Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default rsync backup

don fisher wrote:

>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
>>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>>>
>>> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
>>> Google but their info is trivial.
>>>
>>> Is anyone using something like this?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> I have the following in a a script that backs up the entire disk to a
>> 500GB usb drive that I mount on /backup.

Hi Don, this is almost exactly what I want to do.

>> sudo nice --adjustment=10 rsync -rlpgouvtS --progress -v

What does "sudo nice --adjustment=10" do? I have never tried
sudo nice, ever.

>> --delete --modify-window=1200

What does "--progress -v << --delete --modify-window=1200" do?

>> --exclude-from=/home/your_name/rsync-backup_exclude / /backup
>>
>> The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
>> /proc/*
>> /sys/*
>> /dev/*
>> /lost+found/*
>> /var/log/lastlog
>> /swapfile
>> /usr2/*
>> /usr3/*
>> /tmp/*
>> /net/*
>> /mnt/*
>> /cdrom/*

Why do most entries end with /* but a few just end?

>> You probably don't have all of the same mount points that I do, so edit
>> to taste.
>>
>> don
> Sorry, but /backup is also in the rsync-backup_exclude file.

I was going to say what happened to the possible endless loop?

I will edit to taste and fool around. I did a pretty good
backup with rdiff-backup which I think uses rsync, but there
where a lot of errors listed.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-21-2009, 08:19 PM
don fisher

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> don fisher wrote:
>> don fisher wrote:

>>> I have the following in a a script that backs up the entire disk to a
>>> 500GB usb drive that I mount on /backup.
>
> Hi Don, this is almost exactly what I want to do.
>
>>> sudo nice --adjustment=10 rsync -rlpgouvtS --progress -v
>
> What does "sudo nice --adjustment=10" do? I have never tried
> sudo nice, ever.
>

>>> --delete --modify-window=1200
>
> What does "--progress -v << --delete --modify-window=1200" do?
>
>>> --exclude-from=/home/your_name/rsync-backup_exclude / /backup
>>>
>>> The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
>>> /proc/*
>>> /sys/*
>>> /dev/*
>>> /lost+found/*
>>> /var/log/lastlog
>>> /swapfile
>>> /usr2/*
>>> /usr3/*
>>> /tmp/*
>>> /net/*
>>> /mnt/*
>>> /cdrom/*
>>>

> Why do most entries end with /* but a few just end?
>

>>> You probably don't have all of the same mount points that I do, so edit
>>> to taste.
>>>
>>> don
>> Sorry, but /backup is also in the rsync-backup_exclude file.
>
> I was going to say what happened to the possible endless loop?
>

> I will edit to taste and fool around. I did a pretty good
> backup with rdiff-backup which I think uses rsync, but there
> where a lot of errors listed.
>

> 73 Karl
>
>> don

Karl,

sudo is required to process the system files. This command preserves the
owner and group, and also the creation and modification times. Without
sudo you can't modify another persons file stats.

nice --adjustment=10 is really just nice, since the default level is 10.
It lowers the priority so that if I am trying to do something else I get
a few cycles.

--progress -v shows the percentage transfer of each file.

--delete deletes files that don't exist on the source. This command will
update an existing backup only transferring the changes and removing
files that no longer exist.

--delete --modify-window=1200 sets a window on the time stamp so it does
not try and delete files that are really the same. Not sure this is
still required.

Most of the -rlpgouvtS switches are explained below. I have this comment
at the top of my script just encase I forget:-)

# -r recursive - copy directories recursively
# -l copy symlinks as symlinks
# -p preserve permissions
# -t preserve times
# -g preserve group
# -o preserve owner (root only)
# -D preserve device and special files.

I am a not a good emailer, so if there are omissions please get back.

don

Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 PM
NoOp

On 11/21/2009 10:28 AM, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> On 11/21/2009 11:08 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>>
>> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
>> Google but their info is trivial.
>>
>> Is anyone using something like this?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> I am fond of straight rsync but don't use it enough to remember the
> options and don't usually have time to dig through the man page. I use
> it to back up various directories but not whole system.

