be totally clear that wsa -vazH that wouldn't work for you? (my
>> hunch is it's a problem getting an initial copy made on the server (do
>
> yeah, somethings broke somewhere...
>
>> I'm wrong I blame Res and the overly aggressive snipping policy (as I'm
>> too lazy to scroll back up the thread and see what was pruned out). :-]
>
> LOL, I allways snip out to comment on, well, what I'm commenting on,
> unlike most others around here who reply to a reply leaving 45 pages of
> crap

Snipping by hand works wonders in that case. Have you tried
Shift-"ARROWKEY"?
Mr. R. Ubernerd