FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 PM
charlie derr
 
Default rsync backup

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Res wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, don fisher wrote:
>>> -rlpgouvtS
>> You can replace all that crud with -vaz (and I add -H as well to mine)
>> and why you'd use -u is beyond me, not if your after a known good restore
>> point anyway...
>>
>>> The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> he'd likely want to add .gvfs as well into that file.
>>
>>
> I changed it to your letters and it still does not write to
> the backup hd.
>
> Karl
>
>

just to be totally clear that wsa -vazH that wouldn't work for you? (my
hunch is it's a problem getting an initial copy made on the server (do
you have permission to create a new directory on the server with the
appropriate user(s)?) I'm no rsync wizard, but if you're 100% sure you
have no permissions issues (which is a non-trivial thing with users on
two different machines that may not have the same uidNumber (I don't
even know if that part matters actually, but it might)) then my
assumption would be that one more flag might be needed) In any case, if
I'm wrong I blame Res and the overly aggressive snipping policy (as I'm
too lazy to scroll back up the thread and see what was pruned out). :-]

good luck, I think you're probably very very close,
~c

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-22-2009, 03:09 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default rsync backup

charlie derr wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Res wrote:
>>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, don fisher wrote:
>>>> -rlpgouvtS
>>> You can replace all that crud with -vaz (and I add -H as well to mine)
>>> and why you'd use -u is beyond me, not if your after a known good restore
>>> point anyway...
>>>
>>>> The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
>>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> he'd likely want to add .gvfs as well into that file.
>>>
>>>
>> I changed it to your letters and it still does not write to
>> the backup hd.
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>
>
> just to be totally clear that wsa -vazH that wouldn't work for you? (my
> hunch is it's a problem getting an initial copy made on the server (do
> you have permission to create a new directory on the server with the
> appropriate user(s)?) I'm no rsync wizard, but if you're 100% sure you
> have no permissions issues (which is a non-trivial thing with users on
> two different machines that may not have the same uidNumber (I don't
> even know if that part matters actually, but it might)) then my
> assumption would be that one more flag might be needed) In any case, if
> I'm wrong I blame Res and the overly aggressive snipping policy (as I'm
> too lazy to scroll back up the thread and see what was pruned out). :-]
>
> good luck, I think you're probably very very close,
> ~c
>
Good thinking but I fixed that first. I have a plastic box
the HD is mounted in and it has some hardware that connects
the HD to a USB port.

Then on the computer I used $cp -a filename /media/disk-1/,
and it failed for permissions. I changed the disk-1 owner to
me, karl. That fixed that. It happens my 9.04 Ubuntu mounts a
USB HD at /media/ and names the thing disk-1.

The easy stuff is done, it's getting the letters and / and :
in the right place.

Karl




--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Res
 
Default rsync backup

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, charlie derr wrote:

> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> I changed it to your letters and it still does not write to
>> the backup hd.
>
> just to be totally clear that wsa -vazH that wouldn't work for you? (my
> hunch is it's a problem getting an initial copy made on the server (do

yeah, somethings broke somewhere...

> I'm wrong I blame Res and the overly aggressive snipping policy (as I'm
> too lazy to scroll back up the thread and see what was pruned out). :-]

LOL, I allways snip out to comment on, well, what I'm commenting on,
unlike most others around here who reply to a reply leaving 45 pages of
crap


--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Res
 
Default rsync backup

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> I changed it to your letters and it still does not write to
> the backup hd.

You are doing this root aren't you? You have set password as well?
Also, you mention HDD? Not much point in using rsync if you are sending it
to a HDD on same machine, just use cp -a /dir /dir /dir /destination, and
please don't tell me you are backing up to another partition on the same HDD
That's just a plain waste of time.


--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default rsync backup

Res wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> I changed it to your letters and it still does not write to
>> the backup hd.
>
> You are doing this root aren't you? You have set password as well?
> Also, you mention HDD? Not much point in using rsync if you are sending it
> to a HDD on same machine, just use cp -a /dir /dir /dir /destination, and
> please don't tell me you are backing up to another partition on the same HDD
> That's just a plain waste of time.
>
>

Yes to the above except I am backing up to a HD in a plastic
box that connects to a USB port. I use root even though man
rsync says you do not need to. I think you must and there are
no passwords.

The problem with cp -a is you can't do a incremental backup.
Rsync is good at that.


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
KJS
 
Default rsync backup

> Yes to the above except I am backing up to a HD in a plastic
> box that connects to a USB port. I use root even though man
> rsync says you do not need to. I think you must and there are
> no passwords.
>
> The problem with cp -a is you can't do a incremental backup.
> Rsync is good at that.
>
>

Might want to check out rsnapshot http://rsnapshot.org/

HTH


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default rsync backup

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 05:39:11 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes to the above except I am backing up to a HD in a plastic
> box that connects to a USB port. I use root even though man
> rsync says you do not need to.