You might want to try grsync; you can set up several 'sessions' & save
those. grsync will bring up the last session that you used, so if you
just regularly save your /home or similar, it's quite easy; just open
grsync & execute from the last session.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Chris wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:08:57 -0700
> Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>>
>> I have looked at man rsync which is confusing, and tried
>> Google but their info is trivial.
>>
>> Is anyone using something like this?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Have a look here, Karl.
> http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/87/26/

rsync -rtvogpclz --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list /
/media/disk-1/rsync/

In this rsync setup the excluded directories are in
/home/karl/bin/exclude-list. This looks like:

/proc/*
/sys/*
/dev/*
/lost+found/*
/var/log/lastlog/*
/tmp/*
/mnt/*
/cdrom/*
/media/*

and the place I want to put the backup is on a USB hard drive
at /media/disk-1/rsync.

Most of this is from the fedora list you showed me. It runs
but it sends NOTHING to the USB Hard Drive. What am I missing?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

RobertHoltzman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:08:57AM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I have lost the little thing I used to call for a backup of
>> my linux. I was using rsync -avg / exempt/media exempt/dev .
>> .. /media/disk-1, or something like that.
>
> Try :
>
> sudo rsync -vaHz --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/sys' --exclude '*.iso'
> --exclude '/media' /./media/disk/u8.04
>
> I lose my little thing once in a while but it usually turns up.

I think in my one I'm playing with I am missing the "."
between '/media' / . /media. Will try it with a dot!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

don fisher wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> don fisher wrote:

>> Hi Don, this is almost exactly what I want to do.

>> What does "sudo nice --adjustment=10" do? I have never tried
>> sudo nice, ever.

>> What does "--progress -v << --delete --modify-window=1200" do?

>> Why do most entries end with /* but a few just end?

>>> Sorry, but /backup is also in the rsync-backup_exclude file.
>> I was going to say what happened to the possible endless loop?
>>

>> I will edit to taste and fool around. I did a pretty good
>> backup with rdiff-backup which I think uses rsync, but there
>> where a lot of errors listed.
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>
>>> don
>>
> Karl,
>
> sudo is required to process the system files. This command preserves the
> owner and group, and also the creation and modification times. Without
> sudo you can't modify another persons file stats.
>
> nice --adjustment=10 is really just nice, since the default level is 10.
> It lowers the priority so that if I am trying to do something else I get
> a few cycles.
>
> --progress -v shows the percentage transfer of each file.
>
> --delete deletes files that don't exist on the source. This command will
> update an existing backup only transferring the changes and removing
> files that no longer exist.
>
> --delete --modify-window=1200 sets a window on the time stamp so it does
> not try and delete files that are really the same. Not sure this is
> still required.
>
> Most of the -rlpgouvtS switches are explained below. I have this comment
> at the top of my script just encase I forget:-)
>
> # -r recursive - copy directories recursively
> # -l copy symlinks as symlinks
> # -p preserve permissions
> # -t preserve times
> # -g preserve group
> # -o preserve owner (root only)
> # -D preserve device and special files.
>
> I am a not a good emailer, so if there are omissions please get back.
>
> don

Well I quit! At least for awhile. I tried rdiff-backup and it
does write the files to my USB hard drive. All rsync help
either does not run, or it runs but does not write a thing on
my USB hard drive.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-22-2009, 04:07 AM
Chris

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:59:57 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> don fisher wrote:
> > Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> >> Hi Don, this is almost exactly what I want to do.

> >> What does "sudo nice --adjustment=10" do? I have never tried
> >> sudo nice, ever.

> >> What does "--progress -v << --delete --modify-window=1200"
> >> do?

> >> Why do most entries end with /* but a few just end?

