Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM
bqz69

Default Problem in mounting disks

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 09:32:28 pm arshad wrote:
> hi all,
> i have two problems with mounting disks:

I use pysdm program (to be installed with synaptic) to mount my usb disk

Old 11-18-2009, 07:58 PM
bqz69

> > Edit the /etc/sudoers file, and add to the end:
> > username ALL=(ALL) ALL
> > One line for each user.
> > Then save the file.
> > See man sudoers

> Probably not a good idea.

Please tell us why, I would like to know :-)

Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Roger

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM, bqz69 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>> > Edit the /etc/sudoers file, and add to the end:
>> > username * * * * * * * *ALL=(ALL) ALL
>> > One line for each user.
>> > Then save the file.
>> > See man sudoers
>
>> Probably not a good idea.
>
> Please tell us why, I would like to know :-)

Because that would give each user the ability to "sudo whatever" and
that and giving them root access
is the same. Unless I have overlooked something. Just mount the drive
with a specific group id and add the users to
that group and they should have access to the drives.

-r

Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 PM
arshad

ok i added the following lines to /etc/fstab and seems to work now

/dev/sda1 /media/Cdrive ntfs-3g ro,auto,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

/dev/sda2 /media/Ddrive ntfs-3g ro,auto,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

UUID=886C-4796 /media/Pendrive vfat user,auto,fmask=0111,dmask=0000** 0** 0

by the way i don't know why /media/Pendrive directory is not accessible by other users. any idea?

also @ Roger can you please tell me how to give specific user/groups access?

thank you very much

Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Roger

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM, arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok i added the following lines to /etc/fstab and seems to work now
>
> /dev/sda1 /media/Cdrive ntfs-3g ro,auto,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
> /dev/sda2 /media/Ddrive ntfs-3g ro,auto,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
>
> UUID=886C-4796 /media/Pendrive vfat user,auto,fmask=0111,dmask=0000** 0** 0
>

> by the way i don't know why /media/Pendrive directory is not accessible by
> other users. any idea?
>
> also @ Roger can you please tell me how to give specific user/groups access?
>
> thank you very much

>>> Probably not a good idea.
>>
>> Please tell us why, I would like to know :-)
>>

>> --
>>

> Because that would give each user the ability to "sudo whatever" and
> that and giving them root access
> is the same. Unless I have overlooked something. Just mount the drive
> with a specific group id and add the users to
> that group and they should have access to the drives.
>
> -r

I think this link will help you a lot.

-r