Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
"Rallias UberNerd"

Default newsgroup iso email for this list

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:15:34 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC)
> Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> You can also post to the group as long as you use a valid
>> email-address in the From: header.
>
> And that is reason enough to not use gamne. Sending a valid eddress to
> Usenet is to invite butt-loads of spam.
> Here, a limited mailing list, yes. No to validity on Usenet. Why
> over-tax your mail filters?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

To annoy the maintainer of your service. Of corse when thats you, there
can be problems. My grandma and I have subscribed to a ton of mailing
lists so now we have a seperate machine for our accounts, along with a
dedicated download-and-foreword machine (a machine that downloads the mail
from the provider and pretends to be the sender).

Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 AM
user1

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As asked:
>>On Thu, November 19, 2009 11:19, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
>>> I don't understand why people use email for this list when there is a

I find it easier to use a newsreader (I use Pan) instead of your e-mail
client for managing your mailing lists.

Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).

Add as news server:

Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"

Add your e-mail address:

Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"

Then Search for "gmane.comp.video.pitivi.general" as group name (use
search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found group and
choose
"subscribe".

Please note, that there is thousands of other mailing lists out there.

gmane.linux.ubuntu.user (is the group for ubuntu-users mailing listen)

A practical setup item:

Pan - Edit - Edit Preferences - Behaviour - Groups - mark "Get new
headers in subscribed grupos on start up"

When you post/follow up first time you will receive an e-mail asking
you to reply to the mail, and when you have done that you are up to use
the pitivi mailing list using Pan.

This should be done for each new newsgrups you subscribe to.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Detlef Lechner

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 06:15 +0000, user1 wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > As asked:

> I find it easier to use a newsreader (I use Pan) instead of your e-mail
> client for managing your mailing lists.
>
> Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).
>
> Add as news server:
>
> Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"
>
> Add your e-mail address:
>
> Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"

I have done so. But Pan reports: "news.gmane.org requires a password,
but none is set."

> Then Search for "gmane.comp.video.pitivi.general" as group name (use
> search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found group and
> choose
> "subscribe".

Pan does not list this group. No groups starting with »gmane.« at all.
But other groups provided by another German news server.

What went wrong?

Detlef Lechner

Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
"David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)"

Detlef Lechner wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 06:15 +0000, user1 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As asked:

>> I find it easier to use a newsreader (I use Pan) instead of your e-mail
>> client for managing your mailing lists.
>>
>> Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).
>>
>> Add as news server:
>>
>> Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"
>>
>> Add your e-mail address:
>>
>> Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"
>>

> I have done so. But Pan reports: "news.gmane.org requires a password,
> but none is set."
>

>> Then Search for "gmane.comp.video.pitivi.general" as group name (use
>> search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found group and
>> choose
>> "subscribe".
>>

> Pan does not list this group. No groups starting with »gmane.« at all.
> But other groups provided by another German news server.
>
> What went wrong?
>
> Detlef Lechner

Sorry to bother you, but are there any other news servers besides gmane?
Can one get usenet?

DRL

Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Detlef Lechner

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 18:36 +0200, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:

> Sorry to bother you, but are there any other news servers besides gmane?
> Can one get usenet?

Yes. There are many. Apparently the majority of them wants to be paid
for their services.
I know of two free news servers: news.online.de and news.rwth-aachen.de.
(My knowledge is not up-to-date.)

Regards,

Detlef

Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Shannon McMackin

Detlef Lechner wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 06:15 +0000, user1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:13:41 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As asked:
>> I find it easier to use a newsreader (I use Pan) instead of your e-mail
>> client for managing your mailing lists.
>>
>> Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).
>>
>> Add as news server:
>>
>> Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"
>>
>> Add your e-mail address:
>>
>> Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"
>
> I have done so. But Pan reports: "news.gmane.org requires a password,
> but none is set."
>
>> Then Search for "gmane.comp.video.pitivi.general" as group name (use
>> search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found group and
>> choose
>> "subscribe".
>
> Pan does not list this group. No groups starting with »gmane.« at all.
> But other groups provided by another German news server.
>
> What went wrong?
>
> Detlef Lechner

The group on gmane does not require a password, but 1st, you must
subscribe to the ubuntu-users mailing list with a valid e-mail address,
then, when you create you news server profile you must associate the
same e-mail address with the account.

