Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 AM
Vitorio Okio

Default just upgrated from Jaunty to Karmic w/out any problems

I just wanted to share my experience upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic on
Dell Latitude d820 with NVIDIA video and infamous Broadcom 4312 wireless
cards.

BTW, interestingly enough starting from Feisty I've never had any
problems with my Broadcom card, while a lot of people complained. However
with the release of Karmic the amount of complaints related to this card
grew so much that I was quite scared to upgrade.

Well, I've just upgraded without 0 (zero) problems. Everything worked out
of the box as a charm. I used it so far only for about an hour, so some
problems might show up yet. But so far so good.

Though I must say about a much faster boot it's a falsehood as usual :-).

On my laptop with dual core 1.84 CPU and 1Gb of RAM it takes 60 seconds
(it was 50 in Jaunty) from the moment I press Enter in GRUB menu to the
Login Screen and then additional 15-20 seconds after I press Enter in
Login Screen to full load. That's pretty slow. Shutting down is slower
for about 5 seconds comparing with Jaunty as well.

Well, I guess I can leave with it. Otherwise Karmic IMHO is quite a step
forward. Looks very, very nice.