Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Default newsgroup iso email for this list

Hello,

As asked:
>On Thu, November 19, 2009 11:19, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

>> I don't understand why people use email for this list when there is a
>> perfect newsgroup, gmane.linux.ubuntu.user, for it. Using that it will
>> not clutter your mailbox, and using a newsreader like Pan you get good
>> treading. I started reading this list by email but soon switched to the
>> newsgroup, I find that much more comfortable.

> Interesting.
>
> Could you start a new thread and give detailed information about your
> configuration?
> Do you use usenet only for reading, or also for writing messages?

Configuration is very simple: with your newsreader you subscribe to
gmane.linux.ubuntu.user and you can read the group in your favorite
newsreader. You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
email-address in the From: header. Gmane will send all your messages to
the email-list and will post all email-list messages in the newsgroup.
Depending on your newsreader all messages are threaded and/or ordered by
date in one place.

Aart

Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC)
Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
> email-address in the From: header.

And that is reason enough to not use gamne. Sending a valid eddress to
Usenet is to invite butt-loads of spam.
Here, a limited mailing list, yes. No to validity on Usenet. Why
over-tax your mail filters?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 11-20-2009, 12:50 AM
NoOp

On 11/19/2009 04:15 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC)
> Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
>> email-address in the From: header.
>
> And that is reason enough to not use gamne. Sending a valid eddress to
> Usenet is to invite butt-loads of spam.
> Here, a limited mailing list, yes. No to validity on Usenet. Why
> over-tax your mail filters?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Huh?

I use gmane to access over 20 lists & post to at least 5 of them on a
daily basis. Your email address' is very much available via the email
archives on this list, albeit they are marked "at", as in:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-November/202477.html. But
any spam spider can parse that without issue.

Of course, dit's that haven't figured out how to configure their email
client so that it doesn't include the attribution email address in the
process (hint: 'Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:' - sorry
Aart, but the 'Wizard' has already posted your email address in the
response), certainly shouldn't be... never mind.

<http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-users-archive/browse_thread/thread/198d993b13f1e75b/9ad2f72b45f05c8e?hl=en&q="newsgroup+iso+email+for+ this+list"#9ad2f72b45f05c8e>

Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Derek Broughton

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC)
> Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
>> email-address in the From: header.
>
> And that is reason enough to not use gamne. Sending a valid eddress to
> Usenet is to invite butt-loads of spam.

As I already said - gmane is NOT Usenet. It's merely nntp.

> Here, a limited mailing list, yes. No to validity on Usenet. Why
> over-tax your mail filters?

My mail filters have never been taxed by the fact that I post here.
--
derek

Old 11-20-2009, 05:47 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:50:12 -0800
NoOp wrote:

> Of course, dit's that haven't figured out how to configure their email
> client...

Point taken. Thanks.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that
there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy with the proof."

Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:15:34 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC) Aart Koelewijn
> <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid email-address
>> in the From: header.
>
> And that is reason enough to not use gamne. Sending a valid eddress to
> Usenet is to invite butt-loads of spam. Here, a limited mailing list,
> yes. No to validity on Usenet. Why over-tax your mail filters?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I have used my present email-address for over 10 years. I have used it on
a number off newsgroups and it is mentioned on my website in several
places. In my mailbox I get less then 1 spammail a day, I can live with
that.

OK, my ISP has good spam-filtering and I use my own spamfilter, but I
would need that anyway.

Aart

Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:50:12 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/19/2009 04:15 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC) Aart Koelewijn
>> <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
>>> email-address in the From: header.
>>
>> And that is reason enough to not use gamne. Sending a valid eddress to
>> Usenet is to invite butt-loads of spam. Here, a limited mailing list,
>> yes. No to validity on Usenet. Why over-tax your mail filters?
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>
> Huh?
>
> I use gmane to access over 20 lists & post to at least 5 of them on a
> daily basis. Your email address' is very much available via the email
> archives on this list, albeit they are marked "at", as in:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-
November/202477.html.
> But any spam spider can parse that without issue.
>
> Of course, dit's that haven't figured out how to configure their email
> client so that it doesn't include the attribution email address in the
> process (hint: 'Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:' - sorry
> Aart, but the 'Wizard' has already posted your email address in the
> response), certainly shouldn't be... never mind.

I don't mind at all ;-)

Aart

Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Thu, November 19, 2009 21:13, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As asked:
>>On Thu, November 19, 2009 11:19, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
>>> I don't understand why people use email for this list when there is a
>>> perfect newsgroup, gmane.linux.ubuntu.user, for it. Using that it will
>>> not clutter your mailbox, and using a newsreader like Pan you get good
>>> treading. I started reading this list by email but soon switched to the
>>> newsgroup, I find that much more comfortable.
>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Could you start a new thread and give detailed information about your
>> configuration?
>> Do you use usenet only for reading, or also for writing messages?
>
> Configuration is very simple: with your newsreader you subscribe to
> gmane.linux.ubuntu.user and you can read the group in your favorite
> newsreader. You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
> email-address in the From: header. Gmane will send all your messages to
> the email-list and will post all email-list messages in the newsgroup.
> Depending on your newsreader all messages are threaded and/or ordered by
> date in one place.

Thank you. I will investigate this.
There seems to be a NNTP webinterface for Squirrelmail too.
http://squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=112

Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Thu, November 19, 2009 21:13, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As asked:
>>On Thu, November 19, 2009 11:19, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
>>> I don't understand why people use email for this list when there is a
>>> perfect newsgroup, gmane.linux.ubuntu.user, for it. Using that it will
>>> not clutter your mailbox, and using a newsreader like Pan you get good
>>> treading. I started reading this list by email but soon switched to the
>>> newsgroup, I find that much more comfortable.
>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Could you start a new thread and give detailed information about your
>> configuration?
>> Do you use usenet only for reading, or also for writing messages?
>
> Configuration is very simple: with your newsreader you subscribe to
> gmane.linux.ubuntu.user and you can read the group in your favorite
> newsreader. You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
> email-address in the From: header. Gmane will send all your messages to
> the email-list and will post all email-list messages in the newsgroup.
> Depending on your newsreader all messages are threaded and/or ordered by
> date in one place.

One more question.
You mentioned the group, but what is the preferred usenet server?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Fri, November 20, 2009 13:15, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> On Thu, November 19, 2009 21:13, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As asked:

>>> Interesting.
>>>
>>> Could you start a new thread and give detailed information about your
>>> configuration?
>>> Do you use usenet only for reading, or also for writing messages?
>>
>> Configuration is very simple: with your newsreader you subscribe to
>> gmane.linux.ubuntu.user and you can read the group in your favorite
>> newsreader. You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
>> email-address in the From: header. Gmane will send all your messages to
>> the email-list and will post all email-list messages in the newsgroup.
>> Depending on your newsreader all messages are threaded and/or ordered by
>> date in one place.
>
> One more question.
> You mentioned the group, but what is the preferred usenet server?

Never mind. It's news.gmane.org, right?