Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Is there a CONF file for groups???

Hi --

I have set up a server with Karmic and about 30 users, each of which
belongs to group "students." This group is their primary and only
group. The problem is that they cannot log into the system! Not
locally, not via ssh, not via samba. It would appear that new groups
do not have, by default, logon privilege. Does anybody know of a conf
file that would give specific privileges (such as access to the
system) to a group?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Ian Coetzee

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM, <pclapham@windstream.net> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I have set up a server with Karmic and about 30 users, each of which belongs
> to group "students." This group is their primary and only group. The problem
> is that they cannot log into the system! Not locally, not via ssh, not via
> samba. It would appear that new groups do not have, by default, logon
> privilege. Does anybody know of a conf file that would give specific
> privileges (such as access to the system) to a group?
>
> Thanks.

Not from the top of my head, however I just tested (on a 9.04 box mind
you) and this is the results

root@nagios-server:~# useradd test
root@nagios-server:~# groupadd testers
root@nagios-server:~# usermod -G testers
root@nagios-server:~# usermod -G testers test
root@nagios-server:~# passwd test
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully

login as: test
Server refused our key
test@192.168.1.94's password:
Linux nagios-server 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18
18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686

logging in a new user + group and the user can log in

Come to think of it there IS a file that would deny users login
rights, however I would have to google it (had to use it 2 years or so
ago to deny some hackers from entering the system)

HTH
Ian

Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Ian Coetzee

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM, *<pclapham@windstream.net> wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> I have set up a server with Karmic and about 30 users, each of which belongs
>> to group "students." This group is their primary and only group. The problem
>> is that they cannot log into the system! Not locally, not via ssh, not via
>> samba. It would appear that new groups do not have, by default, logon
>> privilege. Does anybody know of a conf file that would give specific
>> privileges (such as access to the system) to a group?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Not from the top of my head, however I just tested (on a 9.04 box mind
> you) and this is the results
>
> root@nagios-server:~# useradd test
> root@nagios-server:~# groupadd testers
> root@nagios-server:~# usermod -G testers
> root@nagios-server:~# usermod -G testers test
> root@nagios-server:~# passwd test
> Enter new UNIX password:
> Retype new UNIX password:
> passwd: password updated successfully
>
> login as: test
> Server refused our key
> test@192.168.1.94's password:
> Linux nagios-server 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18
> 18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686
>
> logging in a new user + group and the user can log in
>
> Come to think of it there IS a file that would deny users login
> rights, however I would have to google it (had to use it 2 years or so
> ago to deny some hackers from entering the system)
>
> HTH
> Ian

After a quick google[1] I came across this[2] site which explains
everything pretty well

[1] http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=LNU&q=openssh+deny+user+ubuntu&bt nG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

[2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Configuring

Regards
Ian

Old 11-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Tom H

> I have set up a server with Karmic and about 30 users, each of which belongs
> to group "students." This group is their primary and only group. The problem
> is that they cannot log into the system! Not locally, not via ssh, not via
> samba. It would appear that new groups do not have, by default, logon
> privilege. Does anybody know of a conf file that would give specific
> privileges (such as access to the system) to a group?

Is the GID of students below 1000?