-   -   Karmic: Xorg + HAL, input device properties won't work (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/282527-karmic-xorg-hal-input-device-properties-wont-work.html)

Johannes Truschnigg 11-18-2009 03:25 PM

Karmic: Xorg + HAL, input device properties won't work

Hello list,

I'm trying to enforce system-wide X-server keyboard rules via HAL. The
procedure works perfectly fine on Gentoo GNU/Linux with comparable software
(read: similar versions of hald and xorg-server), but I cannot get it to work
on Ubuntu Karmic.

I edited /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi to read like the following
(comments omitted):

----snip----
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
<merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
<merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">xorg</merge>
<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">de</merge>
<merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string">nodeadkeys</merge>
<merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">compose:caps</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>
----snip----

HAL is absolutely silent when being restarted, unless I garble the XML on
purpose - only then, error messages appear in the logs. Therefore, I assume my
file is well-formed and parses correctly.

My keyboard settings, however, don't change at all. Querying the keyboard via
HAL with the above configuration in place and loaded/interpreted yields the
following:

----snip----
input.xkb.options = 'lv3:ralt_switch' (string)
[...]
input.xkb.rules = 'xorg' (string)
input.xkb.model = 'pc105' (string)
input.x11_driver = 'evdev' (string)
[...]
input.xkb.layout = 'de' (string)
----snip----

Please note that the device in question should match on "info.capabilities",
"input.keyboard":

----snip----
info.capabilities = { 'input', 'input.keyboard', 'input.keypad',
'input.keys', 'button' } (string list)

What the hell is going on here?

Thanks in advance for hints and replies!
--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes@truschnigg.info )

www: http://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
jabber: johannes.truschnigg@gmail.com

Please do not bother me with HTML-eMail or attachments. Thank you.