Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Rob Townley

Default flash plugin

iirc, Firefox will block flash from working when it knows the plugin
is vulnerable.
flashtester.org works today, but not last week and maybe even the week before.
i have seen this behavior a few times after major security flaws are
known to be exploited.
i don't think i did anything to fix it except apply updates and reboot.

Have you rerembered to make sure no firefox process or any flash
process is running?

$ rpm -qv firefox flash-plugin
firefox-10.0.7-1.el6.centos.x86_64
flash-plugin-11.2.202.238-release.x86_64

FlashTester.org succeeds but javatester.org fails, so ...
Tools --> AddOns --> Plugins --> "Check to see if your plugins are up to date"
which brings one to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
"Missing Java? For your safety, Firefox has disabled your outdated
version of Java. Please upgrade to the latest version."

Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Michael Hennebry

I'm feeling stupid. See below.

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012, Rob Townley wrote:

> $ rpm -qv firefox flash-plugin
> firefox-10.0.7-1.el6.centos.x86_64
> flash-plugin-11.2.202.238-release.x86_64

Oops:
rpm -qv firefox flash-plugin
firefox-10.0.7-1.el6.centos.i686
package flash-plugin is not installed

So much for all the times I've followed
links that told me it was already installed.

Alas:
yum install flash-plugin
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
* base: mirror.steadfast.net
* extras: ftp.osuosl.org
* rpmforge: mirror.hmc.edu
* updates: yum.singlehop.com
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package flash-plugin.i386 0:11.2.202.238-release will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved
================================================== ==============================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ==============================
Installing:
flash-plugin i386 11.2.202.238-release adobe-linux-i386 6.6 M

Transaction Summary
================================================== ==============================
Install 1 Package(s)

Total download size: 6.6 M
Installed size: 18 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
flash-plugin-11.2.202.238-release.i386.rpm | 6.6 MB 00:10
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f6777c67: NOKEY
Retrieving key from file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
Importing GPG key 0xF6777C67:
Userid : Adobe Systems Incorporated (Linux RPM Signing Key) <secure@adobe.com>
Package: adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch (@/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch)
From : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
Is this ok [y/N]:

How do I find out the answer?

Assuming I install it correctly this time, do I need to restart firefox?
I often have rather a lot of tabs open and there
doesn't seem to be any tidy way to save them.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
whom I teach not to run with scissors,

Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Darr247

On Monday, 17 September 2012 @02:44 UTC,
Michael Hennebry <@email.obfuscated> spake thusly:

> I often have rather a lot of tabs open and there
> doesn't seem to be any tidy way to save them.

It doesn't let you save them anymore.
If you want that ability, you have to set it to startup with the previous session's tabs... in the same section of preferences where the home page is set, if I recall correctly.

i.e. If that's actually part of what you were asking.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 09/17/2012 02:39 AM, Darr247 wrote:
> On Monday, 17 September 2012 @02:44 UTC,
> Michael Hennebry<@email.obfuscated> spake thusly:
>
>> I often have rather a lot of tabs open and there
>> doesn't seem to be any tidy way to save them.
>

> It doesn't let you save them anymore.
> If you want that ability, you have to set it to startup with the previous session's tabs... in the same section of preferences where the home page is set, if I recall correctly.
>
> i.e. If that's actually part of what you were asking.

If you want to save your current tabs use kill to kill off your Firefox
process. Next time you start Firefox all your tabs will miraculously
reappear. I found this out when I had to kill a Firefox session that
locked up.

--
_
/(_)

Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 02:39 AM, Darr247 wrote:
>> On Monday, 17 September 2012 @02:44 UTC,
>> Michael Hennebry<@email.obfuscated> spake thusly:
>>
>>> I often have rather a lot of tabs open and there
>>> doesn't seem to be any tidy way to save them.
>>
>> It doesn't let you save them anymore.
>> If you want that ability, you have to set it to startup with the
>> previous session's tabs... in the same section of preferences where the
>> home page is set, if I recall correctly.
>>
>> i.e. If that's actually part of what you were asking.
>
> If you want to save your current tabs use kill to kill off your Firefox
> process. Next time you start Firefox all your tabs will miraculously
> reappear. I found this out when I had to kill a Firefox session that
> locked up.

Not necessary. If you just log out, when it comes back up when you log in,
it should be the same. This is dependent upon your window manager, please
note, but I run kde, and it does this every day....

mark

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Michael Hennebry

Thanks for the information about firefox.
I've edited my preferences accordingly.

I still have the following issue:
yum wrote:
> Install 1 Package(s)
>
> Total size: 6.6 M
> Installed size: 18 M
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
> warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID f6777c67: NOKEY
> Retrieving key from file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
> Importing GPG key 0xF6777C67:
> Userid : Adobe Systems Incorporated (Linux RPM Signing Key) <secure@adobe.com>
> Package: adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch (@/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch)
> From : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
> Is this ok [y/N]:

How do I discover the answer?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> On 09/17/2012 02:39 AM, Darr247 wrote:
>>> On Monday, 17 September 2012 @02:44 UTC,
>>> Michael Hennebry<@email.obfuscated> spake thusly:

>>> It doesn't let you save them anymore.
>>> If you want that ability, you have to set it to startup with the
>>> previous session's tabs... in the same section of preferences where the
>>> home page is set, if I recall correctly.
>>>
>>> i.e. If that's actually part of what you were asking.
>>
>> If you want to save your current tabs use kill to kill off your Firefox
>> process. Next time you start Firefox all your tabs will miraculously
>> reappear. I found this out when I had to kill a Firefox session that
>> locked up.

This was the untidy method I knew about.
My concern was that restarting after a kill
might not let me use a installed plugin.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Darr247

On Monday, 17 September 2012 @18:03 UTC,
Michael Hennebry spake thusly:

>> f6777c67: NOKEY Retrieving key from
>> file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
>> Importing GPG key 0xF6777C67:
>> Userid : Adobe Systems Incorporated (Linux RPM Signing Key)
>> <secure@adobe.com> Package: adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch
>> (@/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch) From :
>> /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
>> Is this ok [y/N]:
>
> How do I discover the answer?

It's not entirely clear what you're asking.
The default that will occur if you just hit Enter is No, indicated by the upper-case letter in the brackets.

If you don't import the key you will either need to use the --nogpgcheck parameter whenever you install an rpm from adobe, else disable the gpg check in the yum.conf file.

I doubt that anyone here is going to counsel you to disable the gpg check.
If you don't want to automatically trust every package signed with that key, then don't install it and use the --nogpgcheck parameter each time you want to install an adobe package; if you don't mind trusting packages signed with that key, then import it.