Old 11-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Richard Gliebe

Default DVD to avi

Hi all,

is there a free tool for ubuntu available to convert some DVDs
(AUDIO_TS/VIDEO_TS) to *.avi/mpeg or similar?

Thanks in advance
Richard

Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Patton Echols

On 11/20/2009 08:37 PM, Richard Gliebe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a free tool for ubuntu available to convert some DVDs
> (AUDIO_TS/VIDEO_TS) to *.avi/mpeg or similar?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Richard

The video files are in files named *.vob

Try something like :
ffmpeg -i INPUT-FILE.vob OUTPUT-FILE.avi

The defaults for ffmpeg are logical, but may not give you the result you
want. If not, try 'man ffmpeg'

You can do similar with mencoder.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Jared Greenwald

Try the dvdrip package.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Richard Gliebe

On 11/21/09 6:46 AM Jared Greenwald wrote:

Hi Jared,

> Try the dvdrip package.

thanks for this hint.

dvdrip creates me 3 *.vob files from the source DVD (3 captures)
Is it possible to create only one vob file which includes the hole DVD,
so that I'm able to convert this vob file to a avi/mov/mped file with
ffmpeg.

thanks
Richard

Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Richard Gliebe

On 11/21/09 7:28 AM Richard Gliebe wrote:
> On 11/21/09 6:46 AM Jared Greenwald wrote:
>
> Hi Jared,
>
>> Try the dvdrip package.
>
> thanks for this hint.
>
> dvdrip creates me 3 *.vob files from the source DVD (3 captures)

Sorry, not captures --> CHAPTERS <-- or titles

Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Richard Gliebe

On 11/21/09 7:28 AM Richard Gliebe wrote:
> On 11/21/09 6:46 AM Jared Greenwald wrote:
>
> Hi Jared,
>
>> Try the dvdrip package.
>
> thanks for this hint.
>
> dvdrip creates me 3 *.vob files from the source DVD (3 captures)
> Is it possible to create only one vob file which includes the hole DVD,
> so that I'm able to convert this vob file to a avi/mov/mped file with
> ffmpeg.

thanks, I got it.
Works great ;-)

Richard