> >> I was going to say what happened to the possible endless
> >> loop?
> >>

> >> I will edit to taste and fool around. I did a pretty good
> >> backup with rdiff-backup which I think uses rsync, but there
> >> where a lot of errors listed.
> >>

> >> 73 Karl

> > Karl,
> >
> > sudo is required to process the system files. This command
> > preserves the owner and group, and also the creation and
> > modification times. Without sudo you can't modify another persons
> > file stats.
> >
> > nice --adjustment=10 is really just nice, since the default level
> > is 10. It lowers the priority so that if I am trying to do
> > something else I get a few cycles.
> >
> > --progress -v shows the percentage transfer of each file.
> >
> > --delete deletes files that don't exist on the source. This command
> > will update an existing backup only transferring the changes and
> > removing files that no longer exist.
> >
> > --delete --modify-window=1200 sets a window on the time stamp so it
> > does not try and delete files that are really the same. Not sure
> > this is still required.
> >
> > Most of the -rlpgouvtS switches are explained below. I have this
> > comment at the top of my script just encase I forget:-)
> >
> > # -r recursive - copy directories recursively
> > # -l copy symlinks as symlinks
> > # -p preserve permissions
> > # -t preserve times
> > # -g preserve group
> > # -o preserve owner (root only)
> > # -D preserve device and special files.
> >
> > I am a not a good emailer, so if there are omissions please get
> > back.
> >
> > don
> >

> Well I quit! At least for awhile. I tried rdiff-backup and it
> does write the files to my USB hard drive. All rsync help
> either does not run, or it runs but does not write a thing on
> my USB hard drive.
>
> 73 Karl

Ahh - so are you going to use rdiff-backup? It's pretty simple and
works for my needs. Figured you might want to have a look at it.

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Res

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, don fisher wrote:

> -rlpgouvtS

You can replace all that crud with -vaz (and I add -H as well to mine)
and why you'd use -u is beyond me, not if your after a known good restore
point anyway...

> The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:

<SNIP>

he'd likely want to add .gvfs as well into that file.

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Chris wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:59:57 -0700
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> don fisher wrote:

>>> Karl,
>>>
>>> sudo is required to process the system files. This command
>>> preserves the owner and group, and also the creation and
>>> modification times. Without sudo you can't modify another persons
>>> file stats.
>>>
>>> nice --adjustment=10 is really just nice, since the default level
>>> is 10. It lowers the priority so that if I am trying to do
>>> something else I get a few cycles.
>>>
>>> --progress -v shows the percentage transfer of each file.
>>>
>>> --delete deletes files that don't exist on the source. This command
>>> will update an existing backup only transferring the changes and
>>> removing files that no longer exist.
>>>
>>> --delete --modify-window=1200 sets a window on the time stamp so it
>>> does not try and delete files that are really the same. Not sure
>>> this is still required.
>>>
>>> Most of the -rlpgouvtS switches are explained below. I have this
>>> comment at the top of my script just encase I forget:-)
>>>
>>> # -r recursive - copy directories recursively
>>> # -l copy symlinks as symlinks
>>> # -p preserve permissions
>>> # -t preserve times
>>> # -g preserve group
>>> # -o preserve owner (root only)
>>> # -D preserve device and special files.
>>>
>>> I am a not a good emailer, so if there are omissions please get
>>> back.
>>>
>>> don
>>>
>> Well I quit! At least for awhile. I tried rdiff-backup and it
>> does write the files to my USB hard drive. All rsync help
>> either does not run, or it runs but does not write a thing on
>> my USB hard drive.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> Ahh - so are you going to use rdiff-backup? It's pretty simple and
> works for my needs. Figured you might want to have a look at it.

Well rdiff-backup does write to the backup disk, but I have
not figured out how to make an incremental backup. Looked at
man and the web page.

Rsync is better but getting the proper / : and such is a real
pain. I expect that is why it is not used much except by
people working for companies.

I used the Windows XP backup on my wife's computer and it
seemed to work very well. Simple. The problem here is the
computer is 8 years old. So is the hard drive. I expect a near
term failure...

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-22-2009, 12:00 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Res wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, don fisher wrote:
>> -rlpgouvtS
>
> You can replace all that crud with -vaz (and I add -H as well to mine)
> and why you'd use -u is beyond me, not if your after a known good restore
> point anyway...
>
>> The rsync-backup_exclude fike looks like:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> he'd likely want to add .gvfs as well into that file.

I changed it to your letters and it still does not write to
the backup hd.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI