Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
don fisher

Default Kde or Gnome options anfter upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10

I used to be able to select KDE or gnome or even fvwm from the login
screen on startup. That capability appears to not be available after my
upgrade. Do I need to do more than the ubuntu upgrade to retain these
options, or is something else broken?

Thanks
don

Old 11-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Steve

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:27:50 -0000, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:

> I used to be able to select KDE or gnome or even fvwm from the login
> screen on startup. That capability appears to not be available after my
> upgrade. Do I need to do more than the ubuntu upgrade to retain these
> options, or is something else broken?
>
> Thanks
> don

There should be a series of options along the bottom of the screen after
you’ve clicked on your user name, Language, Keyboard then Session.

--
Steve

Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> screen on startup. That capability appears to not be
> available after my
> upgrade. Do I need to do more than the ubuntu upgrade to
> retain these
> options, or is something else broken?
>
> Thanks
> don
>
> Are you sure you are clicking on the right drop down menu?
In kdm login at least there are two drop downs just below and to the left of the sign in bars. HTH.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 PM
"Richard E. Barmann"

Steve wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:27:50 -0000, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:

I used to be able to select KDE or gnome or even fvwm from the login
screen on startup. That capability appears to not be available after my
upgrade. Do I need to do more than the ubuntu upgrade to retain these
options, or is something else broken?

Thanks
don

There should be a series of options along the bottom of the screen after
you’ve clicked on your user name, Language, Keyboard then Session.

I had no trouble upgrading to 9.10 but I also lost my Kubuntu. It shows
that all the files are there and KDE is listed in the drop down
"Sessions" menu along with xfrc (sic). I can open ubuntu and the other
OS xfrc but not KDE. I and a friend have been working on that since
9.10 was released. Any hel would be appreciated.

Dick

Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

I used to be able to select KDE or gnome or even fvwm from the login
screen on startup. That capability appears to not be available after my
upgrade. Do I need to do more than the ubuntu upgrade to retain these
options, or is something else broken?

Thanks
don

There should be a series of options along the bottom of the screen after
you’ve clicked on your user name, Language, Keyboard then Session.

I had no trouble upgrading to 9.10 but I also lost my Kubuntu. It shows
that all the files are there and KDE is listed in the drop down
"Sessions" menu along with xfrc (sic). I can open ubuntu and the other
OS xfrc but not KDE. I and a friend have been working on that since
9.10 was released. Any hel would be appreciated.

Dick

Just to get kde back, try installing kubuntu-desktop or if shows as installed then reinstall it.

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
or if nothing happens or errors show
sudo aptitude reinstall kubuntu-desktop

If none of that helps:

sudo aptitude -f install* (do this a few time especially if you see erors in the output)
Then
sudo dpkg* --configure -a

Hope that fixes you up.
Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM
don fisher

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> [...]
I noticed that gdm is in /usr/sbin, while kdm is in /usr/bin. In 9.04
they were both in /usr/sbin. Is this correct?
| Don , Fisher hdf3@comcast.net |
| 865 W. Cresta Loma Dr. VOICE: (520)888-7613 |
| Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705 |

Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

I noticed that gdm is in /usr/sbin, while kdm is in /usr/bin. In 9.04
they were both in /usr/sbin. Is this correct?
--
Must be.* That's where they are in my Karmic.
Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> In kdm login at least there are two drop downs just below and to the left of the sign in bars. HTH.

and now, in gdm login, the usual options(language, keyboard, sessions)
appear in the bottom bar only after entering a login name.

isn't that clever!
it seems that some people like to introduce useless changes, just
to create new problems.

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 AM
John Abbott

I would imagine the change was to accommodate multiple user log in, making it possible to determine the choice of environment as soon as they log in.* It couldn't be done beforehand.*

Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, John Abbott wrote:

I would imagine the change was to accommodate multiple user log in, making it possible to
determine the choice of environment as soon as they log in.* It couldn't be done beforehand.*

I don't agree. When you choosed a given session, this choice aplied only to the next login, and you got
a prompt asking wether you want to make it permanent. It didn't change other users's settings.

--
Pierre Frenkiel--