Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 AM
jiten jha

Default How to configure IP Table server

Hello Tear,

I want to configure IP Table server. How to configure it.
Is there any way to configure iptable server only in one NIC card?

I have not router. I have only switch only. one ISP connection .

IP Table server is connect on LAN (local area network). All pc are connect to a switch and IP Table server is also connect to switch.

This configuration will work or not. Please give me suggestion .

--
Regards
Jitendra Jha

Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 AM
"Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)"

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tear,
>
> I want to configure IP Table server. How to configure it.
> Is there any way to configure iptable server only in one NIC card?
>
> I have not router. I have only switch only. one ISP connection .
> IP Table server is connect on LAN (local area network). All pc are connect
> to a switch and IP Table server is also connect to switch.
>
> This configuration will work or not. Please give me suggestion .
>
> --
> Regards
> Jitendra Jha
> Jr. Linux System Administrator
> Hotwax Media Inc., Indore
> +91-9893325765
> www.hotwaxmedia.com

Pardon my ignorance. But what is a iptables SERVER?

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)

Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Christopher Chan

jiten jha wrote:
> Hello Tear,
>
> I want to configure IP Table server. How to configure it.
> Is there any way to configure iptable server only in one NIC card?
>
> I have not router. I have only switch only. one ISP connection .
> IP Table server is connect on LAN (local area network). All pc are
> connect to a switch and IP Table server is also connect to switch.
>
> This configuration will work or not. Please give me suggestion .

I'm not Tear but if I may, may I ask what you wish to achieve?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Sambit Bikas Pal

Are you trying to build a router or firewall using iptables? What is
it exactly that you want to do?

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:42, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tear,
>
> I want to configure IP Table server. How to configure it.
> Is there any way to configure iptable server only in one NIC card?
>
> I have not router. I have only switch only. one ISP connection .
> IP Table server is connect on LAN (local area network). All pc are connect
> to a switch and IP Table server is also connect to switch.
>
> This configuration will work or not. Please give me suggestion .

--
Sambit Bikas Pal
MS 4th Year
Indian Institute Of Science Education & Research Kolkata,

Web: http://www.botcyb.org
OpenPGP Key: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8E57F8B897D372B3

Old 11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:42:12 +0530, jiten jha wrote:

> Hello Tear,
>
> I want to configure IP Table server. How to configure it. Is there any
> way to configure iptable server only in one NIC card?
>
> I have not router. I have only switch only. one ISP connection . IP
> Table server is connect on LAN (local area network). All pc are connect
> to a switch and IP Table server is also connect to switch.
>
> This configuration will work or not. Please give me suggestion .

I'm not familiar with what you call IP Table server, but I once had a
network where several computers were connected to a switch, which in turn
was connected to internet. In this case one of the computers has to be
configured as a nameserver. You need bind for that. The other computers
will have to use the computer where bind runs as their nameserver. I
don't remembers details as this was many years ago, but I remember I had
to use the ethernet port on the computer where bind runs as both etho and
eth0:1 (or something like that). The configuration was a bit complicated
at that time, but there may be some tools around nowadays which could
make configuration easier. The easiest way is to replace the switch by a
router ;-)

Aart

Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 AM
jiten jha

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:42:12 +0530, jiten jha wrote:

> Hello Tear,

> I want to configure IP Table server. How to configure it. Is there any

> way to configure iptable server only in one NIC card?

> I have not router. I have only switch only. one ISP connection . IP

> Table server is connect on LAN (local area network). All pc are connect

> to a switch and IP Table server is also connect to switch.

> This configuration will work or not. Please give me suggestion .

I'm not familiar with what you call IP Table server, but I once had a

network where several computers were connected to a switch, which in turn

was connected to internet. In this case one of the computers has to be

configured as a nameserver. You need bind for that. The other computers

will have to use the computer where bind runs as their nameserver. I

don't remembers details as this was many years ago, but I remember I had

to use the ethernet port on the computer where bind runs as both etho and

eth0:1 (or something like that). The configuration was a bit complicated

at that time, but there may be some tools around nowadays which could

make configuration easier. The easiest way is to replace the switch by a

router ;-)

Aart

Hello friends,

Some one who send me that they do not have knowledge about ip table then read linux first then reply on mailing list.

Thanks for reply Aart Koelewijn, Sambit Bikas Pal

I just want to configure ip table in my local network . No one will be access any porn sites .

Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:54:02 +0530, jiten jha wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aart Koelewijn
> <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:42:12 +0530, jiten jha wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Tear,
>> >
>> > I want to configure IP Table server. How to configure it. Is there
>> > any way to configure iptable server only in one NIC card?
>> >
>> > I have not router. I have only switch only. one ISP connection . IP
>> > Table server is connect on LAN (local area network). All pc are
>> > connect to a switch and IP Table server is also connect to switch.
>> >
>> > This configuration will work or not. Please give me suggestion .
>>
>> I'm not familiar with what you call IP Table server, but I once had a
>> network where several computers were connected to a switch, which in
>> turn was connected to internet. In this case one of the computers has
>> to be configured as a nameserver. You need bind for that. The other
>> computers will have to use the computer where bind runs as their
>> nameserver. I don't remembers details as this was many years ago, but I
>> remember I had to use the ethernet port on the computer where bind runs
>> as both etho and eth0:1 (or something like that). The configuration was
>> a bit complicated at that time, but there may be some tools around
>> nowadays which could make configuration easier. The easiest way is to
>> replace the switch by a router ;-)
>>
>> Aart
>>

>> --
>>

> Hello friends,
>
> Some one who send me that they do not have knowledge about ip table then
> read linux first then reply on mailing list.
>
> Thanks for reply Aart Koelewijn, Sambit Bikas Pal
>
> I just want to configure ip table in my local network . No one will be
> access any porn sites .

I suppose you mean the packet iptables as a firewall. I don't use it
myself, so can't be off much help. But as far as I know, if you have your
network through a switch, one off you computers will have to be the
nameserver and all your outside traffic will have to go, or can be
configured to go through this nameserver. Then I expect configuring the
firewall on this server will be sufficient.

Aart