Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Patton Echols

Default cut a movie (ffmpeg, vlc, mplayer, gstreamer)

On 11/19/2009 12:12 AM, Thibaut wrote:
> Hi
>
> I try to cut a movie I just recorded from a rtsp server.
>
> The movie is:
>
> $ ffmpeg -i mymovie.avi

> Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 50.00
> (50/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
> Input #0, avi, from 'La-revanche-de-Staline.avi':
> Duration: 00:00:00.50, start: 0.000000, bitrate: -2147483 kb/s
> Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 480x576 [PAR 32:15 DAR
> 16:9], 15000 kb/s, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 50 tbc
> Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 192 kb/s
> At least one output file must be specified
>

> I tried:
> mencoder -ss 00:04:48 -endpos 00:51:00 -ovc copy -oac copy mymovie.avi
> -o result.avi
> but it cuts just the end of the movie. Not the first 4 minutes
>
> or:
> ffmpeg -sameq -ss 310 -t 3162 -i mymovie result.avi
> It work perfectly fine for the video but not for the sound
>
> Do you have a solution ?
> (a solution with gstreamer would be perfect)
>
> Any idea?
> t.

I know I _have_ done this with ffmpeg, but as you have probably found
the man page is a pain. I use avidemux for simple clipping. A good gui
for finding the right spots to cut and can recode basically any way you
want. (A bit of a pain to figure out the first time, but you can save
your defaults) If you need a CLI solution, post back and I will see if
I can find my notes.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Rashkae

Thibaut wrote:
> Hi
>
> I try to cut a movie I just recorded from a rtsp server.
>
> The movie is:
>
> $ ffmpeg -i mymovie.avi

> Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 50.00
> (50/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
> Input #0, avi, from 'La-revanche-de-Staline.avi':
> Duration: 00:00:00.50, start: 0.000000, bitrate: -2147483 kb/s
> Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 480x576 [PAR 32:15 DAR
> 16:9], 15000 kb/s, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 50 tbc
> Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 192 kb/s
> At least one output file must be specified
>

> I tried:
> mencoder -ss 00:04:48 -endpos 00:51:00 -ovc copy -oac copy mymovie.avi
> -o result.avi
> but it cuts just the end of the movie. Not the first 4 minutes

Just ideas, no knowledge.

I notice that your ffmpet -i indicates that ffmpeg has no clue what the
duration or bitrate of the movie really is. I'm thinking that whatever
wrote the avi file did not properly finish the avi index, which should
have been appended to the end of the file, and without which mplayer
will not be able to seek.

Try using mencoder with oac/ovc copy to create a new avi file form which
to work. Alternatively, I believe there are switches to request
mplayer/mencoder rebuild the avi index, but I'm not sure what they are,
and you would probably prefer having a properly muxed file to work with
in any case.