I'm speaking from a Thunderbird perspective, but I've used Pan off and
on over the years and it worked the same way.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
NoOp

On 01/06/2010 10:26 AM, Shannon McMackin wrote:
> The group on gmane does not require a password, but 1st, you must
> subscribe to the ubuntu-users mailing list with a valid e-mail address,
> then, when you create you news server profile you must associate the
> same e-mail address with the account.

Nope. The only thing required by gmane.org is a valid email address. No
password, no subscribing first to the list via email etc.

When you first _post_ to a new list, you will be sent a verifying email
from gmane.org to which you must reply, example:

> You have sent a message to be posted on the
> gmane.comp.openoffice.devel.user-experience newsgroup.
>
> Before the message is posted on the newsgroup, you have
> to confirm that you exist. Just reply to this message, and
> the message will be posted.
>

> You have to respond within one week.
>
> -- Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org http://gmane.org/

Once you've responed & gmane.org has verified that you are replying from
a valid email account, you'll receive a response back, example:

> You are now authorized to post to the
> gmane.comp.openoffice.devel.user-experience newsgroup.
>
> The original message you sent to the newsgroup will be
> posted within ten minutes.
>
> If you have any questions, they are most likely answered
> in the FAQ: <URL: http://gmane.org/faq.php>.
>
> -- Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org http://gmane.org/

That's it.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 AM
Shannon McMackin

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/06/2010 10:26 AM, Shannon McMackin wrote:
>> The group on gmane does not require a password, but 1st, you must
>> subscribe to the ubuntu-users mailing list with a valid e-mail address,
>> then, when you create you news server profile you must associate the
>> same e-mail address with the account.
>
> Nope. The only thing required by gmane.org is a valid email address. No
> password, no subscribing first to the list via email etc.
>
> When you first _post_ to a new list, you will be sent a verifying email
> from gmane.org to which you must reply, example:
>
>> You have sent a message to be posted on the
>> gmane.comp.openoffice.devel.user-experience newsgroup.
>>
>> Before the message is posted on the newsgroup, you have
>> to confirm that you exist. Just reply to this message, and
>> the message will be posted.
>>

>> You have to respond within one week.
>>
>> -- Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org http://gmane.org/
>
> Once you've responed & gmane.org has verified that you are replying from
> a valid email account, you'll receive a response back, example:
>
>> You are now authorized to post to the
>> gmane.comp.openoffice.devel.user-experience newsgroup.
>>
>> The original message you sent to the newsgroup will be
>> posted within ten minutes.
>>
>> If you have any questions, they are most likely answered
>> in the FAQ: <URL: http://gmane.org/faq.php>.
>>
>> -- Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org http://gmane.org/
>
> That's it.

Maybe I'm confused with some of the other lists I've used via gmane. I
could swear it's happened that way at least once.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Detlef Lechner

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:01:40 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 01/06/2010 10:26 AM, Shannon McMackin wrote: ...

> Nope. The only thing required by gmane.org is a valid email address. No
> password, no subscribing first to the list via email etc.
>
> When you first _post_ to a new list, you will be sent a verifying email
> from gmane.org to which you must reply, example:
>
>> You have sent a message to be posted on the
>> gmane.comp.openoffice.devel.user-experience newsgroup.
>>
>> Before the message is posted on the newsgroup, you have to confirm that
>> you exist. Just reply to this message, and the message will be posted.

>> You have to respond within one week.

>> -- Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org http://gmane.org/

> Once you've responed & gmane.org has verified that you are replying from
> a valid email account, you'll receive a response back, example:

>> You are now authorized to post to the
>> gmane.comp.openoffice.devel.user-experience newsgroup.
>>
>> The original message you sent to the newsgroup will be posted within
>> ten minutes.

> That's it.

Thank you for explaining. I can confirm that NoOp's statements worked for
me.
But Pan makes it a bit harder if one has several email addresses and
wants to use them to diminish the number of received spam.

Detlef