Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Keith Clark

Default Dansguardian over wired vs wireless

I am having a problem with a computer accessing the internet via a proxy
connection to a machine running dansguardian.
All I get is "openfire http binding service" as a response whenever I
try to access a website via Firefox. If I set the connection to direct
connection to the internet all is fine.
The connection was wired. The wireless for a bit and now I have taken
it back to wired and this is when the problem started.

Not sure where to go with this one. It appears as though the computer
is connected to both the wired and wireless connections at the same
time. Each with their own IP addresses.

Keith

Old 11-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:33:35 -0500, Keith Clark wrote:

> I am having a problem with a computer accessing the internet via a proxy
> connection to a machine running dansguardian. All I get is "openfire
> http binding service" as a response whenever I try to access a website
> via Firefox. If I set the connection to direct connection to the
> internet all is fine. The connection was wired. The wireless for a bit
> and now I have taken it back to wired and this is when the problem
> started.
>
> Not sure where to go with this one. It appears as though the computer
> is connected to both the wired and wireless connections at the same
> time. Each with their own IP addresses.
>
> Keith

With the command "route" in a terminal you can see if there are two
default routes trough two different interfaces. I have had this happen
and in my case the solution was in the file /etc/network/interfaces. In
that file I had "auto eth0" and "auto ath0" which made both interfaces
come up even when there was no connection. (eth0 was also hardcoded in
that file with a static IP). By commenting these lines I prevented the
connections to come up automatically and then choose the connection I
wanted through NetworkManager.

This was the solution that worked for me, hope it helps you.

Aart