You need only use root privileges for rsync if other users don't have
permission to read from the source or write to the destination.

I'd guess you've mounted the USB drive such that it is only writeable
by root. You could reconfigure it such that it is writeable by other
user(s) if you wanted to.

I know this isn't solving any problems, but I wanted to clear up that
the requirement to run as root is not in rsync, and is most likely down
to the way you've mounted the destination volume.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk
http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default rsync backup

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 05:39:11 -0700
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes to the above except I am backing up to a HD in a plastic
>> box that connects to a USB port. I use root even though man
>> rsync says you do not need to.
>
> You need only use root privileges for rsync if other users don't have
> permission to read from the source or write to the destination.
>

Not my experience. Rsync shows loads of errors if I don't use
root

> I'd guess you've mounted the USB drive such that it is only writeable
> by root. You could reconfigure it such that it is writeable by other
> user(s) if you wanted to.

Your wrong. I have the USB drive such that user karl can cp
filename /media/disk-1/ and it works fine.


>
> I know this isn't solving any problems, but I wanted to clear up that
> the requirement to run as root is not in rsync, and is most likely down
> to the way you've mounted the destination volume.
>
Not my experience so far.

73 karl



> --
> Avi Greenbury
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions
>


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Thomas K Gamble
 
Default rsync backup

On Saturday 21 November 2009 04:37:02 pm Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:08:57 -0700
> >
> > Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
> >> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
> >> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
> >>
> >> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
> >> Google but their info is trivial.
> >>
> >> Is anyone using something like this?
> >>
> >> Karl
> >
> > Have a look here, Karl.
> > http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/87/26/
>
> rsync -rtvogpclz --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list /
> /media/disk-1/rsync/
>
> In this rsync setup the excluded directories are in
> /home/karl/bin/exclude-list. This looks like:
>
> /proc/*
> /sys/*
> /dev/*
> /lost+found/*
> /var/log/lastlog/*
> /tmp/*
> /mnt/*
> /cdrom/*
> /media/*
>
> and the place I want to put the backup is on a USB hard drive
> at /media/disk-1/rsync.
>
> Most of this is from the fedora list you showed me. It runs
> but it sends NOTHING to the USB Hard Drive. What am I missing?

If you are wanting to back up your entire system, you need to run rsync as
sudo. If you don't, you'll get "permission denied" errors and nothing will be
copied except your home directory.

what I do is :

sudo rsync -auv --exclude-from=/home/tkg/exclude_list / /backup

The -a option includes most of the options in your list and the -u option
tells rsync to only back up those files that have changed since your last
backup.

If your running a script from a cron job (in /etc/cron.daily for example), you
don't need to use sudo.

>
> 73 Karl
>

--
Thomas K. Gamble
Research Technologist, System/Network Administrator
Chemical Diagnostics and Engineering (C-CDE)
Los Alamos National Laboratory
MS-E543,p:505-665-4323 f:505-665-4267

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default rsync backup

Thomas K Gamble wrote:
> On Saturday 21 November 2009 04:37:02 pm Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Chris wrote:
>>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:08:57 -0700
>>>
>>> Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>>>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
>>>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>>>>
>>>> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
>>>> Google but their info is trivial.
>>>>
>>>> Is anyone using something like this?
>>>>
>>>> Karl
>>> Have a look here, Karl.
>>> http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/87/26/
>> rsync -rtvogpclz --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list /
>> /media/disk-1/rsync/
>>
>> In this rsync setup the excluded directories are in
>> /home/karl/bin/exclude-list. This looks like:
>>
>> /proc/*
>> /sys/*
>> /dev/*
>> /lost+found/*
>> /var/log/lastlog/*
>> /tmp/*
>> /mnt/*
>> /cdrom/*
>> /media/*
>>
>> and the place I want to put the backup is on a USB hard drive
>> at /media/disk-1/rsync.
>>
>> Most of this is from the fedora list you showed me. It runs
>> but it sends NOTHING to the USB Hard Drive. What am I missing?
>
> If you are wanting to back up your entire system, you need to run rsync as
> sudo. If you don't, you'll get "permission denied" errors and nothing will be
> copied except your home directory.
>
> what I do is :
>
> sudo rsync -auv --exclude-from=/home/tkg/exclude_list / /backup
>
> The -a option includes most of the options in your list and the -u option
> tells rsync to only back up those files that have changed since your last
> backup.
>
> If your running a script from a cron job (in /etc/cron.daily for example), you
> don't need to use sudo.
>
>> 73 Karl
>>
>
Thank you! That was what I thought. I will test it later but
expect it will work. It is a lot simpler.




--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org